Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I get insurance?
marcieandpie 08:42 AM 01-20-2015
Hi guys, long time lurker here I am starting an in-home daycare hopefully by March if licensing goes smoothly, and I'm wondering what your opinions are on having insurance for up to 6 kids? The state (GA) requires that families sign a form saying that the daycare does not have liability insurance if it doesn't carry any, but I'm not sure if that protects the daycare if something does happen or if it is just to give notice.

My question is, do you think it is necessary to have liability insurance or is that just a selling point? I truly don't know! TIA!
AmyKidsCo 09:10 AM 01-20-2015
IMO it's necessary for you - not a selling point. If anything were to happen - or a parent even accused you - you'll need the insurance. Claims can run into the $100,000s and more.
Annalee 09:16 AM 01-20-2015
I would definitely get insurance...I have my insurance through DCI and have had a policy for many years with them. I have never had a claim but know of fellow providers whom have and DCI worked those issues out to the positive for the provider.
LysesKids 09:48 AM 01-20-2015
I have liability insurance for the childcare... in fact some states require a minimum amount. I also wouldn't want to lose everything I own just because a parent signed something saying they knew you didn't have any - that still gives them the right to sue because something happened to their snowflake, it doesn't cover you because it's not a waiver for liability
daycarediva 09:58 AM 01-20-2015
My state doesn't require insurance but I would never operate a business without it!!
lovemykidstoo 10:03 AM 01-20-2015
I have it and would never go without it. I would not trust a simple piece of paper that they signed saying they know I don't have it. My state does not require it, but having said that, if your mortgage company knows you have a daycare, they will mandate that you have insurance. It's really worth the money and piece of mind.
marcieandpie 10:28 AM 01-20-2015
Thanks for the replies!
originalkat 03:53 PM 01-21-2015
Insurance is a must! I have a 1 million dollar coverage through Assure Child Care.
Daycare Insurance 10:43 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by marcieandpie:
Hi guys, long time lurker here I am starting an in-home daycare hopefully by March if licensing goes smoothly, and I'm wondering what your opinions are on having insurance for up to 6 kids? The state (GA) requires that families sign a form saying that the daycare does not have liability insurance if it doesn't carry any, but I'm not sure if that protects the daycare if something does happen or if it is just to give notice.

My question is, do you think it is necessary to have liability insurance or is that just a selling point? I truly don't know! TIA!
Yes, you need Insurance!!!! Yes we do provide it, but we don't care where you get it as long as you get it! Our main concern is educating the public on the benefits of having insurance. Please feel to contact our office for more information, we would be happy to get you generic information any time.
Tags:daycare insurance
Reply Up