Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dilemma: Longer Hours or Younger Children
nanglgrl 11:50 AM 10-19-2013
Currently I'm open 7:30-3:30. I don't take children under a year or school agers. I have 2 full timers and 4 part timers plus my own 3 year old but I get paid pretty well for the part timers. I'm legally allowed 12 children but 4 of those have to be school age, 2 have to be part time and I can have no more than 3 under 18 months or 4 under 24 months. All of the children are 2 and 3 years old except one 1 1/2 year old. Realistically the 2 full timers pay whatever bills my husbands paycheck doesn't cover and the part timers are our spending money.

Anyway, I just found out that one of my full timers will be leaving in 6 months when her mom has another baby because its not financially feasible for her to pay for daycare for two children. I don't get a lot of viable calls because of my hours and age restrictions. If I was open until 5:30 or took infants I would be full with a waiting list. I've been thinking about the future and realized that because of the age of my current children I may be setting myself up for a difficult situation as they will all age out at about the same time. Plus two of my clients are students in their last year of college, one full time client would like longer hours but doesn't need them (she works from home) and one client needs longer hours 1 day every week but has been able to figure out a 3:30 pick up for months between friends and family.

I only went to a 3:30 closing time when I changed to a rate system that was less for a 3:30 pick up/more for a 4:30 pick up and even more for a 5:30 pick up (thanks Blackcat). Everyone chose 3:30 and its been awesome for my family and my sanity. I'm not excited about being open later and/or taking infants so I decided for infants I would charge $200 no matter what the pick up time was (normal rate for FCC in my area is $125) and only take one under a year at a time. For 3:30 pick ups of children over a year I would keep my rate at $125 but 4:30 pick up would cost $140 and 5:30 pick up would be $155. I think I subconsiously set the rates so high because I don't want to do either and thought no one would be interested in those prices. As soon as I posted it on my business page I had three people that wanted to do an interview right away knowing my rates. One is a 4 month old with a 3:30 pick up ($200) one is a 2 year old with a 5:30 pick up that will be 7:30-5:30 M, W, F and 11:30-5:30 T, Th ($155). The last one was a 5:30 pick up almost 4 year old ($155).

What would you guys do? Would you give up a little freedom and make more money doing 5:30 pick ups? Would you take the infant and scale down what you do with the toddlers/preschoolers? Would you keep the 3:30 pick up, be a little poorer and just hope for the best? I should also mention that taking an infant would cost me some money. I do have 2 cribs but would need some toys and at the least a swing. As the child became mobile I would need to completely rearrange my space.
LaLa1923 12:03 PM 10-19-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Currently I'm open 7:30-3:30. I don't take children under a year or school agers. I have 2 full timers and 4 part timers plus my own 3 year old but I get paid pretty well for the part timers. I'm legally allowed 12 children but 4 of those have to be school age, 2 have to be part time and I can have no more than 3 under 18 months or 4 under 24 months. All of the children are 2 and 3 years old except one 1 1/2 year old. Realistically the 2 full timers pay whatever bills my husbands paycheck doesn't cover and the part timers are our spending money.

Anyway, I just found out that one of my full timers will be leaving in 6 months when her mom has another baby because its not financially feasible for her to pay for daycare for two children. I don't get a lot of viable calls because of my hours and age restrictions. If I was open until 5:30 or took infants I would be full with a waiting list. I've been thinking about the future and realized that because of the age of my current children I may be setting myself up for a difficult situation as they will all age out at about the same time. Plus two of my clients are students in their last year of college, one full time client would like longer hours but doesn't need them (she works from home) and one client needs longer hours 1 day every week but has been able to figure out a 3:30 pick up for months between friends and family.

I only went to a 3:30 closing time when I changed to a rate system that was less for a 3:30 pick up/more for a 4:30 pick up and even more for a 5:30 pick up (thanks Blackcat). Everyone chose 3:30 and its been awesome for my family and my sanity. I'm not excited about being open later and/or taking infants so I decided for infants I would charge $200 no matter what the pick up time was (normal rate for FCC in my area is $125) and only take one under a year at a time. For 3:30 pick ups of children over a year I would keep my rate at $125 but 4:30 pick up would cost $140 and 5:30 pick up would be $155. I think I subconsiously set the rates so high because I don't want to do either and thought no one would be interested in those prices. As soon as I posted it on my business page I had three people that wanted to do an interview right away knowing my rates. One is a 4 month old with a 3:30 pick up ($200) one is a 2 year old with a 5:30 pick up that will be 7:30-5:30 M, W, F and 11:30-5:30 T, Th ($155). The last one was a 5:30 pick up almost 4 year old ($155).

What would you guys do? Would you give up a little freedom and make more money doing 5:30 pick ups? Would you take the infant and scale down what you do with the toddlers/preschoolers? Would you keep the 3:30 pick up, be a little poorer and just hope for the best? I should also mention that taking an infant would cost me some money. I do have 2 cribs but would need some toys and at the least a swing. As the child became mobile I would need to completely rearrange my space.
I think taking younger children is good business sense. Like you said, your kiddos will age out. I understand exactly what you mean by everything you said. I think this business is so unpredictable that sometimes we need to take what we can get when it comes to us. KWIM?> I don't mean crap clients. I mean longer hours, different ages etc. I don't think you will have to rearrange your space for an infant. I've seen your space and it's not tiny. I prefer teaching my older kids how to interact with the babies. I allow my young ones to explore as they need to. If you really feel like a separation or division of space is important, than a cheap superyard would get you through. I bet you could find everything you'd need for less than $100. (maybe even free)
I'd take the infant, and then you could keep your closing time of 3:30.
LaLa1923 12:05 PM 10-19-2013

what did you mean by a business page??
cheerfuldom 12:31 PM 10-19-2013
I would take the one infant. I would rather have one baby than be working an extra 10 hours a week. I think it will be pretty easy to arrange things around one baby for awhile. You could always do it on a trial basis too. Once they are mobile, yeah you might have to rearrange a bit but I really can't imagine it being a completely overhaul.
nanglgrl 01:29 PM 10-19-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
what did you mean by a business page??
Here is my Facebook business page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pitte...61895507293282

I also have a group page that is just for current and former clients.

Both of you make sense. It would be better to take the younger one. It's just that it's been a really long time since I've had a baby like ummm...3 years!
nannyde 02:35 PM 10-19-2013
I know you didn't ask this so disregard if it isn't applicable. The fee structure you are referring to is one I developed for my daycare in the early 90's. I have shared it on here and I have a blog about it you may want to check.

Your spread is too narrow after 3. You are only charging $3 an hour. It's not steep enough to pay you for your time. I charge 5 dollars for every fifteen minutes after 3. That nets you $4 an hour per kid. If you can command 200 a week you may want to up that even further with a 5 or six dollar an hour per child fee. If you need help developing the fee structure I can help.

If you have a marked decrease after age one the parents will want the decrease on the first birthday. I would rethink that too.

Look towards the future.
nanglgrl 03:04 PM 10-19-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I know you didn't ask this so disregard if it isn't applicable. The fee structure you are referring to is one I developed for my daycare in the early 90's. I have shared it on here and I have a blog about it you may want to check.

Your spread is too narrow after 3. You are only charging $3 an hour. It's not steep enough to pay you for your time. I charge 5 dollars for every fifteen minutes after 3. That nets you $4 an hour per kid. If you can command 200 a week you may want to up that even further with a 5 or six dollar an hour per child fee. If you need help developing the fee structure I can help.

If you have a marked decrease after age one the parents will want the decrease on the first birthday. I would rethink that too.

Look towards the future.
All great things to think about Nanny. Thank you. Sorry I mistakenly thought Blackcat gave me the idea for that fee structure and realize I must have just mixed up my information. I think actually you were the one that sent me your fee schedule. I will rework my fee schedule with thought to what you've said. My only worry is making it too high. The regular fee for around here is only $125 for 7:30-5:30 and in the surrounding towns it's even cheaper. The most I've even heard of anyone charging was $150 for full time in this area. So I'm leary about charging too much more than $155 a week for preschoolers.
I know there is a big need for infant care and really thought that no one would even take me up on $200 a week since that's about what centers charge around here, I think I might change infant care to start reducing at 18 months instead of 1 year.
One problem is that state pay clients pay well under my 5:30 pick up rate and significantly under my infant rate. I wish I lived in a state where I could charge the difference because I get so many state pay calls.
I hate change, especially when I'm perfectly content with the current situation. Thanks again!
Hunni Bee 03:10 PM 10-19-2013
No advice, just wanted to say that your daycare looks like a place I'd want to send my child.
Blackcat31 05:30 PM 10-19-2013
All great things to think about Nanny. Thank you. Sorry I mistakenly thought Blackcat gave me the idea for that fee structure and realize I must have just mixed up my information. I think actually you were the one that sent me your fee schedule. I will rework my fee schedule with thought to what you've said. My only worry is making it too high. The regular fee for around here is only $125 for 7:30-5:30 and in the surrounding towns it's even cheaper. The most I've even heard of anyone charging was $150 for full time in this area. So I'm leary about charging too much more than $155 a week for preschoolers.
I know there is a big need for infant care and really thought that no one would even take me up on $200 a week since that's about what centers charge around here, I think I might change infant care to start reducing at 18 months instead of 1 year.
One problem is that state pay clients pay well under my 5:30 pick up rate and significantly under my infant rate. I wish I lived in a state where I could charge the difference because I get so many state pay calls.
I hate change, especially when I'm perfectly content with the current situation. Thanks again!
It is Nan's rate schedule.

She is the one that showed me how to charge according to pick up times.

I just do it like you do and don't break down my hours into 15 minute increments.

It just didn't work for me to do it that way.

Nan is the first provider I've ever known to use a rate scale like that.

I know I have passed on the great advice to many others and I think many have tweaked it to fit their own program.
Patches 07:07 PM 10-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I just do it like you do and don't break down my hours into 15 minute increments.

I know I have passed on the great advice to many others and I think many have tweaked it to fit their own program.
So thankful for you and NannyDe for this! I use it and break mine down into 30 min increments after 3:30.

OP~
If it were me, I would take an infant or two (but I love babies ) but you do what you feel is right for you. Not very helpful, I guess
LaLa1923 07:20 PM 10-19-2013
I'd love to do the fee breakdown but no one around here does this. I make good money as it is, but I'd trade less money for an earlier end to my day. Currently I'm working 15 hour days 6 hours a week not counting paperwork, planning, meal prep, shopping, laundry, and my regular household duties. I'm tired.......
nannyde 03:36 AM 10-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

http://www.nanshouse.com/fees.htm
nanglgrl 11:50 AM 10-20-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
No advice, just wanted to say that your daycare looks like a place I'd want to send my child.
Thank you, that's so nice to hear!
playdate4 12:30 PM 10-20-2013
Thank you, that's so nice to hear!
I am also going to comment on your daycare!!!!!! Its an awesome place to be. You do so many things and so creative I just commented on your basement pic about you making a post into a tree...
nanglgrl 10:32 PM 10-20-2013
Originally Posted by jbshell:
I am also going to comment on your daycare!!!!!! Its an awesome place to be. You do so many things and so creative I just commented on your basement pic about you making a post into a tree...
Thank you! You guys are making me blush now, I'm horrible at complements! I get most of my ideas online. This Facebook page always has great ideas:
https://www.facebook.com/Teachpreschool
It's better than Pinterest because the ideas always seem to go along with what my theme is.
The post came to fruition because it was just an ugly post in the middle of everything and for a year I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I had planned on tiling it..making it a piece of art or something but it never happened. Then we started learning about orchards and trees and it went from an apple to a Fall tree....next all of the leaves fall off and I add fake snow.
Tags:long hours
Reply Up