Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has this happened 2 you?
Unregistered 07:36 AM 08-27-2009
Hi there, hope you can relate and help me with this:

I JUST GOT LICENSE FOR DAYCARE, AND
I have a new parent with 3 little ones, the newborn baby is breastfeeding and doesn't want to take the bottle well with her, so she wants to see how I will feed her baby and she wants me to train the baby, because she says that the baby will not take the bottle from her, so she will just breastfeed. I have a problem with that, since I feel that the baby should already be able to take the bottle by the time I care for the baby.

what should I do? as mother wants to bring the baby sometimes so I can "train", as she said.
please help..I'm I signing in to trouble???
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:54 AM 08-27-2009
no trouble,.. have mom sleep with a few recieving blankets to get her scent,.. use them as a shield so baby wont know the difference. works for me.
AmandasFCC 12:11 PM 08-27-2009
Yup, I agree. A lot of times a breastfed baby won't take a bottle from mom and needs a stranger to give it to them. If I'm understanding your question right, you want to know if it's appropriate to spend time with the baby before care begins so Mom can be sure the baby will actually EAT in your care? I wouldn't have a problem like that, in fact it will probably be an easier transition for that baby if she's been interacting with you, with mom present, a couple times before she's left alone ..

hope that makes sense ..
Unregistered 02:32 PM 08-27-2009
[quote=Unregistered;13757]Hi there, hope you can relate and help me with this:

I JUST GOT LICENSE FOR DAYCARE, AND
I have a new parent with 3 little ones, the newborn baby is breastfeeding and doesn't want to take the bottle well with her, so she wants to see how I will feed her baby and she wants me to train the baby, because she says that the baby will not take the bottle from her, so she will just breastfeed. I have a problem with that, since I feel that the baby should already be able to take the bottle by the time I care for the baby.

what should I do? as mother wants to bring the baby sometimes so I can "train", as she said.
please help..I'm I signing in to trouble??

ACTUALLY WHAT I MEAN IS THE MOM DOESN'T WANT TO HELP AT HOME, SHE DOESN'T WANT TO BOTTLE FEED THE BABY, SHE WANTS ME TO DO ALL THE WORK...
GretasLittleFriends 05:36 PM 08-27-2009
When I was breastfeeding my son he would not take a bottle from me. I tried to transition him to pumped breastmilk from a bottle before he started at daycare. He just refused, and I found it very frustrating and worry-some. My daycare provider suggested that I have someone else feed him the bottle instead of me. She also recommended that the person with the bottle have something with my scent. My 9yr old daughter put on a shirt of mine and was able to bottle feed him without issue. My daycare provider suggested that I slept with a receiving blanket the night before he started in her care. She then used this blanket during feeding time, she NEVER had an issue feeding him. She said sooner or later he would learn to eat, and in his case it was sooner.

So, I guess my advice to you is to invite the mom over to your house with baby prior to their start date and just before his(her) feeding time. Have mom bring a bottle of pumped milk and a blanket with her scent. Give it a try. If it doesn't seem like it's working then mom has time to work harder, and you can demonstrate to mom how it's not working and she needs to fix this before baby starts care.

BTW, I'm not a physician or psychologist, but I would think that if a baby is hungry enough s/he would eat whatever is put in his mouth.

Oh, and also keep in mind there are different bottle and nipple shapes. Maybe she could use something like a Playtex because they're a little bigger and closer to the shape baby is used to eating from... Does that make sense?
ConcernedMotherof2 05:03 AM 08-28-2009
You might suggest the mom look for a haberman feeder. The hospitol my daughter was born at used that to feed her my pumped breastmilk while she was in the NICU, whenever I couldn't come in to breastfeed. The haberman works differently than a bottle, so that baby has to work their mouth about the same way as they do with the breast and will make transition go more smoothly between home and daycare.

If it concerns you to take time before you start care to get the baby used to you, maybe you shouldn't be taking in such a small infant. Starting care for a brand new baby is much different than starting care for a toddler. Regardless of how much work mom does with him/her at home, it's still going to be a lot of work for YOU during the day. I don't mean to be judgmental, just an opinion.

I hope this helps.
tymaboy 06:45 AM 08-28-2009
SOme babies will not take a bottle from the mom after being breast fed, but the will do just fine for dad or someone else. Tell mom to have the dad work on giving the baby a bottle that way it will be easier on you. I suggest also have a 2 week trail period posted in you policy/contract that way if it does not work out you can terminate without a 2 week notice.
Unregistered 11:01 AM 08-28-2009
I will not take any baby who is not taking a bottle before they arrive. It is way too difficult if the baby refuses to eat. Also, if the mother is in the room, the baby probably won't take the bottle from you either. I have had a situation, where mom was exclusively breastfeeding at home, and never given a bottle. The baby refused to take it from me, although I could hear her stomach growl from hunger. She screamed all day, every day. I will never take a baby who has not transitioned to a bottle proir to care ever again. I was so bad, I almost quit. It should be the parents responsbility to wean her to a bottle, perhaps by dad or someone else. But if you will be taking on 3 new kids all at the same time, this may be just too much to ask of you. I know I wouldn't do it.
Unregistered 01:16 PM 08-29-2009
Thank you to all of you for helping me through this, well, I decided I will not be watching the children, since I felt mthe other was leaving all the responsibility to me to wean the baby to the bottle, and she would not return my calls or text when all I wanted to know how she was doing with her bottle feeding at home, when she would finally call me, she would say she would not take the bottle, and that she just would breastfeed the baby.
I felt that it would in the long run give me alot of grief. Thanks to all for all your good advise.
Reply Up