Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Abuse
Unregistered 07:17 PM 02-19-2020
Logged out just in case
So a teacher in our center was accused of abuse a few months back. She was caught by a outside agency that was visiting our center. They saw her do somthing to make the child cry out. After watching the tape she had pinched the child. Apparently on further review that wasnt the only child. She was fired. She and I were close work friends. She now wants to stay freinds. I am having a hard time with being freinds with someone who hurt a child. How would you feel? Oh and because of this her coteacher ( who had no clue what was happening) was also fired.
Michael 08:00 PM 02-19-2020
Yes, that would bother me. I probably would start to work my way out of the friendship. That may sound callous but your time and peace of mind are what matter. Sometimes it’s ok to be selfish for yourself. Hopefully, this person will learn for her mistake.
Cat Herder 02:33 AM 02-20-2020
I would feel the same, and I would also want an explanation from her. Stress, drugs, depression, mental illness? Does she plan to get the help she needs?

If she did not seek help, I'd end that relationship.
Josiegirl 02:56 AM 02-20-2020
It depends on how she's handling herself since then? Did she admit she had a problem and is treating it, seeking help or did she go on the defense and give excuses? It also depends on the type of all-around person she is and your personal relationship with her. Looking at my own (very small but precious) circle of friends, if one of them did something like that, I'd help them find resources to handle their anger, etc. But then, I just couldn't imagine them doing anything like that. All that, just to say what kind of a friend is she? Casual through work type or close and dear to the heart type? Your answers would indicate how I'd treat the friendship.
If you'd rather not remain friends with her, back out with ease and get 'too busy' for her schedule. Good luck!!

ETA: you specified work friends. In that case, I'd probably back off from the relationship because I feel we become known for who we are friends with, along with everything else KWIM? Guilty by association type of mindset.
PB&J 05:31 AM 02-20-2020
In my area, a woman was just charged for pinching hard enough to leave bruises, on a 2-yr old child’s back, because he wouldn’t lie on his cot. Surveillance video shows she did it to other children too. First she said she “did old-school ways” then she said she was alone with ten kids and was overwhelmed and needed a helper.
I will never excuse pinching a child or so many of the other “old school ways” ... but it’s dangerous on so many levels that too many caregivers are too overwhelmed.
Pestle 01:23 PM 02-25-2020
Since I'd still be working in the same industry, I'd see a relationship with her as a threat to my own employability.
Tags:abuse, bad provider, child abuse
Reply Up