Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child in Sports
CountryRoads 05:54 AM 08-13-2020
Ds is doing middle school sports for the first time this year.

For those of you with kids in sports, how do you make it work? Do you close early or all day? Do you just miss games? Do you hire a sub?

I don't think there will be too many games, so I think I may just give a forewarning that there will be some closures. But also worried that I will have some irritated families. Even though several of them leave work early to watch their child's games But anyways, any input?
Cat Herder 06:15 AM 08-13-2020
My DH and I took turns attending our kids functions and staying with the daycare. He is my sub. I put in a lot of hours helping him with his job as well. We are a team and have the same goals. It was a rare event that we both got to attend.

To us, that was the cost of my being home everyday to give them a good breakfast before school, an afterschool snack, healthy supper going and a clean home waiting when they got off the bus. Not to mention never worrying about school closures, sick days or inclement weather.

That said, it is easier for us since I was in the same profession full-time as he is now and keep all my certifications current. He takes all the mandatory daycare training hours, too. We are pretty much interchangebale except the kids like him better. He's the cool Uncle and I make them clean up their own toys.
Annalee 07:28 AM 08-13-2020
I've been closing at 4:30 since my kids were born. My oldest just graduated High School and my youngest is a Junior in High School this year.

While they are grown and can drive now, I'm NOT going back...remaining at 4:30.
Jupadia 08:26 AM 08-13-2020
My kids just do swim lessons, which I can book after daycare hours. I've also booked during hours knowing I wont be able to go, their grandparents bring them if that's the case.
The older one 7 years is also in Karate but they have many diffrent class slot times you cam go at, both in evenings and Saturdays. He did have one belt ceremony so far, I missed that one but will be closing early for the next time.
Snowmom 09:27 AM 08-13-2020
I'm a 7:30-4:30 person. I changed dc hours about 5 years ago and will never go back to earlier or later.

My husband usually takes our son to hockey. Mainly because I hate helping with hockey gear. But sometimes those practices are at 4:30.

I take my daughter to soccer, which is usually between 5-6:30 start time.
Sunshine69 01:02 PM 08-13-2020
It all depends on the situation. Is there an allotment for personal time in your contract? Are the parents understanding and cooperative? Do you already have a sub or do you have to hire/train a new one?

I had one parent who would passive-aggressively be late even if it was only 15 minutes earlier I had to close. I ended up closing for the day instead, inconveniencing the other parents and costing myself a day’s pay just because I couldn’t count on him to show up on time.

I have an assistant I’ve had cover for me here and there for a couple hours at a time. I’m not currently asking her to work as she is a risk for Coronavirus. I’ve found it difficult to find subs who are willing to maintain the hours of training and certification just for a few days of work each year. If you can network with other providers and share the same subs, it works better.

Sometimes I’ve found it more cost effective to close for the day and not charge my clients, than to pay someone minimum wage for the hours I needed. It’s hard to pay out minimum wage if you’re not making it.

My daughter has had to wait at school for me, after practice, on several occasions, because parents picked up after closing time. In my area, there’s not much going on for fall sports due to Coronavirus restrictions, so I shouldn’t have those hoops to jump through just yet.

Prioritize as best you can and do what works for you.
Tags:extra curricular activities, providers own children, sports
Reply Up