Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Something Weird about That!
MamaBear 08:53 AM 08-22-2013
So I had a lady call me yesterday and it was very strange...

First she just left me a voice message saying she has a 2 yr old & wanted to come over right then (about 10am) to look at my daycare and to call back to give her my address... Uh noooo.... I dont do daycare tours while the kids are here (for their safety & my sanity) and so I called her back to talk to her.

SO I call her back... She sounded like an older woman so I assumed she was calling about her grandchild. But she said she was looking for childcare for own child. I asked if its a boy or girl and she paused like she was thinking about it... Then said "uh girl". I asked how old she was and she had to think about that too... she said "ummm 2... I mean 3".

I asked her if she is currently in daycare and she says "um no... her uncles watch her".... oookay. She said she works from morning till super late... She said she wanted to come over this morning and I told her that I dont do daycare tours during daycare hours so she can come about 430pm and all the reasons why... she says okay and she'll call me today. Then right before she says goodbye, she says "Okay - I'll call you in the morning and I can come around 10am"... WHAT? I then I had to repeat the whole shpeal about how and why I dont do tours during daycare hours.

It was such a weird phone call. I'm thinking maybe she is another daycare provider trying to check out my daycare? Or just a weirdoh... Or maybe she was just super awkward on the phone. Anyone else get calls like these that make you say WTH?
MyAngels 09:03 AM 08-22-2013
I was thinking another daycare provider, too, but it just sounds a little too off to be that. Did you discuss rates or policies? That would point to another provider, but my mind is going to a more sinister intent. I'm sure I'm wrong. Maybe she's just odd.
mom2many 09:18 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I was thinking another daycare provider, too, but it just sounds a little too off to be that. Did you discuss rates or policies? That would point to another provider, but my mind is going to a more sinister intent. I'm sure I'm wrong. Maybe she's just odd.
I agree. I've never experienced a call like that, but I think it was bizarre!
Angelsj 09:28 AM 08-22-2013
Perhaps someone who speaks English as a second language?
That would account for the need to "think" as well as the obvious lack of understanding of your spiel.
NeedaVaca 09:39 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Perhaps someone who speaks English as a second language?
That would account for the need to "think" as well as the obvious lack of understanding of your spiel.
This was my 1st thought too!
MsLaura529 10:28 AM 08-22-2013
Wow, that's mind-boggling, haha.

I had a call the other day, from a lady in Arizona (I am in Michigan). She said, "my daughter lives near you, and said she's pretty sure she's found the daycare she wants to send her son, to. And I've been looking, and it seems like we've been looking at the same one. Have you talked to me daughter?"

Me: "What is your daughter's name?"

Her: "Sherry. She's really over-protective of her son, which is good. I'd rather her be over-protective than not care at all. But she would want to stay and hang around with him the first couple of times he came., and that would be ok, right? She said she thought it would be ok with you."

Me: "I have never spoken to a Sherry, I'm sorry. Maybe you have the wrong daycare?"

Her: "Well, she's just so over-protective. And I'd be funding it, so what are your rates?"

I tell her my rates, and she continues to go on and say things like, "well, you probably gathered that by talking to her", and I had to keep reminding her that I in fact had never talked to her daughter. She wanted to know all about how many kids I have, their ages, what certifications and qualifications I have. It was the most thorough phone interview I've ever had ... it was just with the wrong person.
Reply Up