Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Geeze Louise...
daycarediva 09:51 AM 12-22-2014
A Dcm just sent me a text asking if there was ANY WAY I could watch her child Friday. I replied that I was closed, and reminded her of when she was made aware of that.

But she has a lot of things she needs to get done.

Says the SAHM of 1 child in FT childcare to the working mother of 4 with a special needs child.

Any good text responses?
Unregistered 09:55 AM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
A Dcm just sent me a text asking if there was ANY WAY I could watch her child Friday. I replied that I was closed, and reminded her of when she was made aware of that.

But she has a lot of things she needs to get done.

Says the SAHM of 1 child in FT childcare to the working mother of 4 with a special needs child.

Any good text responses?
How about

Hahahahahahahaha
Shell 10:10 AM 12-22-2014
Sure, for ten thousand dollars
Unregistered 10:13 AM 12-22-2014
Too bad you cannot just text back "blank stare".
daycarediva 10:14 AM 12-22-2014
I am considering giving her dd's cell # and stating dd's babysitting rates, and offer to drive dd back and forth.

I am SURE she means- without pay (as she already paid for the day, it's a paid day off for me) & he is contracted for the maximum number of hours I allow and they push it daily.
daycarediva 10:15 AM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by unregistered:
too bad you cannot just text back "blank stare".
seriously!!!
Josiegirl 10:39 AM 12-22-2014
How *does* she ever survive without you right by her side 24/7??
The world is filled with billions of people, it's not any wonder we get a few wackos.
Blackcat31 10:57 AM 12-22-2014

Any good text responses?
Care.com

I have a better response but it just keeps showing up like this: "****-***"
KidGrind 11:46 AM 12-22-2014
My reply, “I have things to get done too. Hence, I am closed. I gave all parents advanced noticed. I hope you enjoy the day after Christmas. I will be enjoying it with my family."
e.j. 11:57 AM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd probably respond with, "I'm sorry; I'd like to help out but I've already made other plans for that day." I'd be really tempted to use Black Cat's response, though!
Leigh 12:29 PM 12-22-2014
How about "No."?

You don't need an excuse to not work on your day off. No is all she deserves. Don't go into "I can't, because..."-it gives her the power in your relationship. She needs to hear "I WON'T".
midaycare 12:31 PM 12-22-2014
I can't even ... What a tool.
TheGoodLife 12:48 PM 12-22-2014
I would be upfront and brutally honest (w/o being rude, but would want to be): I am closed on Friday, and have plans to do a lot as well. I'm sure there are babysitters that might be available with school being out.

I wold be so furious if I had any parents like that; don't they understand that providers have family, lives, and things to do as well?!
TheGoodLife 12:50 PM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'd probably respond with, "I'm sorry; I'd like to help out but I've already made other plans for that day." I'd be really tempted to use Black Cat's response, though!
Nope, I most definitely would never say "I'm sorry" or "I'd like to..." as that makes it seems like they are in the right to ask- NO, it is a paid vacation and I'm sure they would never consider taking work home to do for free on their scheduled day off!
MOM OF 4 12:51 PM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
I would be upfront and brutally honest (w/o being rude, but would want to be): I am closed on Friday, and have plans to do a lot as well. I'm sure there are babysitters that might be available with school being out.

I wold be so furious if I had any parents like that; don't they understand that providers have family, lives, and things to do as well?!
I guess, NO
AmyLeigh 12:58 PM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Too bad you cannot just text back "blank stare".
I believe that is spelled: ...
daycarediva 02:20 PM 12-22-2014
She got the silent treatment... NOTHING back.

Then she picked up 17 minutes after her contracted pickup and was handed a late fee.

Her gift for the new year just might be finding a new provider! UGH!!! I'm so mad right now!
daycare 04:56 PM 12-22-2014

Then she picked up 17 minutes after her contracted pickup and was handed a late fee.

Her gift for the new year just might be finding a new provider! UGH!!! I'm so mad right now!
lol So far I have not had any complaints this year, but last year I did and I just said, sorry this is a family holiday have fun with yours, I will be with mine.

WOW....sorry you are dealing with this....someone shows up friday they will have to answer to my dad. he does not speak english.........lmao
SignMeUp 07:15 PM 12-22-2014
Ha!
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I believe that is spelled: ...

DaveA 05:25 AM 12-23-2014
Yeah- that would be me. I would have to tone it down to a simple "I'M CLOSED!"
Play Care 05:49 AM 12-23-2014

So annoyed for you! I hate when parents do that because even though they are in the wrong, it makes me the "bad guy" and even though I swear I won't, I find myself stewing over it which takes away some of my enjoyment of the day.
But I like not justifying it with a response. She knows the answer, IMO she's being RUDE by asking. Or even just a "No." With no explanations or placating.
Rockgirl 06:16 AM 12-23-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
How about "No."?

You don't need an excuse to not work on your day off. No is all she deserves. Don't go into "I can't, because..."-it gives her the power in your relationship. She needs to hear "I WON'T".
Agree 100%, although I think the silent treatment was good, too. Enjoy your day off!
daycare 07:29 AM 12-23-2014
if this were me, I would need piece of mind that there was closure to this drama.

I would just respond with, sorry this is a paid closed holiday......

Years ago I had a dcf that did something like this to me on 4th of july. they were from a diff country so they didn't get it. they text me to tell me that they still needed to drop off and they had to work. They were self employed. Well long story short, I didn't respond, they showed up. DCD said oh, you didn't get my text....UGH I was so mad, they termed care on the spot that day and I could not be happier, but it stunk having to go through that.

So now I always make a point to make sure that I am proactive and just say NO....lol sorry that makes me think of a program I taught back in the 90's....it was DARE program, their motto was just say no................
daycarediva 11:16 AM 12-23-2014
it gets better- she showed up and 'forgot' that payment was due today for next week (payment is due the last day the child is in care or care is available that week).

Proceed argument about when she COULD pay me. I even said that I would take a post dated check OR I can process credit card payments Friday. GRRRRRR GRRRRRR GRRRRR.
Unregistered 04:25 PM 12-23-2014
it gets better- she showed up and 'forgot' that payment was due today for next week (payment is due the last day the child is in care or care is available that week).

Proceed argument about when she COULD pay me. I even said that I would take a post dated check OR I can process credit card payments Friday. GRRRRRR GRRRRRR GRRRRR.
She'll probably try to show up Friday. To a locked door!!!
daycare 04:42 PM 12-23-2014

I had two that tried this today and I said you know we accept credit cards or late fees...then smiled
delferka 06:06 PM 12-23-2014
It's called the new generation of high maintenance parents. The kind that bring them to you when they feel sick and go back home to rest! Give me a break! Some people just don't understand REAL parenting! I feel sorry for their children as adults!
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 12-24-2014
Originally Posted by delferka:
It's called the new generation of high maintenance parents. The kind that bring them to you when they feel sick and go back home to rest! Give me a break! Some people just don't understand REAL parenting! I feel sorry for their children as adults!
These ARE the children of the adults that did this.

Most the parents I have now days have zero clue about how to raise a child, let alone how to say no and follow through with it.

The blame falls on their parents for not teaching them responsibility.

What we see now as parents is the result of their own upbringing so we can't really blame them....most of them require as much parenting as their child.

For the first time, providers are finding themselves having to parent/educate both the adult and the child(ren) of the families we serve.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 12-24-2014
These ARE the children of the adults that did this.

Most the parents I have now days have zero clue about how to raise a child, let alone how to say no and follow through with it.

The blame falls on their parents for not teaching them responsibility.

What we see now as parents is the result of their own upbringing so we can't really blame them....most of them require as much parenting as their child.

For the first time, providers are finding themselves having to parent/educate both the adult and the child(ren) of the families we serve.
I agree! The funny thing is a few of my parents are about the same age or a couple of years older than me, and I still have to teach them how to parent their child, and I have no children myself. Some of these parents just have no common sense. They use the "I'm still learning this is my first child" excuse or "I'm reading (insert parenting book)". If I used these types of excuses, I wouldn't have lasted in this profession long. And these excuses don't cut it especially when we are talking about their second child.

I think the problem is these parents do not spend enough quality time with their children to get to know their child's quirks, wants, and needs. I get most parents need to work, but if you are not going to enjoy being with your child, why even have them in the first place. It's sad when a dck rather comes and follows me around then his/her own parent when we are in the same vicinity because dck knows I give/show affection and attention to him/her (happened at our Christmas party).
Buttercup 10:36 AM 01-03-2015
Update?? Please tell me you termed them!!! She comes late, doesn't pay on time, and whines that you take days off. She's acting like a 3 year old, and what makes it worse is that SHE DOESN'T EVEN WORK! She didn't even NEED to bring her kid to you the day after Christmas!

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this opinion, but you don't get to call yourself a SAHM if you put your children in daycare 5 days a week so you can "get stuff done"
CraftyMom 11:13 AM 01-03-2015
I'm just reading this now, but I would have wanted to say "Sure I'll watch your ONE child one day of my vacation. In exchange I will be dropping off my FOUR kids for you to watch on YOUR vacation so I can get a few things done myself"

In all actuality I wouldn't say that since it would open the door for her to bring her child.

How rude of her to even ask!
Unregistered 11:43 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by delferka:
I think some people just don't love their children. I used to think some people just didn't "like" their children, but loved them. You know, the types that try to turn children into little adults/robots, but do care and protect them. No, I've had parents that I knew didn't love their children. They put themselves before their children. I can't tell you how many times I've had parents come in with a drink or food and NOTHING for the child and eat and drink it right in front of them. It's not a case of say they were drinking a soda and they don't allow the child to have a soda, it's just selfishness. Just as I've seen them visibly treat another child better in front of the one I'm watching. It's not for a special occasion, it happens all the time. I've even overheard parents say in a serious tone they only had the child, or child they're pregnant with, because "I need more child support".
Unregistered 11:53 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by Buttercup:
Update?? Please tell me you termed them!!! She comes late, doesn't pay on time, and whines that you take days off. She's acting like a 3 year old, and what makes it worse is that SHE DOESN'T EVEN WORK! She didn't even NEED to bring her kid to you the day after Christmas!

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this opinion, but you don't get to call yourself a SAHM if you put your children in daycare 5 days a week so you can "get stuff done"
I don't get why sahm moms need daycare at all. If worse comes to worse hire a babysitter for a few hours. I took my children, I used to be a sahm, anywhere I had to go including food shopping. When they napped, I did things like cleaning and laundry. Once my children reached school age, I would take them with me if I wanted a hair cut or nails done. That's why now, my children are adults now, it amazes me when I'm somewhere and children act like animals. I can't believe parents don't want to spend time with their own children. I balled when my children started kinder. Now, it seems like parents can't wait to get their kids in daycare or school.
Leigh 11:59 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I'm just reading this now, but I would have wanted to say "Sure I'll watch your ONE child one day of my vacation. In exchange I will be dropping off my FOUR kids for you to watch on YOUR vacation so I can get a few things done myself"

In all actuality I wouldn't say that since it would open the door for her to bring her child.

How rude of her to even ask!
I DID say that to a DCP this summer. They wanted to me to watch their 3 on Saturday. I said sure, then you can watch mine on Sunday! End of discussion.
daycarediva 04:15 PM 01-03-2015
I am actually giving a 'test run' to someone on my waiting list (as a drop in this week, since the child of this Mom is on vacation). I love the kid though. AWESOME kid.
cheerfuldom 11:45 AM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't get why sahm moms need daycare at all. If worse comes to worse hire a babysitter for a few hours. I took my children, I used to be a sahm, anywhere I had to go including food shopping. When they napped, I did things like cleaning and laundry. Once my children reached school age, I would take them with me if I wanted a hair cut or nails done. That's why now, my children are adults now, it amazes me when I'm somewhere and children act like animals. I can't believe parents don't want to spend time with their own children. I balled when my children started kinder. Now, it seems like parents can't wait to get their kids in daycare or school.
I have taken my kids to a gyno appt.....lol (they didnt see anything, dont worry) but yeah, people just need to suck it up and take their kids with them. If your kids cant go with you, then I guess mom and dad cant go either. welcome to parenthood.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up