Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opinions Please...
tenderhearts 06:31 AM 09-28-2010
I have one part time opening left, I wasn't in a hurry to fill it although it would be really nice, I guess I'm waiting for the "perfect" one. So here's what I would like your thoughts on. Right now my group is so good compared to what I've had the last couple years. Friday I had an interview for a boy who is kindergarten. He would only be here from 7:20ish until he gets the bus at about 10:50, short time seems like an easy $85/week, he would also be here all day on no school days. I haven't had any school age kids for a few years and the last one I had he was with me since he was 15 mo. I'm afraid of ruining the "good" group I have right now, so what are your opinions on a kinder boy school age, would you do it? He seemed like a nice boy, dad did say he can get a little rambunctious at times, I have another boy here who is very close to his age, I haven't had 2 boys that age here in a long time.
The other reason I'm a litte nervous is having 2 babies here if anything in my day needs to change because of one of them (which luckily that hasn't happened yet) I can do that, but I would have to get his lunch at a certain time plus get him out to the bus stop,which I wouldn't have to take all my daycare kids, between my husband and my daughter someone would be able to take him and wait with him, but no matter what I have to do these things at certain times.
So would you do this? I would really like to fill this last spot, the extra money would be really nice....thanks
missnikki 07:26 AM 09-28-2010
You could try it on a trial basis, with a temp contract. Tell the family that he is not the age you are looking to fill the slot with because of the reasons you mentioned (time of day routines), but if they would be willing to see how it works, so would you.

OR, to be honest it sounds like you are not that interested anyway. You could hold out for the perfect fit, at a cost of $85/week. That one is up to you to decide the value of holding out indefinitely.
Childminder 08:17 AM 09-28-2010
If you have any doubts or hesitation, DON'T DO IT.
DBug 08:57 AM 09-28-2010
From someone has done that scenario before, it is quite do-able, especially since you have your husband and daughter to help out. The babies will get used to your new schedule relatively quickly.

But, as missnicki pointed out, you don't sound too terribly anxious to do it . If you're not that into the idea, tell the parents you just don't think the schedule would work for you.
tenderhearts 10:19 AM 09-28-2010
It's not that I'm not interested I'm just worried about a boy that age and mixing with the other 4 and 1 5 yr old if it would get too hard, like too hyper, wrestling just more misbehaving. That's what I had with my last group and I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm not sure that a 2 or 3 yr old would be "easier" only with the exception I wouldn't be adjusting someones lunch and having to get someone to the bus stop. I guess I'm just afraid to mess up my pleasant group which if I look at it that way I'd never take on any kids lol
DancingQueen 10:22 AM 09-28-2010
girls that age can be just as difficult. I don't think it is an age/sex thing as much as it is a child/personality/parenting thing that would have a child come in and upset the groove you have going.
I know how you feel though. the family that just left me seriously upset my groove.
Live and Learn 10:58 AM 09-28-2010
I think that there are too many small adjustment to make for merely $2 extra a day. Encourage her to pick up by 5:00 or hold out for a better match. Just my opinion!! Sounds like you have a very nice group of kids right now.
tenderhearts 11:25 AM 09-28-2010
Thanks everyone. Well he would only be here from about 7:20ish until 10:50. and then wed until 10:25. So I's not that long for $85/week. I know you're right it all depends on the personality ect of a child. I do have in my contract the 2 week trial period so I'm covered there. It seems easy enough and I could really use this last spots income but not too desperate either.
Live and Learn 07:57 PM 09-28-2010
Woopsies!
Disregard my previous post. I got confused as to which thread I was looking at!.
Since I am here though....it sounds like you are in a good position to try it out on a trial basis. I personally choose not to provide care to SA. I already have several of my own!
Rachel 09:44 PM 09-28-2010
I would give it a shot. Maybe agree to a 1 month trial and you will give them 2 weeks notice if it's just not working out so they have some time to find another solution.
legomom922 04:20 AM 09-29-2010
Do you have it in your contract that the first 2 wks are a trial anyway? If so, just see how it goes.

One thing I picked up on though, is when you said the parents said "he can get rambunchus", (spelling wrong I know) if a parents is saying that upfront, I would take that as he can bounce of the walls! Parents dont normally admit that kind of thing. My DCB parents told me in the beginning "he's a busy little guy" well I found out what that meant VERY quickly! he gets into EVERYTHING and is is ALL OVER THE PLACE. Very hard to manage. So personally, if I heard that from a parent, that would be a red flag and I would not do it.

I guess it depends on how badly you want the money.
tenderhearts 12:51 PM 09-29-2010
That's exactly what I thought if they are telling me that then he is, it is odd parents admit to that because normally they don't. Like the baby I took on, they told me he was very mellow, layed back, good baby, then after him being here 2 weeks, he was really good (lately now he's been pretty fussy), but anyways she said I think he's high maintenance what???? that's not what you told me in the interview, I of course didn't say that.
I decided to give it a try, I do have in my contract a 2 week trial period and I figure mornings go so fast here so 3 hours will go pretty fast, hopefully
Tags:part time care
Reply Up