Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Infants Nap Too Long? Do You Ever Wake Them?
Unregistered 09:45 AM 10-16-2013
I have an 8 month old infant for 8 1/2 hours a day. Out of those hours only about 3 are awake hours. She usually has a bottle when getting here, naps 2 hours later for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Wakes, has a late lunch, is up for about an hour or so and then naps til dcd picks her up an hour or so later. I also have a 6 month old that follows almost the exact schedule but is here less time.
Maria2013 10:09 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an 8 month old infant for 8 1/2 hours a day. Out of those hours only about 3 are awake hours. She usually has a bottle when getting here, naps 2 hours later for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Wakes, has a late lunch, is up for about an hour or so and then naps til dcd picks her up an hour or so later. I also have a 6 month old that follows almost the exact schedule but is here less time.
not all infants require the same amount of sleep I see nothing alarming in your baby's sleeping pattern ...what mom says?
Michael 11:40 AM 10-16-2013
I found a similar thread that has useful information: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13044
melilley 11:43 AM 10-16-2013
I never wake a sleeping baby. IMO if they are sleeping then I feel that they need it. Once they are 1 though, I do get them on what I call a "toddler schedule".
Leigh 01:57 PM 10-16-2013
At that age, children should sleep 14-15 hours per day (9-10 hours awake). So, it makes sense that in about 1/3 of her day, she would sleep about 1/3 of her hours. I'd say that is just right...she'll soon start having more waking hours than sleeping.
LaLa1923 05:53 PM 10-16-2013
Every child is different, but I've had all of my kids on a schedule from about 10-12 weeks old. They took an am nap and then a pm nap. My infants follow the same here. When the afternoom comes everyone is asleep at the same time. My kids went to bed by 7 pm and woke by 8am.
BrooklynM 09:41 PM 10-16-2013
My daughter (she's 14 now) slept a LOT when she was a baby. She has never missed a day of school for being sick. She is super healthy.

My son (he's 11 now) NEVER slept. I mean, hardly ever. He was horrible. He was ALWAYS sick!

I have no idea if those are coincidences or not but I think sleep is the #1 way that you heal your body and you create healthy cells, so if they baby seems healthy when she is awake, I say, let her sleep. If she seems lethargic and unhealthy, discuss it with the parents.
Tags:sleep - length, sleeping - too long, wake up time, waking
Reply Up