Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Non Carb Snacks?
daycarediva 09:19 AM 01-28-2013
I am doing february menus at nap today, and I am trying to reduce carbs at snack time. We are forced to serve grains at lunch on the food program (like today even WITH a starchy veg), but that's a whollleee different issue.

I do a lot of fresh veggies & dip, fresh fruit, yogurt + fruit, hard boiled eggs, when I add a grain it's in a combination, like ham & cheese rolled in a tortilla BUT then the kids take out the ham & cheese, eat the tortilla & ask for seconds. :\

Any ideas?
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 01-28-2013
I don't offer seconds for snack time. ever. It's a snack, they shouldn't be full off of it. I tell my DCK's it is only a suppose to tide them over until dinner time at home.

Also, there aren't alot of carb free foods out there. Meat is closest.

Does your food program require a grain at snack time? My snack choices are: 2 of 4 in the following categories (1. milk 2. meat or meat alternative, 3. fruit or veggie 4. grain) so I could totally avoid the grains if I chose anything from 1,2 or 3.
daycarediva 11:08 AM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't offer seconds for snack time. ever. It's a snack, they shouldn't be full off of it. I tell my DCK's it is only a suppose to tide them over until dinner time at home.

Also, there aren't alot of carb free foods out there. Meat is closest.

Does your food program require a grain at snack time? My snack choices are: 2 of 4 in the following categories (1. milk 2. meat or meat alternative, 3. fruit or veggie 4. grain) so I could totally avoid the grains if I chose anything from 1,2 or 3.
I do seconds on snack. Some of my kiddos aren't home until 7/eating until 7:30 and snack is at 3:3-4.

Yes, that is what mine is as well. I have to serve the milk (I meant grain free! My kids are carb junkies though, crackers, goldfish, etc)

I am seriously considering just alternating between fresh fruit and fresh veggies every single day.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do seconds on snack. Some of my kiddos aren't home until 7/eating until 7:30 and snack is at 3:3-4.

Yes, that is what mine is as well. I have to serve the milk (I meant grain free! My kids are carb junkies though, crackers, goldfish, etc)

I am seriously considering just alternating between fresh fruit and fresh veggies every single day.
I am not required to serve milk for snack and 99 out of 100 times I do water and two veggies or fresh fruit. I RARELY serve crackers or grains.

I will sometimes do boiled eggs, cottage cheese, cheese sticks and or some other version of an "easy" meat like ham with cheese cubes or turkey slices with carrot sticks.
sunlight 06:51 AM 01-29-2013
I often times serve cheese sticks, with apple and cinnamon sprinkled on top or, clerey with peanut butter or almond butter. I don't have any kids with nut allergies. Jello with fruit mixed in. Many of the kiddos I care for like hummus. I know the beans in it are carby but they like it with carrot sticks and some even ate it with the red pepper I cut up. Greek yogurt with some fruit or seeds on top. I agree with blackcat I don't usually serve seconds because it is just snack. Most of the younger ones won't even ask for seconds. It's usually the older kids that want more. In the past I would serve them extra and the parents would say that their kids had a hard time eating their dinner.

hope this helps!
canadiancare 10:58 AM 02-01-2013
I am assuming that by carbs you mean starchy carbs (breads, crackers etc?)

Carbohydrates are in pretty much everything we eat. The trick is to know how much it has been processed to become more "palatable"

Check fiber content- stick to whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies, beans (so hummous and some whole grain bread slices)

avoid dried fruit, sugary cereals, cakes, white flour products, white rice products etc.

I serve my kids healthy food in reasonable portions as recommended by the food guide for their age group. It is easier than trying to limit foods. I know that by the time they have left at the end of the day I have met 3/4 of their food requirements for the day.
Reply Up