Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picky Eaters
sahm2three 08:45 AM 01-10-2011
I just can't believe how picky some of these kids are! I am speaking right now of my crazy 2 year old today. It is weird. One day he can't get enough of something for snack, we have it a few days later and he won't eat it and says Yuck! What the heck?! Today he is hungry, but won't eat our snack (pretzels and cottage cheese and V8 Fusion). Usually he LOVES this snack. Today it is yucky apparently. I guess I will just listen to him complain all morning until lunch because he is starving?!
laundrymom 08:51 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I just can't believe how picky some of these kids are! I am speaking right now of my crazy 2 year old today. It is weird. One day he can't get enough of something for snack, we have it a few days later and he won't eat it and says Yuck! What the heck?! Today he is hungry, but won't eat our snack (pretzels and cottage cheese and V8 Fusion). Usually he LOVES this snack. Today it is yucky apparently. I guess I will just listen to him complain all morning until lunch because he is starving?!
I dont have picky eaters here. Either they eat what I have or are hungry. I have 3 hours between meals so they decide early on that eating their 'not favorites' is easier than being hungry.
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 01-10-2011
Probably not a picky eater problem...sounds more of a two year old and control issue problem. Almost all my 2 yr olds are just like that. It is almost like having multiple personalities... I just offer whatever foods for snacks and lunches and if they choose not to eat..oh, well not my problem because it is their choice. I have found the less attention I give this type of behavior the better because I am NOT making different things for different kids.....As my daycare kids would say, "You get what you get and you don't have a fit." I feel for you though if he complains all day about being hungry...that is hard to listen to.
sahm2three 09:10 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Probably not a picky eater problem...sounds more of a two year old and control issue problem. Almost all my 2 yr olds are just like that. It is almost like having multiple personalities... I just offer whatever foods for snacks and lunches and if they choose not to eat..oh, well not my problem because it is their choice. I have found the less attention I give this type of behavior the better because I am NOT making different things for different kids.....As my daycare kids would say, "You get what you get and you don't have a fit." I feel for you though if he complains all day about being hungry...that is hard to listen to.

I have the same rule. You get what you get and don't throw a fit. They don't get a choice. They get what I am serving. Doesn't change the fact that I am going to end up listening to said 2 year old whine until lunch! UGH!
QualiTcare 09:28 AM 01-10-2011
maybe he says "yucky" because he's actually just not hungry. he doesn't know how to say, "i ate a lot this morning" so he says "yucky" to say he doesn't want to eat. that doesn't mean he doesn't like it.

then his food probably wears off and he's hungry before lunch time rolls around. it happens. oh well, it's not like he'll STARVE if he had breakfast. if you really think he's hungry, you could offer him a couple pretzels. he'll eat them if he's hungry.
SilverSabre25 09:32 AM 01-10-2011
I also think it sounds like a Typical Two behavior. Some kids are more "Feast or Famine" than others, and will eat like horses for a few days and then eat practically nothing for a few. He might surprise you and not whine--he might be legitimately not hungry today.
E Daycare 10:14 AM 01-10-2011
My new dcb seems to be picky too. I asked his mom "anything he doesnt eat?" and shes assured me no but whatever I offer for lunch (today was bbq grilled chicken, rice with peas and an orange) and he ate none of it but insead said "snack snack". I pointed, said "lunch is right here and its yummy!" and he just shook his head. So I offered but its his choice to eat or not and will have to wait till 3pm snack then. I bet he scrafs some crackers then. My own kid on the other ate all his lunch and wouldve gladly ate the dcb lunch too Im sure lol. I make no exceptions here for lunch as I make none for my son at lunch and dinner.

Then again I dont serve spaghetti O's and cheez-its. I think thats really the problem on my end.
ddnanny13 12:11 PM 01-10-2011
I don't make different things either. If they choose not to eat it then they go hungry. If they continue to whine then they can eat what they left before. I have one dcb who refuses to eat ANY and i mean ANY veggies, so I started giving him only that until he ate them. He saw all the other kids had other yummy food and all he had was a bowl of peas. He was mad of course but eventually he ate them. Had an issue with another one that who pick at her food all through lunch and barely eat anything. Then an hour later was absolutely starving. She got the same plate of food that she hadn't touched before, got mad, threw it at me, got it taken away, then was served it again at snack. I told her that she will not get treats until she eats the real food, otherwise she just waits until snack and snarfs crackers and juice....
SilverSabre25 03:54 PM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:

Then again I dont serve spaghetti O's and cheez-its. I think thats really the problem on my end.
Ah yes, mine as well. Don't worry; you're not alone!
Live and Learn 04:01 PM 01-10-2011
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
If he doesn't eat snack he will eat lunch!
sahm2three 04:10 PM 01-10-2011
Well, said 2 year old didn't eat anything today. Maybe cutting 2 year molars? Was acting normal besides not eating. So I guess I just won't worry about it!
SandeeAR 11:34 AM 01-11-2011
I have a now 2.5 y/o, that went thru about 3 weeks of VERY pickiness. Turnned her nose up at things she had always eaten. Mom and I were on the same page. She was served breakfast, a timer was set for 30 min. At 30 min, she got up,period. (I don't serve a morning snack, as she won't eat lunch when I do).

Lunch time, lunch set out with the 30 min. timer. It goes off, she got up and went to nap. She didn't eat lunch, no afternoon snack. She would eat that night at dinner! If she didn't eat dinner one night, you could guarantee, she would eat breakfast.

This lasted about 3-4 weeks and she started eating regular again. It passed.
Tags:picky eater, won't eat
Reply Up