Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Ideas About This 12mo Who Screams Bloody Murder Before Sleeping?
Pestle 10:47 AM 01-03-2017
I have a great part-time family with two great kids. I'm also lucky to be one of those people who isn't fazed by the sound of crying babies.

Their younger child just turned a year old. She has always screamed bloody murder before falling asleep, but in recent weeks she's been screaming for much longer (1+ hours--right now she's been going for 2 hours and is hoarse, has given herself hiccups, and is still at it). She also doesn't want to be soothed when it's going on. She stands up and screams in what looks like outrage to me; if I come back in and try to hold her or feed her, she escalates the screaming and thrashes when I touch her. She does the same with the parents. She's also such a light sleeper that, when she does fall asleep, even silently sticking your head into the room to check on her will make her pop up in the crib and start screaming again. This is in both the daytime and the nighttime, every. single. time she sleeps.

She's weaning herself and only wants solids; her parents can only get a few ounces of formula into her each day and she'll hardly take any at all from me, but I make sure she's dry and fed before putting her down to nap.

It's a little disruptive for me because the screaming keeps the other kids on edge even from across the house with doors closed, but honestly I'm not too concerned about it for my own sake because she's usually not with me in the daytime and the family is so great to have. I mean, it's too bad that she's making herself miserable, but as long as she's clean and fed and I can't find anything wrong with her, I've done my duty and don't see the need to knock myself out trying to force her to sleep. The parents, though, are exhausted because of how she screams through the night. They keep her in a crib in their bedroom for daytime naps and in a crib in the dining room at night, to try to avoid waking her, but it's not working. Their older child hasn't had any issues like this.

Any ideas about a cause or solution?
Controlled Chaos 11:43 AM 01-03-2017
Yikes. Is she eventually sleeping? I'm not sure the initial cause but she has to be way over tired now. Other than consistency I have no suggestions, but would encourage parents to talk to their pediatrician just in case there's an underlying health issue.
Pestle 12:17 PM 01-03-2017
I had her 9am to 3pm today and she slept maybe 15 minutes after 2 solid hours of screaming.
Baby Beluga 12:23 PM 01-03-2017
Yikes. You mentioned that DCG is weaning herself and only wants solids. Any chance of allergies making it worse?
Pestle 02:59 PM 01-03-2017
Good question--for a while the mom thought it could be gas from a burp after feeding, but now she hardly ever takes a bottle before bed. I'll ask her about the potential for allergies; the mom's lactose-intolerant.
Unregistered 10:23 PM 01-03-2017
If mom is lactose-intolerant, it's likely she is too. If a child is fed, clean, has touch time, etc there's no reason for screaming for hours... eeks. I'd suspect a health issue.
Play Care 02:52 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If mom is lactose-intolerant, it's likely she is too. If a child is fed, clean, has touch time, etc there's no reason for screaming for hours... eeks. I'd suspect a health issue.
This was my thought. I can see a child crying for 10-15 minutes to settle themselves. But screaming for hours and not sleeping? I would be at the Ped's wanting answers.
Pestle 04:38 AM 01-04-2017
Thanks--I'll talk to her about it tonight. Do you think it'd be worth it to suggest a dairy-free diet for 3 weeks? (Three weeks, right? I went dairy-free to see if that was causing my daughter's eczema, and it was two weeks to get the lactose out of my system, if I remember.)
Blackcat31 05:27 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Thanks--I'll talk to her about it tonight. Do you think it'd be worth it to suggest a dairy-free diet for 3 weeks? (Three weeks, right? I went dairy-free to see if that was causing my daughter's eczema, and it was two weeks to get the lactose out of my system, if I remember.)
I currently have a child who's Dr recommended trying a dairy free diet to ease some tummy/toileting issues they've been having and the Dr said it may take anywhere from 30-60 days after removal for the effects of dairy to be gone from your system completely so I DO think suggesting mom try some types of elimination for common food issues is a good idea but I think it may be longer than 3 weeks before you'd see any changes.. at this age, part of her behavior is now treading on habit as well as the original issue too so...

Poor kid. Poor you for having to listen to it.
Ariana 07:00 AM 01-04-2017
Stop going in. How often are you going in? It is very possible that you are interrupting the falling asleep process by going in. Once I put a child to bed I will go in once at the 15min mark, soothe and pat back and that is it. It takes a few days but they eventually get it that they are in here to sleep.

It could be a dairy intolerance but as a mom of two kids with it they have never screamed for two hours straight. That seems excessive especially if they are pleasant while awake. Tummy troubles don't suddenly appear during nap time know what I mean?
mommyneedsadayoff 07:31 AM 01-04-2017
If there are no medical issues or pain of some sort and this is behavioral, then i agree with Ariana that you should stop going in. I would keep her room dark, cool, and have white noise and/or a fan. Be super consistent and matter of fact about nap time. Lay her down, say good night, and leave.

I know it might be tough, but if she was able to have her own room at home so her sleep environment could be really consistent, at least until she grows out of this, i think that might be very helpful. I think sleep spaces should be sanctuaries for them to go relax and have some space to themselves. In her case, she is being moved around at home so she has no "santcuary". If mom and dad were able to give her the room for awhile or work something else out, i think that may help. Of course, all this being said if she doesnt have an underlyingedical issue.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 01-04-2017
I am not comfortable encouraging providers to NOT perform physical checks on children that age.

Many states, mine included, require me to do physical checks on sleeping children every 10-15 minutes.

Using a video monitor is helpful but not allowed to replace physically checking on a child during certain intervals.

I understand it's disrupting her ability to fall asleep but physically checking in on her is far more important.

It only takes a second for her to become entangled in blankets, clothing or anything else she may have access to.
Pestle 08:23 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Many states, mine included, require me to do physical checks on sleeping children every 10-15 minutes.
Yes; TN requires checks every 15 min.

They are in a 2-bedrm rental and I'll probably lose them soon; they have a third baby on the way and want to buy in a good school district (so, not ours--we're zoned for two public elementary schools that are both in the bottom 5% for the entire state).
Ariana 08:26 AM 01-04-2017
I am not comfortable encouraging providers to NOT perform physical checks on children that age.

Using a video monitor is helpful but not allowed to replace physically checking on a child during certain intervals.

I understand it's disrupting her ability to fall asleep but physically checking in on her is far more important.

It only takes a second for her to become entangled in blankets, clothing or anything else she may have access to.
Just to clarify I do a 15 minute check while awake and then check on them when they are sleeping. The kids I have do not have anything in the pack and play with them. I allow blankets for kids who are good sleepers only because the tossing and turning creates a hazard. I have only had one child that took longer than 30 min to fall asleep and I ended up having to term after two weeks of constant crying...sleeping and awake.

I wouldn't recommend going in more than once every 15 minutes. I definitely don't advocate never checking on a child (I said I only checked once at 15 min but meant while they are awake I check every 15 minutes thats it not more than that) I just know that constant going in every few minutes can be detrimental to the falling asleep process and this is what has worked for me
Second Home 08:32 AM 01-04-2017

At my last inspection I was told that I need to be in sight of all sleeping children under 2 at all times . Over 2 must be checked at least every 15 minutes .
mommyneedsadayoff 08:49 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Yes; TN requires checks every 15 min.

They are in a 2-bedrm rental and I'll probably lose them soon; they have a third baby on the way and want to buy in a good school district (so, not ours--we're zoned for two public elementary schools that are both in the bottom 5% for the entire state).
I use video monitors with sound, so i dont go in till they fall asleep. Then i will check in to see their chest rise and fall. My advice was to give her asuch space as possible, but if your licensing requires you to go in every 15 min, i doubt their is much you can do other than ignore the crying. When she falls asleep and you check her at the 15 min mark and she wakes up, you will just have to let her CIO again. Personally, if i knew that going in every 15 min was causing more issues, i would terminate care. You have to follow your state regs, so if its just not working, it may be time to move on.
Pestle 09:04 AM 01-04-2017
I don't usually have her in the daytime and she's only part-time, so I'm not worried about terminating. And they're going to move. Which I wish they wouldn't.
m.kids1301 03:55 AM 01-05-2017
Wow...a child screaming like that would concern me a great deal. My older daughter, Jessica, was a "good baby" and happy a lot of the time. She was slow with motor skills and I figured she had some of my issues. Then when she started talking it was 1 word at time...no sentences. Then at 3 she started having blood-curdling screaming fits that last from 1 to 5 hours!! She would flop on her bottom on the floor and throw herself backwards too, so I actually belted her to a chair at times to keep her from hurting herself.

Turned out she has "Rett Syndrome" and was regressing during that time. The screaming fits went from May to September of 1986, then she became calm again and lost all of her words. I've done lots of digging online and am totally convinced it's the vaccines that damaged her. My second daughter only received 2 vaccines, then I found out what they could do and NO more. She is 19 and a lot healthier than I ever was. And I only had a few shots...not dozens like the kids get now! An indication that something is going wrong with vaccines is screaming. Vaclib.org has tons of info on this. I didn't think anything of vaccines until I lost my daughter. Jess is 34 now and can't do much of anything for herself. She has seizures, so is on Depakane too. She lives with another family because I couldn't keep up with her care, and the day care and another child. It was totally devastating!!!

I sure hope this isn't what is going on with that screaming child, but that sure doesn't sound normal to me!
Tags:nap issues
Reply Up