Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting
texascare 07:34 AM 05-24-2011
I have a child who is 15 months old who started biting a month ago. I have a small group (4)and so far she has bit 2 of the children. I talked to the parents about it and mom seems to always kinda laugh about it and brush it off. She dons't take it seriolusly. She has bit more than any biter I have ever had and when she does bite it is a hard, clinched down bite. Almost drawing blood. Dad has told me to "bust her bottom". Mom says oh don't be too hard on her. Well she bit the same child yesterday over a toy issue and now the mom of the child who is getting bit is upset. She relizes it happens but this is getting a bit much. She always bites when my back is turned to another child. Just when i can't see her!!! So at pick up yesterday this child bit her own mom right in front of me. Mom was like oh she kissed me. I said there is a mouth ring on your shoulder where she bit. I said when she shows teeth pop her in the mouth lightly!!! I was so frustrated at this point. Mom thinks its a "laughing matter", and the other mom is getting mad about it. HELP!!! Please!
momma2girls 07:39 AM 05-24-2011
I had one child who was three, yes three bite the first day of daycare.
He bit my own daughter which was 5 at the time.
His sisters warned me after about 5 min. being at my house about him biting.
Of course the mom didn't say anything about it.
He actually drew blood on her.
I called his Mom immediately after placing him in time out, he hit and kicked me, and was kicking at my time out room at the door.
I told his Mom she needed to pick him up instantly, and he couldn't return!!!
I would really horrible if that would have been another child in daycare.
You take the risk of other parents leaving you, if you continue with the biting child.
Live and Learn 08:20 AM 05-24-2011
Get daycare mom to take this seriously or risk losing both the biter and the victims.

I would let mom know that you will call for immediate pick up at next bite.
Michelle 08:27 AM 05-24-2011
also let both parents know that you can't and won't "smack" their child!
jeeez!
texascare 09:56 AM 05-24-2011
Michelle-no I can't and wouldn't "smack" a child, but I can see that the father takes this seriously as the mother who looks at is being part of a kid and growing up. I am sure she would feel the other way if her child was the one getting bit. I don't know how to get the mom to take this seriously. I have been stern when talking with her explaining that children do get "kicked" out of daycares for this type of behavior.
Live and Learn 10:08 AM 05-24-2011
In order for her to take it seriously you need to make it inconvenient for HER.

Let her know that from now on each time he bites he will go into solitary until she gets there. Require prompt pick up-1 hour tops. And then charge $1 per minute after that. Charge her for a full day even if she has to pick up early.

Make this HER problem.
Reply Up