Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Friends with Local DC Providers?
Christina72684 10:14 AM 07-03-2014
How many of you are friends with other daycare providers? How did you become friends? Since we've only been open 3 years I would love to find a few around here and just pick their brain lol I did randomly start talking to one thanks to a yard sale I had and she bought some of the stuff. We have training classes at the local CCR&R but there's not much time to talk and a lot of the time it's the staff there, not the owners.

But then again, I don't want other providers judging me, KWIM? There's times when I feel like my place isn't organized enough or we could have better toys or playground equipment, but then I drive by some DCs in town and they looked so run down and I think "How are they even open?"

It's nice having this forum, but I would love to just go to other local DCs and tour their buildings and ask questions.
AmyKidsCo 11:57 AM 07-03-2014
I'm friends with a LOT of local family and group providers. I'm a member of our local NAEYC affiliate and have been met lots of providers that way. I'm also a member of a local FCC support group. I've found that most FCC are different enough that you're not really competing because you offer different benefits to families. And the support you get is totally worth any possible competition.
MarinaVanessa 01:12 PM 07-03-2014
I'm friendly by nature so I wouldn't have a problem walking right up to the door of a FCC provider and introducing myself.

If you specialize in a certain type of care I'd stop by and offer to exchange phone numbers and email addresses so that you could refer calls to each other.
For example if you cater to the younger crowd you could say that you were looking for a provider that accepted school age kids so that you can refer these clients to them. Or if you are at max cap for infants but can use some toddlers you can ask them if they have room for infants so that you can refer those calls etc. People tend to be more friendly when you offer them something .

Then once you have exchanged info I'd call every couple of weeks to see how business was going and to see their availability. You can use that chance to ask for advice, to get an opinion, to ask to see their setup, to invite them over to see your setup so they can give you advice etc. Who knows, maybe once you've seen a house or 2 you'll realize that you're a top competitor
Blackcat31 01:18 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm friends with a LOT of local family and group providers. I'm a member of our local NAEYC affiliate and have been met lots of providers that way. I'm also a member of a local FCC support group. I've found that most FCC are different enough that you're not really competing because you offer different benefits to families. And the support you get is totally worth any possible competition.
Originally Posted by MV:
I'm friendly by nature so I wouldn't have a problem walking right up to the door of a FCC provider and introducing myself.
This is me too. I just talk to people. Anywhere I go.

My DH says I forget I am not 4 anymore and it's obvious I grew up in a time where talking to strangers wasn't frowned upon.

I also belong to local FCC groups and am a mentor for new providers in my community.
CraftyMom 07:37 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:

But then again, I don't want other providers judging me, KWIM? There's times when I feel like my place isn't organized enough or we could have better toys or playground equipment, but then I drive by some DCs in town and they looked so run down and I think "How are they even open?"

Me too. There are a few in my area that I think to myself "does the inside look the same as the outside? Rundown and cluttered"
Josiegirl 04:11 AM 07-04-2014
I would LOVE to tour other daycares, just to get new ideas for set-up. I've only been inside 2 local daycares but never past their kitchens so have no idea.
I am such an introvert that I've never really joined a circle of people. I do belong to a network because it was one of my requirements but I don't usually interact. You would think after 30+ years I'd know everybody but besides me and a couple other providers, they're all young people and new faces.
Reply Up