Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Hours do You Work?
Josiegirl 03:16 AM 08-01-2014
I know most if not all of us probably put in around 50 hours a week(or more). But what about your off time? Haha is there any? How many more hours in an average week do you estimate are 'clocked in' doing daycare related stuff? Planning, extra cleaning, interviewing, organizing, rewriting, and on and on...... Let's not forget meetings and trainings. Oh to have a 40 hour work week.

Side note, I hope you all add in those extra hours come tax time!
coolconfidentme 04:05 AM 08-01-2014
Last night I took discrepancy reports home a DCM totally screwed up. (state assistance stuff) My entire evening was redoing her mess.

In times like these I try to remember what my state rep said to me once, "Pick your battles. If you want to get paid, sometimes you have to do things yourself."
NightOwl 04:18 AM 08-01-2014
I probably add roughly 6 to 8 hours weekly, on top of my 55. That's nuts....
AmyKidsCo 05:05 AM 08-01-2014
I work 50 hours a week with the children, and log another 12-14 or so on nights and weekends.
midaycare 05:10 AM 08-01-2014
55 hours a week with kids, another 10 or more per week on daycare related stuff.
melilley 05:11 AM 08-01-2014
I honestly don't put that many (daycare) hours in after I close. I clean the playroom and pick up other parts of the house, but my dd vacuums for her chore. I do most other things during nap. I do go dc/family grocery shopping on the weekends or Mon. night and do 12 hours, sometimes more, a year of trainings. I work around 50 hours with the kids.

When I first opened, I put a ton of hours in after closing, but realized that I'd rather have family time after closing rather than doing more dc related things.
mim 05:11 AM 08-01-2014
I work 65 hours a week with kids and log another 10-15 on nights and weekends.
Solandia 05:16 AM 08-01-2014
Ft time kids... I would average 55 hr/wk. I had my routine down that everything was done half an hour after the kids were picked up.

When I did only part time for a while(3 days/wk), it was 40-43/week. (still more than a traditional full time job!) there was always something extra to be done outside direct care hours. Part time care is more expensive, per day for a reason.
Second Home 05:19 AM 08-01-2014
I work 50 hours a week actually with the kids , about 10 doing the other part of child care , paperwork , training etc..., some weeks it may be more some weeks less .
Blackcat31 05:47 AM 08-01-2014
I work 55 hours per week.

I do not do anything work related outside of work.

Other than grocery shopping but I do daycare grocery shopping when I'm shopping for home too.

I made it a personal rule years ago to NEVER do anything daycare related outside of daycare.

It was kind of hard at first. There were so many things that needing doing that I thought it would be impossible to separate myself from daycare.

But what I did was eliminate certain things for the first few weeks, then added more things until eventually, I am no longer doing anything daycare related on my off time.

It really should be like that.

There are VERY few professions out there that are as time consuming as child care but I've learned that is only true is you let it be.
BumbleBee 05:53 AM 08-01-2014
Total it comes out to between 60 & 70 hrs a week.

55 of hands on daycare (7am-6pm M-F) then anywhere from 5-15 hrs a week on daycare related stuff after hours.
taylorw1210 06:09 AM 08-01-2014
Total it comes to about 60-65 hours a week. No wonder I'm so ready for Friday by the end of the week!
jenboo 06:44 AM 08-01-2014
On average 52.5 hours a week with kids and maybe 2 hours a week max working on other things after hours. I get almost everything done while the kids are here.
craftymissbeth 07:15 AM 08-01-2014
I'll accept children from 7-5, but since my rates are based on pick-up times my current schedule is 7:30ish to 3:45... I add about 5 hours onto that for paperwork, cleaning, planning, etc.

So right now I'm only working 45ish hours
hope 08:06 AM 08-01-2014
Starting September I am changing my hours and will only be with dc kids 45 hours a week. I try to do all my dc cleaning during nap time but sometimes it's just not possible. I enjoy cleaning (relaxes me) so I don't even consider the cleaning work.
bananas 08:06 AM 08-01-2014
80-90.

I do work a second evening job in addition to doing daycare 6x per week for 11/12 hour days.

My husband works about the same hours at his job....and we're still struggling
MCC 08:46 AM 08-01-2014
I have staff, so my answer is different.

I am open 45 hours a week.

I do NOTHING daycare related outside of those hours.

I work from 8:15-9am, then my staff runs 9-11. Then I work with them 11-1:30. Then I go down for pick up around 4. My daycare space is separate from my living space, so I'm home, but not involved. I get household chores done, meal planning, order groceries, work on marketing etc. during the time my staff is running.

My actual involvement with the kids and daycare business is about 15-20 hours a week.

My dream when I opened this was to OWN a daycare, and have it run externally of myself. I am getting very close to that.
Christina72684 09:14 AM 08-01-2014
I have employees due to ratio needs so I don't have to work open to close every day (7:00-5:30). Most weeks I work 40 hours with the kids but am still able to leave work early 2-3x a week to work out or do the grocery shopping. Otherwise I only spend a couple of hours on Saturday mornings doing daycare related things.

I have an almost 1yr old and a 3.5yr old so I don't want to put in a lot of extra hours bc evenings and weekends are family time. I should put in more hours and get organized better, but honestly I'm just too tired at the end of the day/week.

BTW TGIF! lol
Christina72684 09:15 AM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
I have staff, so my answer is different.

I am open 45 hours a week.

I do NOTHING daycare related outside of those hours.

I work from 8:15-9am, then my staff runs 9-11. Then I work with them 11-1:30. Then I go down for pick up around 4. My daycare space is separate from my living space, so I'm home, but not involved. I get household chores done, meal planning, order groceries, work on marketing etc. during the time my staff is running.

My actual involvement with the kids and daycare business is about 15-20 hours a week.

My dream when I opened this was to OWN a daycare, and have it run externally of myself. I am getting very close to that.
That's my dream too! Actually once my kids are in school I wouldn't mind going back to teaching (I wanted to stay home with them and couldn't find a job before opening the daycare) and then having employees I trusted to work the daycare. That double income would be very nice!
MCC 07:43 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
That's my dream too! Actually once my kids are in school I wouldn't mind going back to teaching (I wanted to stay home with them and couldn't find a job before opening the daycare) and then having employees I trusted to work the daycare. That double income would be very nice!
Good luck to you!

I've thought about doing something else as well with my extra time. I used to be a flight attendant, and I would LOVE to go back and do that while the daycare runs back home. I'm just waiting on a special permit to come through for 5 extra spots, at that point I'll be able to hire one more full time assistant, and I'll be on my way.
Rachel 08:02 AM 08-03-2014
I am opened 47.5 hours per week (Sunday - Thursday, 7 - 4:30). I don't do a huge amount after hours, but I consider myself working 50 hours because of the shopping, cleaning up, little bit of prepping I do after hours, etc.
Crazy8 12:31 PM 08-04-2014
I used to do a lot more "after hours" prep work than I do now. I have kids about 47.5 hours a week (open 7:30am-5pm) and do about a half hour of clean up per night. That's about it. Anything else gets done during nap time.
mls620 02:35 PM 08-04-2014
60 hours a week.
daycare 03:12 PM 08-04-2014
My average last year was 71 hours a week. YUP you read that right. When I did the break down of how much I make and the hours I put in to make my preschool program the best I knew how, I wanted to cry......lets just say I would make better money picking fruit..................
tntsmom 08:38 PM 08-05-2014
I work from 5:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. so basically day care hours 60 + about 5 hrs a week cleaning toys, planning meals and activities.
daycarediva 03:52 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I work 55 hours per week.

I do not do anything work related outside of work.

Other than grocery shopping but I do daycare grocery shopping when I'm shopping for home too.

I made it a personal rule years ago to NEVER do anything daycare related outside of daycare.

It was kind of hard at first. There were so many things that needing doing that I thought it would be impossible to separate myself from daycare.

But what I did was eliminate certain things for the first few weeks, then added more things until eventually, I am no longer doing anything daycare related on my off time.

It really should be like that.

There are VERY few professions out there that are as time consuming as child care but I've learned that is only true is you let it be.
This is what I do now. Aside from interviews which I don't like to conduct during daycare hours and training (which I do my best to complete online during daycare hours/nap),

I used to spend soo much of MY time on daycare. Now I don't. I clean my daycare room Friday, I do all paperwork, and lesson plans during free play and nap.
Meyou 03:52 AM 08-06-2014
I work 50 hours per week sometimes less with early pickups. I do everything including most of my daily household cleaning and cooking during daycare hours. I grocery shop for the daycare with my regular groceries on Saturday and only shop once per week.

Other than a deep cleaning and reorganization of the playroom 4 times per year I do nothing daycare related outside of work. Well, I do yard sale for new toys on the weekends but I leave my kids at home so that's practically a vacation.
DaveA 04:43 AM 08-06-2014
Open 55 hours a week. During the school year, I try really hard to not put any "off hours" in. I do shopping for daycare needs with the kids, setup/cleanup is part of our routine, lesson prep & paperwork is done during naptime, etc. Aside from prospective interviews (which I do in the evening so my wife is there) I keep them separate otherwise I'd never let it go at the end of the day. Plus I have a craft business that need 10-20 hours a week attention, so I have to squeeze that in.

During the summer I have to add a few hours a week because I have too many kids to transport, so shopping is done in the evening and I don't have a naptime to catch up on stuff. Probably 5 hours/ week or so.
lovemykidstoo 05:15 AM 08-06-2014
I used to work 5 days a week/10 hr days, but it was just too much for me. NOw I work Monday through Thursday 10 hour days, so 40 hours a week. That is enough for me. I really dont' do too much out of those hours for Dc. It does grind me though when teachers complain about how much they work outside of hours because I know of so many ladies that have a daycare that work just as hard and don't have their summers off.
Reply Up