Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Show Me Your Cubby Bins Please!!!
Crazy8 09:42 AM 09-12-2014
If you have those typical cubbies in your playroom (11x11" I think) please show me what type of bins or baskets you use!!!

I know some mentioned velcro-ing them down, interested in seeing that too. I use the $5 fabric bins and they are always getting destroyed - they are just cardboard underneath so when little arms go in they crush them and in order to get toys out they don't just pull out a little, they pull to the floor and everything goes flying!

Need other options! A little afraid of wicker - don't want little pieces breaking off and ending up in a baby's mouth. My crowd is 2 and under, with a few crawlers.
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 09-12-2014
Here are mine
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 09-12-2014
Here is an individual basket picture
daycarediva 09:53 AM 09-12-2014

these are what I use. Dollar store! I label them with a photo/word of what goes inside, then use a Velcro tab for each child's corresponding Velcro name tag. If their name is on that bin, it's theirs/their responsibility to clean up before moving on.

They RARELY break, some of the littles even sit on them upside down and they hold up pretty well. The handles are the weakest part, so as long as they aren't overloaded/heavy they work great.

*ETA* I use them for cubbies, too. I use packaging tape to go over the name tag/picture.
Crazy8 11:06 AM 09-12-2014
I will have to check the dollar store tomorrow! We only have one store nearby and I've never seen anything good in there but maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow!!!
BrooklynM 11:15 AM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here are mine
OK, that is ADORABLE! I wish I had the room for those! SOOOO cute!
Controlled Chaos 11:17 AM 09-12-2014
Here are mine
Those are awesome!

I have the fabric one's from target.
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
OK, that is ADORABLE! I wish I had the room for those! SOOOO cute!
Helps to have a DH that is employed as a woodworker/cabinet maker.

I am actually selling them on CL right now (it's two cubbie units shaped into an "L") and he is making me a new set that is natural wood instead.

Yes, I am grateful that I have the room for them. If I didn't have a separate entry way, I don't know how I'd get through the day sometimes.
Crazy8 11:42 AM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Those are awesome!

I have the fabric one's from target.
Do you have problems with the fabric ones?? I always just replaced them as they got damaged but as I've said often lately, the kids are just dumping them and collapsing them every 5 minutes and they seem to be getting trashed sooner than they used to!
TwinKristi 12:04 PM 09-12-2014
Dh built a piece that we could use to cover our non-functioning fire place which has to be closed off for daycare anyway. I bought the bins at Target for like $15-18 I think and the smaller ones were like $9-10? I just buy more as needed but don't really have space for more! LOL I have a new baby starting in Oct so I have to figure out what to do before one of the other DCGs leave in mid-late Oct.
Attached: image.jpg (70.8 KB) 
melilley 12:13 PM 09-12-2014
Helps to have a DH that is employed as a woodworker/cabinet maker.

I am actually selling them on CL right now (it's two cubbie units shaped into an "L") and he is making me a new set that is natural wood instead.

Yes, I am grateful that I have the room for them. If I didn't have a separate entry way, I don't know how I'd get through the day sometimes.
Lucky you!
I keep trying to get my dh to make me a loft or cubbies (I used to have some, but they were ruined on our fire ) or shelving units. For some reason, I haven't been graced with even one of those.

Is it hard to make the cubbies/lockers? Dh can do some things, but is limited in what he knows how to do.
daycare 12:15 PM 09-12-2014
since this is not private I will pm the pics.... oh wait can we do that?
Kimskiddos 01:13 PM 09-12-2014
I had a clipping from a lakeshore catalog that hung on my refrigerator for about 2 years of the cubbies I was hoping dh would build for me. It had the dimensions and everything. I was patient and he did finally build them for me a couple of years ago.

I like having them and it makes a great room divider too.
Attached: cubbie.JPG (101.7 KB) 
Thriftylady 02:39 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Lucky you!
I keep trying to get my dh to make me a loft or cubbies (I used to have some, but they were ruined on our fire ) or shelving units. For some reason, I haven't been graced with even one of those.

Is it hard to make the cubbies/lockers? Dh can do some things, but is limited in what he knows how to do.
Sometimes the problem isn't knowing how, it's having the right tools and those can get expensive especially if you aren't going to be using them a ton. Then of course you have to store them. I love woodworking but don't because I don't have access to proper tools.
daycare 02:49 PM 09-12-2014
I made these
daycare 02:52 PM 09-12-2014
Hm it didn't post
Attached: image.jpg (113.1 KB) 
Controlled Chaos 02:56 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Do you have problems with the fabric ones?? I always just replaced them as they got damaged but as I've said often lately, the kids are just dumping them and collapsing them every 5 minutes and they seem to be getting trashed sooner than they used to!
I have only had a problem with the ones that have animal faces with mesh mouthes, the stuff us always falling out that way. It drives me nuts. But they are cute
Blackcat31 06:35 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I had a clipping from a lakeshore catalog that hung on my refrigerator for about 2 years of the cubbies I was hoping dh would build for me. It had the dimensions and everything. I was patient and he did finally build them for me a couple of years ago.

I like having them and it makes a great room divider too.
Kim, way to be patient! They are really cute too!

The home made ones are always so much better quality than the store bought ones imho.

Originally Posted by melilley:
Lucky you!

Honestly I dont think they are that hard to make. I helped DH and it seemed pretty basic but then again I was just doing what he said to do step by step..
Crazy8 06:43 PM 09-12-2014
these will be for toys, not kids belongings so they need to be able to stand up to lots of toddler play!!!
TwinKristi 07:06 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
these will be for toys, not kids belongings so they need to be able to stand up to lots of toddler play!!!
I keep toys in the bottom shelves on mine. Kids stuff are in the same type but on the top row and now one has invaded the lower area. I have one that's taken lots of abuse and is finally starting to bend on one handle. They make them in several sizes and I use fabric labeling stickers to label them "Legos" or "Infant toys" and I keep my wipes and hanging pad in another with a change of clothes for my own son and it's labeled as well.

I have some other blue Sterilite baskets like these linked below that I keep the push cars, plastic blocks, wooden blocks, little people, etc. in and keep on a shelf. I label them in the the handle part what they are but you could easily out a pic on the front or word.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002BA...&pi=SX200_QL40
Crazy8 11:28 AM 09-13-2014
nothing good at the dollar store today.

will have to check Target and Walmart but I know those can be pricey!
Tags:bins, cubbies, cubby, velcro
Reply Up