Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Great Books!
SilverSabre25 08:39 AM 06-06-2012
Any genre, really. I'm not picky. And I love to learn.

Extra points if they're eBooks...even more extra points if they're eBooks I can get from the library!
Bookworm 05:30 PM 06-06-2012
The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child
The Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
The Prey series and the Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford
If you like horror, I totally recommend Stephen King
The Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffrey Deaver

If you want specific books I can give you those too.
Bookworm 05:31 PM 06-06-2012
By the way, the majority can be found as e-books.
Kiki 05:51 PM 06-06-2012
Not all of King's books are horror actually, most people think they are and usually stay away, but he really does have some that are fantastic, and not horror . Speaking of him though, if you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend The Eyes of the Dragon, def one of his better books, and an easier read for those who don't like his more..uh..gooey books.

Another series that you can read is the Fablehaven books.
My sister didn't really like them, she said they were too childish for her, but I really enjoyed them, and read the first one to my oldest DD, and she finished off the rest on her own. (She's 8, so that gives you an idea of how much of an easy read they are.)
Bookworm 07:41 PM 06-06-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
Not all of King's books are horror actually, most people think they are and usually stay away, but he really does have some that are fantastic, and not horror . Speaking of him though, if you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend The Eyes of the Dragon, def one of his better books, and an easier read for those who don't like his more..uh..gooey books.

Another series that you can read is the Fablehaven books.
My sister didn't really like them, she said they were too childish for her, but I really enjoyed them, and read the first one to my oldest DD, and she finished off the rest on her own. (She's 8, so that gives you an idea of how much of an easy read they are.)
I agree with you about Steven King. For excellent books that are not supernatural/horror, I recommend: Dolores Claiborne, Full Dark No Stars or 11/23/63. Try James Patterson as well. As far as Stephen King goes, I will read anything that isn't the Dark Tower series because I'm not into fantasy.
Kaddidle Care 03:53 AM 06-07-2012
An online friend wrote Scent of the Missing - it's about Search and Rescue dogs.

I enjoyed it and TNT may be making it a series. I've watch Puzzle (the cover girl) grow up over the years. She's a tad older than my Golden.

Susannah is currently working on another book as well.
Attached: ScentOfMissingCover.jpg (9.3 KB) 
Kiki 06:25 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I agree with you about Steven King. For excellent books that are not supernatural/horror, I recommend: Dolores Claiborne, Full Dark No Stars or 11/23/63. Try James Patterson as well. As far as Stephen King goes, I will read anything that isn't the Dark Tower series because I'm not into fantasy.
Dolores Claiborne is one of my favorites by him, I've read it multiple times. I have not however heard of the other two, I used to be an avid collector of his books, but my collecting slowed once I had my youngest DD. The Dark Tower series were good, but frustrating, I started them long before they were finished, and was very disappointed with the way he ended them. It is one of the only series I own that I will never re-read. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is also another great one for anyone out there looking to read something of his that isn't too horrible. Ok-enough on King, if I think of any other books for you to read I'll let you know!
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I am a huge Stephen King fan as well. Read Carrie when I was 8! My mom has always been a reader and I picke up her habits I guess. My mom read "It" in two days. (for anyone who doesn't know, "It" is a book at least 4 inches thick.)

I just read 11/23/63 not too long ago and LOVED it. One of the best books I have read in awhile. Great read for history buffs as well.

I don't care for the Dark Tower/Gunslinger series either. I just couldn't get into them and lost interst.

Dolores Claiborne is one of my favorites by him, I've read it multiple times. I have not however heard of the other two, I used to be an avid collector of his books, but my collecting slowed once I had my youngest DD. The Dark Tower series were good, but frustrating, I started them long before they were finished, and was very disappointed with the way he ended them. It is one of the only series I own that I will never re-read. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is also another great one for anyone out there looking to read something of his that isn't too horrible. Ok-enough on King, if I think of any other books for you to read I'll let you know!
I also like Deloris Caiborne and The Girl Who Love Tom GOrdon but have to say my all time favorites are Duma Key (fantastic read), Under the Dome, Hearts in Atlantis and The Regulators. I am really into his short stories as well, but the above are my FAVORITES. I rarely read a book twice but have read those more than once.

Probably NOT daycare.com forum appropriate and absolutely a pointless but VERY entertaining read is the "50 Shades of Grey" trilogy.
Not at all quality writing and very shallow but once you start reading, it is hard to put down.
Kiki 06:52 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Duma Key (fantastic read),The Regulators.

Probably NOT daycare.com forum appropriate and absolutely a pointless but VERY entertaining read is the "50 Shades of Grey" trilogy.
Not at all quality writing and very shallow but once you start reading, it is hard to put down.
Duma Key! Loved it! TBH-When DH first bought it for me, I couldn't get past the first chapter, so it sat on my bookshelf for about a year. I kicked myself after I picked it up again because it was a fantastic book. That is another that I've read several times. If you've read The Regulators, have you also read Desperation? The plots don't exactly tie together, but it gives you a tad more background on The Regulators.
Also, one last thing I love about King, is how his books are semi tied together in one way or another. You don't really notice it on your first read through them, but if you've ever re-read them, you'll say to yourself..'Hey! That person is from xx, how the heck did they get here?!'

I've heard about the 50 Shades from my mom, but I haven't heard anyone else suggest them, I'll have to check them out.

I haven't bought any new reads in quite some time as my favorite used book store here moved to Kanab, (a long, long, long ways away from me.) and I hate E-Readers, I have to have the book in my hand to be able to read!
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 06-07-2012
Duma Key! Loved it! TBH-When DH first bought it for me, I couldn't get past the first chapter, so it sat on my bookshelf for about a year. I kicked myself after I picked it up again because it was a fantastic book. That is another that I've read several times. If you've read The Regulators, have you also read Desperation? The plots don't exactly tie together, but it gives you a tad more background on The Regulators.
Also, one last thing I love about King, is how his books are semi tied together in one way or another. You don't really notice it on your first read through them, but if you've ever re-read them, you'll say to yourself..'Hey! That person is from xx, how the heck did they get here?!'

I've heard about the 50 Shades from my mom, but I haven't heard anyone else suggest them, I'll have to check them out.

I haven't bought any new reads in quite some time as my favorite used book store here moved to Kanab, (a long, long, long ways away from me.) and I hate E-Readers, I have to have the book in my hand to be able to read!
LOL!!! I got a Kindle a while back for Christmas but couldn't "like" it as I too, NEED to feel the book in my hands. So glad to hear someone else feels the same way and it isn't just me.

Yes, I have read every Stephen King book written except the Dark Tower series as I made it past the first one and knew it wasn't a series for me. I have noticed that he has characters and places and sometimes events that are from another book and I really like that. It helps with that feeling of sadness you have when a good book ends. Atleast with King books you get a feeling you are visiting an old friend/place.

I won't watch the movies though that are based on his books as I feel that the "scare factor" you get from his books are different for everyone and the bad "characters" or villians from his books aren't always visual beings that can be seen/heard or felt....kwim? The movies are ALWAYS a let down so I don't bother.

I read a lot of true crime. Ann Rule is my favorite. I also read a lot of John Grisham and other similar authors. I love Stuart Woods and Janet Evanovich too. I will basically read whatever peaks my interest and looks interesting. Sometimes just fluffy entertainment and other times very deep.

I tend to stay away from self-help type books and those that are marketed as "spiritual" or "motivational" as I find them to be commercial and shallow and only pertaining to the author...kwim?

Oh and if I will laugh out loud and be entertained, I will read it....I laughed outloud alot while reading all of Chelsea Handler's books. Not a very classy lady but a VERY funny lady!
Bookworm 01:28 PM 06-07-2012
Loved Duma Key as well. My favorite though is The Stand. I must have read it at least 8 times. His book Full Dark, No Stars has 4 novellas that are fabulous. If you really like Thrillers try Twisted vol. 1 & 2 by Jeffrey Deaver. Every story is amazing.
MyAngels 08:06 PM 06-08-2012
I recently read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larson, and enjoyed them.

My favorite series books are the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly and the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series by Robert Crais.
Bookworm 02:01 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I recently read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larson, and enjoyed them.

My favorite series books are the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly and the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series by Robert Crais.
Loved the Dragon tattoo trilogy. The movies are very good if you can get past a certain scene in the first one.
MissK 01:14 PM 06-13-2012
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle! lol I'll admit that I haven't read or even touched an actual book since I got it last Black Friday Now for the books:

I've been stuck on the Sookie Stackhouse books. I haven't watched any True Blood yet, I want to get a little farther into the series before I even watch the first season

Right now I'm reading Abducted by T.R.Ragan and really liking it

Hunger Games was great - loved it

The Seer Series and Dead Girl Series by Linda Joy Singleton were a good read

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

There are more but thats all I have for you right now
bunnyslippers 12:27 PM 06-23-2012
I am an avid reader - can't get enough!

Some great GREAT books:
"We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shrever
"Defending Jacob" by William Landry
"Guilty Wives" James Patterson
"These Things Hidden" Heather Gudenkauf
"What they do in the Dark" Amanda Coe
"Testimony: A Novel" Anita Shreve
"Firefly Lane" Kristin Hannah

These are just a few of my faves...I swear I read a book a day...I welcome any suggestions, as I read things WAY too fast!!!!
BumbleBee 03:06 PM 06-23-2012
"The Elephant in the Playroom"
"Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers"
"Walden Two"
"How Doctors Think"
"The Greatest Generation"
"Moonwalking with Einstein"
"A Briefer History of Time"
Bookworm 08:44 PM 06-24-2012
I loved "We Need To Talk About Kevin". The movie will tear you apart. Try Harlan Cobin and Dennis Lehane.
jeccyka 11:44 PM 07-05-2012
Books vs E-booke, which one is impoatant?

For me, i prefer to books, though e-book is much convenient to carry. So what about you?
momofsix 04:58 AM 07-06-2012
I just read Sarah's Key. Very good book.
Bookworm 01:53 PM 07-10-2012
Originally Posted by jeccyka:
Books vs E-booke, which one is impoatant?

For me, i prefer to books, though e-book is much convenient to carry. So what about you?
I feel the same way. I get both from the library and the wait for the e-book is usually not as long as a physical book.
Tags:book suggestions
Reply Up