Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Half Tuition
blessed mom 03:04 PM 11-05-2013
Do any of you have parents who are teachers? What do you do during their breaks? Fall, winter, spring and summer breaks?
hgonzalez 03:39 PM 11-05-2013
My teacher parents pay me full rate for anything less than three weeks in duration. During the summer, they pay me the equivalent of 3 days per week per child to keep their spot. The kids can, of course, be here during those days.

I have such nice teacher Moms, it usually is not an issue. One Mom barely brought her kids at all during the summer 'because she wanted to spend as much time as possible with them'. What a sweetie.
hope 04:05 PM 11-05-2013
I have teacher dcm's. When they started I was so excited about ending my days earlier so I accepted a deal for no pay on fall and spring recess and full pay (my vacation) for winter break. Summer they take off and I have only one child here besides my own.
This week is fall recess and each teacher sent in one or two days but paid me for a full week even though we agreed they did not have to. I am lucky. Now I try to keep teachers hours for new comers but I would not give the same deal as I have. These dcm's are special.
e.j. 04:43 PM 11-05-2013
If they want me to hold their spot for them, they pay me my full rate to hold them just as any other dc parent would. If someone else wants the spot and the teacher wants the time off, I'm happy to work around that but I can't afford to hold a spot open without being paid for it.
mrsnj 05:21 PM 11-05-2013
They pay if they come or not Sept to June. I also do not offer discounts for vacations etc as they already take off for the summer (unless they come yr round)

Summer they must give two wk deposit to hold spot or come at least one day a wk. then I try and fill for the rest of the spot for the summer. Otherwise I fill spot and replace.
Unregistered 05:37 PM 11-05-2013
My teacher parents don't pay me for winter, spring or summer break but they do pay me for the holidays (thanksgiving, Labor Day exc) It works out perfect for me! I have my "graduated" daycare kids during the breaks so I don't loose money. Plus then I stay within my numbers. I don't take new school age kids just my old daycare kids that went to kindergarten or 1st grade.
SSWonders 06:18 PM 11-05-2013
My teacher parents do not pay to hold their space for the summer. But they do pay for all other time including school vacations and holidays.
originalkat 06:42 PM 11-05-2013
My teacher families pay full price for Aug-May (including all breaks). They do not have to pay during the summer, but they do need to put down a $250 deposit per child for their fall spot if they plan to return.
snbauser 06:51 PM 11-05-2013
I follow our school schedule. I print out the schedue and whenever it says it is a "holiday" I get paid. If it is listed as a "leave day" I don't. So for example Thanksgiving week I am open Mon and Tues as they are regular school days. I am closed Wed - Fri as the schools are closed. Wed is a "leae day" so I won't get paid for that day but Thurs and Fri are listed as "holidays" so I will get paid. At Christmas time I am closed for 9 days and I think 5 of them are unpaid. For summers I have a shorter day (7:30-4) and I am only open Mon-Wed. Parents pay for the 3 days. They can use them or not. But they must pay for the 3 days in order to guarantee their full time spot for the fall.
blessed mom 02:56 PM 11-06-2013
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I have one dcm who is a teacher and who I just adore! She pays a month in advance and we are on the same page with parenting styles. Awesome family. When she started I offered her half of her full time rate during breaks and summer. If she brought her child during breaks for whatever reason she also paid a day rate as the half tuition was to hold the child's place. This was my first time having a teacher parent. Recently she became pregnant so I've been holding a spot for the baby. Yay. Then because of hubby's job they went to part time but then she wanted to pay half tuition on part time rates! I had to tell her I could not do that...especially when the baby comes. That's two kids that I'm no longer having full time and I'd only get half of the part time rate for about three months of the year. This was a hard decision because I adore her child. You can't help but love them! So I really wanted to know what others did, and if what I was asking was reasonable. I'm sure she'll be shopping around. She said she didn't think she'd be able to afford it with both kids.
Tags:tuition
Reply Up