Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When No One Wants To Do An Activity...
DaycareMom 09:29 AM 12-19-2013
I was just wondering what you all do when you are planning to do an activity and no one wants to participate?
This morning, when we normally go outside to play, all of the kids said they did NOT want to play outside.
I have had times where I have taken out or suggested a game and no one is interested.
Do you force the activity or keep it child-led?
thetoddlerwhisper 09:32 AM 12-19-2013
if they dont want to do an activity i usually allow a little more freeplay then reoffer. there are some days thats its all free play and no activities
Brooksie 09:35 AM 12-19-2013
Same with PP. Sometimes the kids want to do activity after activity after activity, and sometimes its free play all day. I never force a child to participate in an activity or project. I will however enforce keeping said activity in one place. I have some of the kids who try to get up from the table and walk away with a paint brush... no no no. lol If they aren't feeling it that day I just save it for the next.
snbauser 09:36 AM 12-19-2013
Outside time is not optional here. But other activities are planned and offered. If they choose not to do them, that's their choice.
Soccermom 09:37 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I was just wondering what you all do when you are planning to do an activity and no one wants to participate?
This morning, when we normally go outside to play, all of the kids said they did NOT want to play outside.
I have had times where I have taken out or suggested a game and no one is interested.
I always keep it child led.
This morning we were supposed to do a learning activity but no one wanted to participate so I asked them what they would like to do and they all said "Crafts!" I whipped out pinterest and found a Simple Star Santa Craft.

We did the craft and the kids were happy. They know better than we do what makes them happy
Maria2013 09:49 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I would not give the kids the indoor/outdoor choice, my group would always choose indoor play.
.... if they say they don't want to play outside, I say "great! Then we can go for an adventure walk" ...they never say no to that
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:02 AM 12-19-2013
Outside is non-negotiable.
Other things if they are not interested we move on.
Play Care 10:34 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Outside time is not optional here. But other activities are planned and offered. If they choose not to do them, that's their choice.
This. In my state outside time is legally required every day. I offer choices when appropriate, but sometimes it's just not a choice
Reply Up