Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Return Check
MomBoss 10:10 AM 09-13-2018
I got my first returned check. Checked my bank account this morning and found i was missing money. Looked and saw a check was being returned. Whats confusing is that the check was cleared and in my account tues and wed and now today its being returned. So glad i didnt spend it on a bill! I have a policy for this - $50 fee for non sufficient checks, but this is going to be an awkward conversation...that has to happen tomorrow because my bank cant tell me who it belongs to until the return check is done proccessing! Ugh!
littlefriends 10:31 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I got my first returned check. Checked my bank account this morning and found i was missing money. Looked and saw a check was being returned. Whats confusing is that the check was cleared and in my account tues and wed and now today its being returned. So glad i didnt spend it on a bill! I have a policy for this - $50 fee for non sufficient checks, but this is going to be an awkward conversation...that has to happen tomorrow because my bank cant tell me who it belongs to until the return check is done proccessing! Ugh!
I’ve had that happen to me a few times too, so sorry. Very frustrating!! I tell mine they have a $75 returned check fee plus then the $40 late payment fee that’s all due immediately and then they are never allowed to write a check again.
Laugh and Learn 10:37 AM 09-13-2018
I only had that happen once. I just sent a polite text message saying that the check had been returned, I made it sound like I’m sure it was just an accidental oversight it could happen to anyone etc. she came to pick up with cash for that week and insisted I take an extra $40 for the fees. Never happened again. She was one of those great parents to have though...
Jupadia 03:16 PM 09-13-2018
That sucks, I have not had it happen yet but installed a large pently for those that due. They not only owe all services fees but an additional 25 per day from the day fees were supposed to be paid on. As well they may only pay in cash from then on.
Gemma 04:48 PM 09-13-2018
That happened to me 3 times so I stopped taking checks!
LysesKids 07:14 PM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
That happened to me 3 times so I stopped taking checks!
Same here... cash or credit card only thru Square
storybookending 07:48 PM 09-13-2018
I had one of these just last week! Mom claimed there was money in the account and they have just been having problems with the bank and brought over cash on her lunch break. I recently left the bank they are having issues with so I’m not surprised it happened and I’m inclined to believe her. My debit card got declined for a $6 purchase the other day and I have money in my account as well. Either way all I had in my policies was that they’re required to pay the fee I’m changed and in this case it was $12 and she paid that as well. I don’t have anything in my contract about late payment but will be adding it next time contract renew.
MomBoss 05:18 AM 09-14-2018
I have in my policy a $50 inconvenience fee for NSF checks. This covers bounced check fees and any overdraft fees i may have now. Im so non confrontational so i have to do this over a text message lol
getnsmart 05:50 AM 09-14-2018
Prayers are with the ones going through hurricane Florence, but ABC should have deposited our checks before they closed. Most of my children on the voucher program. Oh well. Gotta get back to work 😂😂😂
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 09-14-2018
I have in my policy a $50 inconvenience fee for NSF checks. This covers bounced check fees and any overdraft fees i may have now. Im so non confrontational so i have to do this over a text message lol
Their check bounced, why would you need to handle it via text message? They should be the ones to feel embarrassed and/or uncomfortable about the situation.

I would do as Laugh and Learn mentioned and just approach it as if it were an over sight and no big deal..

*smile* "DCM, I think your check for last week came back as NSF. You might want to check with them. I have a fee of $X for any checks returned so you might want to double check everything will clear okay so your budget isn't impacted. I think paying in cash would be best until you get your checking account figured out." *smile*
MomBoss 06:31 AM 09-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Their check bounced, why would you need to handle it via text message? They should be the ones to feel embarrassed and/or uncomfortable about the situation.

I would do as Laugh and Learn mentioned and just approach it as if it were an over sight and no big deal..

*smile* "DCM, I think your check for last week came back as NSF. You might want to check with them. I have a fee of $X for any checks returned so you might want to double check everything will clear okay so your budget isn't impacted. I think paying in cash would be best until you get your checking account figured out." *smile*
Im non confrontational about added fees. Anything more than tuition fees i always feel weird askig for but i know we need these policies to avoid being taken advantage of. Im asking for $50 for NSF fee for inconvenience (in my policy) but my bank fee for returned check was only $9. Technically the check is 5 days late and there should be 5 days worth of late fees too.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 09-14-2018
Im non confrontational about added fees. Anything more than tuition fees i always feel weird askig for but i know we need these policies to avoid being taken advantage of. Im asking for $50 for NSF fee for inconvenience (in my policy) but my bank fee for returned check was only $9. Technically the check is 5 days late and there should be 5 days worth of late fees too.
Gotcha... but still YOU had to deal with this and that sucks.

What other financial obligation/institute has this type of knowledge about a family's banking situation....kwim?

When a business gets an NSF check there are all sorts of fees attached and there should be....just like you said, the payment is technically late AND you have to spend this time taking care of it.

I would think the family should assume there are fees...and it should be something they willing WANT to pay to their care provider to keep the relationship a good one.

Im sorry this happened to you. It's a PITA for sure.
I hope this family isn't one to do it again. If so, request a different form of payment for sure.
Tags:bounced check, bounced check letter, late payment fee, returned check
Reply Up