Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Figuring T/S% for Only a Couple of Months?
MG&Lsmom 09:34 AM 01-20-2011
I officially started daycare as of Sept. 3rd. I had 1 steady child for all of Sept & Oct, no one for November, and another child started Dec. 15. I've had drop ins here and there, maybe 2-3x/wk for less than 3hrs at a time.

If I wanted to write off some home expenses (mortgage, electric, gas) do I still use the whole year for figuring T/S% and the whole year of bills? Or is there a way to do it for each month since it's only 3 months?

I'm wondering if it's even worth it given the small amounts of time and income. My total income from the year is just under $1800 for 2010. The only expense I have to deduct is my license fee ($100). All food/formula was provided by the parents.

Even with this income, DH & I made less than 2009 and we got a substantial return last year.
TomCopeland 05:20 PM 01-20-2011
Count all the hours you did work in 2010 and divide by the number of hours in the year from Sept 3 - December 31. You then enter your house expenses on Form 8829 that you had between Sept 3 and Dec 31.

You have a lot more expenses than you think: depreciation on all the furniture and appliances in your home, toys, children's stuff etc. Also - cleaning supplies, mileage, house maintenance stuff...
Tags:time space percentage, tom copeland
Reply Up