Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With A Baby And Mom With Sleep Training
Unregistered 07:21 AM 10-10-2013
Baby is 6 months and not sleeping more than 30 minutes. We had a great routine going of doing 3, 5, 7, 10 minute intervals to get baby to sleep and back to sleep if he woke less than an hour into nap time. After 30 minutes of not going to sleep we would get baby up. We were using the same key words every time. All of a sudden baby is back to sleeping 25 minutes and screaming his head off until you get him up. Mom says she stopped the intervals and gets him up if he seems happy and then takes him on a walk in the stroller to get him to nap longer.

I need to play hard ball. Mom has undone what we were trying to do. I told her when we started the interval training that if it didn't work here I would have to start CIO. She wasn't comfortable with that right then bc her pediatrician said not til 8/9 months old, but as a last resort I think this is what needs to be done.

I am about to have a baby and I have another infant and 2 toddlers here that also need to nap and I need a break during the day as well. This baby needs to learn to sleep.

How would you address this with the mom?
Unregistered 01:04 PM 10-10-2013
Anyone?
cheerfuldom 01:16 PM 10-10-2013
you cant force a mom to do something she doesnt feel comfortable with and something you know that she won't keep going at home. I would let this family go and find an older child. you already have a baby on the way plus another daycare baby and two toddlers.....I think adding another baby would just stretch you way too thin. I generally suggest one child under one year old, two children under two. sounds like you have four under two right now and another newborn soon. perhaps it would be best for everyone to let this non-napper go and replace with a family that is a better fit.
Unregistered 01:29 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
you cant force a mom to do something she doesnt feel comfortable with and something you know that she won't keep going at home. I would let this family go and find an older child. you already have a baby on the way plus another daycare baby and two toddlers.....I think adding another baby would just stretch you way too thin. I generally suggest one child under one year old, two children under two. sounds like you have four under two right now and another newborn soon. perhaps it would be best for everyone to let this non-napper go and replace with a family that is a better fit.
I'm not trying to force mom. She said she'd resort to CIO if interval training didn't work. She gave up on trying any training at all without telling me, then all of a sudden baby won't sleep more than 30 minutes again. I don't have 4 under 2. I have a 3 month and 6 month old and 2 2.5 year olds and an assistant. It's not too much work for me, I never said that.

Isn't it the parents responsibility to prep a child for group care. She's not even trying to get him to sleep anymore. If she doesn't I will have to term.
spinnymarie 01:40 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Isn't it the parents responsibility to prep a child for group care. She's not even trying to get him to sleep anymore. If she doesn't I will have to term.
It is, and I think that's what the PP was saying, it sounds like the mom has decided she isn't willing to work with you on this anymore, as she stopped all attempts at the chosen system without telling you. If it were me, I wouldn't trust that she would follow through with CIO at home, and I would either have her return to the system you were previously working with, or term.
cheerfuldom 01:44 PM 10-10-2013
the mom has already told you in action that she is not willing to work together on this issue. Disregard her words, listen to her actions. Its time to let them go! There was miscommunication on your original post as you never said you had an assistant and most people consider 2.5 year olds as preschool age. You are the one that said that part of the napping issue was that you were not getting a needed break in your day....that is where my comment about stretching yourself too thin came from.

either you can deal with an uncooperative mom and a non-napping baby or you can't. I would term but it's up to you. We providers cannot solve every issue out there and it is okay to say "this is not working for me" and let a family go. good luck to you.
littlemissmuffet 05:07 PM 10-10-2013
I'd term. She doesn't care how his not napping affects you and the rest of your group - she's simply going to do what works best for her. I'd tell her tomorrow morning that she has one week to get him back on track or you will begin CIO. Start advertising.
Tags:sleep - training, sleep issues
Reply Up