Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Did You Want To Be When You "Grew" Up?
melilley 12:23 PM 09-23-2013
My 10 year old daughter had an assignment at school where she had to answer questions about herself. Well one of the questions was "when I get older I want a job as________. and she said "daycare"! I knew she liked to help me, but I never thought she would say that!

What did you want to be when you "grew" up?

I have always wanted to be an elem. teacher, but earned my a AA in Child Development and opened my fcc years later.
SilverSabre25 12:24 PM 09-23-2013
I wanted to be a veterinarian.
jenboo 12:32 PM 09-23-2013
I wanted to be an artist or teacher. I started out as liberal studies my first semester in collage then changed to child and family development and earned my bachelors degree.
I am definitely no where near being an artist....no talent here!
Size18 12:33 PM 09-23-2013
So many things, but when I got to the age where I realized that life was real... LOL!, I dreamed of being a mother, and staying home to raise my babies. I always enjoyed caring for babies and children, cooking and baking, and staying busy around the house, so settling myself into a career of doing just that, fit the bill for me perfectly!

I wanted to be just like MY mom.
Size18 12:39 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by melilley
My 10 year old daughter had an assignment at school where she had to answer questions about herself. Well one of the questions was "when I get older I want a job as________. and she said "daycare"! I knew she liked to help me, but I never thought she would say that!
That is so awesome!
Michelle 12:40 PM 09-23-2013
I just wanted to be wanted
Brooksie 12:41 PM 09-23-2013
Well it started that I wanted to be a geologist, and then a high school history teacher and then when I graduated I realized that I never wanted to spend any more time in high school and then I was pursuing a degree in Zoology when I got pregnant. I then was certified for Daycare, and licensed and now I'm up for a scholarship through Maryland State Department of Education to get a degree in child development and early education. Oh how things change over time!
AfterSchoolMom 12:54 PM 09-23-2013
I wanted to be a horse trainer. From high school onward, I wanted to be an artist/art teacher. Now I'd just love to have time to draw something once in awhile.
BumbleBee 01:02 PM 09-23-2013
I wanted to be a teacher & a mom. :-)
WImom 01:05 PM 09-23-2013
I wanted to be a mom and preschool teacher. Decided to do childcare so I would make more and own my own business doing it the way I wanted.
tratliff 01:06 PM 09-23-2013
BAHAHAHA, we were cleaning out our storage a while back and I found a box of old school projects and whatnot. In it was some type of future plan we created, must have been 6-7 years old. It clearly stated that when I grew up, I wanted to be an exotic dancer, with those exact words. Pretty crazy. I don't remember that phase but it must have been fun and embarrassing for my mom! (Who was never a stripper, or was anyone we knew, that I know of at least) What I wanted to be has changed so many times and I never had a really clear idea until recently. I had my son pretty young and now, what really matters to me is my family. I love kids and really want to be home with mine without being in the poorhouse all the time. I remember wanting to be a teacher in high school... maybe it's all coming together in some way or another.
Candyland 01:12 PM 09-23-2013
First, a "mom" and then a "teacher".
Michael 01:13 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by tratliff:
BAHAHAHA, we were cleaning out our storage a while back and I found a box of old school projects and whatnot. In it was some type of future plan we created, must have been 6-7 years old. It clearly stated that when I grew up, I wanted to be an exotic dancer, with those exact words. Pretty crazy.
Makes sense to me. Texas!

I wanted to be a singer songwriter.
spinnymarie 01:41 PM 09-23-2013
I always wanted to be a elementary teacher, taught Kindergarten for 6 years and then started my home day care after one year of maternity leave. So far so good!
MsLaura529 02:39 PM 09-23-2013
I wanted to be an elementary teacher or a vet. The vet thing flew out the window when our family dog had a fatty tumor on her leg and I couldn't pet her anywhere near her leg without feeling like gagging, haha.

DD (4) keeps telling people that she wants to be "mom's daycare helper" when she grows up. It used to be a doctor ... I think I'm going to start motivating her towards that again, haha.
Laurel 02:57 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:

I have always wanted to be an elem. teacher, but earned my a AA in Child Development and opened my fcc years later.
I always wanted to be a mom. I had it all planned out. I wanted three children and they would be two girls and one boy. The girl's name was going to be Rebecca. I saw a dress at a department store and decided that I was going to buy it for Rebecca when I was a mom. I guess I'm a planner.

Well I was a stay at home mom before doing daycare and I had three children except that one was a girl (didn't name her Rebecca) and two boys.

I had one daycare girl that definitely always stated she wanted to be a mommy when she grew up. One time we were watching an episode of Barney and they were rattling off occupations. She said "They didn't say mommy!" She was really kind of ticked off about it and, to be honest, so was I a little. Another time she told me she wanted to be what I was...a child care provider.

Laurel
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 09-23-2013
I always wanted to be a wife and mother. Evidently I wasn't very good at the wife part but I guess I turned out to be an okay mom. I mean my kids still love me. I think.
jenn 05:42 PM 09-23-2013
Job wise, I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. I knew from my own kindergarten year on that I wanted to teach. I taught kindergarten for 9 years before opening my daycare.
Non job wise, I wanted to be a wife and mom. I wanted an old farm house, a big wrap around porch, and a slew of kids that I stayed at home with. I have an old house with a regular porch. I have a husband that works hard to support us. I have 1 daughter and she will be an only. I do get to stay at home with her, the other slew of children here are the daycare kids. Not to bad.
Sunchimes 05:45 PM 09-23-2013
I decided to be a first grade teacher when I was in first grade. Somehow, my senior year in high school, I tripped and fell into a home ec major with elem ed endorsement. I'm still not sure how that happened. I don't like to cook or sew, but I loved the child development and family living parts. Taught 6 months and gave up.

I could have gotten a kindy endorsement with my degree but in those days, there were only private kindergartens, and they paid minimum wage. Public schools didn't offer kindy.

I taught 5th grade for awhile. The rest of my adult life I have owned my own business with my husband. Once I owned a pest control company, once I was a registered pork producer ( aka hog farmer), and had a business that contracted with the prison system. Never did teach 1st grade. ;-)
Childminder 05:47 PM 09-23-2013
Early childhood educator
MyAngels 05:50 PM 09-23-2013
Well I wanted to be a dancer or a singer. Unfortunately I have two left feet and can't carry a tune in a bucket, so that didn't pan out too well .
Sugar Magnolia 05:59 PM 09-23-2013
When I was a kid, I remember I wanted to cut hair.
When I was a teen I wanted to be a DJ (not the club kind, you know...the kind that played records on the radio).
When I was in college, I wanted to be a historical archeologist....got the degree....managed restaurants.
As an adult......I want to be novelist or professional sand sculptor. (translation: get paid for my hobbies. Especially sand, tired of entertaining the beach for free)
BBDC 06:01 PM 09-23-2013
teacher! So daycare is not too far off!
Laurel 06:06 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Job wise, I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. I knew from my own kindergarten year on that I wanted to teach. I taught kindergarten for 9 years before opening my daycare.
Non job wise, I wanted to be a wife and mom. I wanted an old farm house, a big wrap around porch, and a slew of kids that I stayed at home with. I have an old house with a regular porch. I have a husband that works hard to support us. I have 1 daughter and she will be an only. I do get to stay at home with her, the other slew of children here are the daycare kids. Not to bad.
I always considered a mom a job. Still do.

Laurel
Maria2013 06:11 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:

you're lucky, I think all 3 of my kids are pretty sure Not to even want kids of their own

I wanted to own a farm with a male and female of every kind possible
MotherNature 06:23 PM 09-23-2013
a cop, a ballerina, a ghostbuster, a vampire
In high school- tattoo artist( almost did go that route), a botanist, a psychologist
Once out in the real world- botanist, nurse/dr.. did actually do a couple yrs of medical studies before staying home w/ my baby. will go back and get a cert in something medical related, just to have it...
jessrlee 03:15 AM 09-24-2013
When I was six I told my Grandma I wanted to go to college to be a princess

Then I decided I wanted to be a teacher, and eventually became a daycare provider
Lucy 08:57 AM 09-24-2013
My mom framed an assignment I wrote when I was in 3rd grade. She had kept it for some reason, and when I started doing Daycare, she framed it and gave it to me. It says:

"When I grow up I want to be a babysitter. My mom is a babysitter and she has the cutest kids! One of them is a baby and I love to hold the baby. She is so cute! I would charge one dollar per hour but if the kids are harder to take care of I would charge a dollar and fifty cents per hour. I love babies the most."

So yeah, I fulfilled my self-prophecy. Fortunately, I get more than $1.50/hour! And ironically, I no longer take babies. Go figure....
Brooksie 09:06 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
My mom framed an assignment I wrote when I was in 3rd grade. She had kept it for some reason, and when I started doing Daycare, she framed it and gave it to me. It says:

"When I grow up I want to be a babysitter. My mom is a babysitter and she has the cutest kids! One of them is a baby and I love to hold the baby. She is so cute! I would charge one dollar per hour but if the kids are harder to take care of I would charge a dollar and fifty cents per hour. I love babies the most."

So yeah, I fulfilled my self-prophecy. Fortunately, I get more than $1.50/hour! And ironically, I no longer take babies. Go figure....

Moppetland 09:15 AM 09-24-2013
I wanted to be a novelist and screenwriter.
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 09-24-2013
Our elementary school always had us collect money for UNICEF.

My dream was to travel the world and save humanity!

I wanted to see and experience every culture there was!

When I got older I wanted to be a research attorney. Even have a couple years of college for it under my belt.

Somehow I ended up being a child care provider with a degree in ECE....

Funny how life takes you where it wants to and not always where you want it to.
Josiegirl 02:23 PM 09-24-2013
"you're lucky, I think all 3 of my kids are pretty sure Not to even want kids of their own"

That's funny. None of my 3 kids wants kids either. I tell people there's no better birth control than running a daycare while your kids are growing up.
littleblossoms 09:32 AM 09-25-2013
I always want to work with kids and be my own boss.
craftymissbeth 10:28 AM 09-25-2013
In elementary school I wanted to be a waitress. In middle school a marine biologist in the ocean. And in high school I wanted to own a bar

I've never been a waitress, only been to the ocean a hand ful of times, and I don't drink more than a beer or two a couple times a year.
Size18 11:51 AM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Lucy

That is darling.
MarinaVanessa 10:41 PM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I wanted to be a veterinarian.

I wanted to be ...
a veterinarian
a police officer
a child psychologist
a website designer
a photographer
and finally a child care provider

I wanted to be a veterinarian from when I was a little girl until I started high school. The police officer one lasted through high school until my first year of college, I took a ju jitsu class and got a black eye ... I didn't like that very much so I changed my mind. The rest were from 2001 until 2010. Technically I've always liked child care, I started when I was 10. I guess I just never thought that I could make a career out of it but I'm glad that I did
Lyss 09:54 AM 09-26-2013
I wanted to be a:

Truck Driver
Cowgirl (Jesse James was my hero preschool through elementary age)
Forensic psychologist
Writer
Social worker
Teacher
coolconfidentme 10:17 AM 09-26-2013
I wanted to be a fireman, but was a police officer instead.
Tags:dreams, interesting
Reply Up