Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible Unexpected Opening
littlemommy 07:50 AM 08-04-2011
I really need to start keeping phone numbers of people that call. I just filled 2 full time spots this week. This morning at drop off, the mom of my really cranky 10 month old (the hardest kid I have) told me that he won't be here the next 2 weeks but that she would still pay me. She then said that he may be leaving, that she may be moving 2 hours away for school.

I wouldn't be too heartbroken about this boy leaving. I've had him 2.5 months and he has shown no improvement. I'm a little upset that I have turned away so many infant openings because I only wanted one infant since he is more high needs! I need to start keeping phone numbers of anyone that calls!!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:05 AM 08-04-2011
I know that feeling! I turned away 3 families about 2 months ago and last month one of my daycare moms said she is putting in her notice because the kids dad isn't working much and she can't afford it. By then the 3 families I turned down found someone else.

In a way it's been less crazy without them, but financially it's hard.
littlemommy 08:30 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I know that feeling! I turned away 3 families about 2 months ago and last month one of my daycare moms said she is putting in her notice because the kids dad isn't working much and she can't afford it. By then the 3 families I turned down found someone else.

In a way it's been less crazy without them, but financially it's hard.
That would be extra tough losing the income from 2 kids! I bet we'll both start saving names and numbers!!
cheerfuldom 10:07 AM 08-04-2011
i bet she is using the 2 weeks to find another childcare provider, whether they move or not. Thats just been my experience with "oh we are taking some time off but by the way, he might not be here long term". i would start advertising now and make a deadline for her to tell you yes or no on the move. it might be a good opportunity to replace him anyway since he is so cranky.
littlemommy 10:55 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
i bet she is using the 2 weeks to find another childcare provider, whether they move or not. Thats just been my experience with "oh we are taking some time off but by the way, he might not be here long term". i would start advertising now and make a deadline for her to tell you yes or no on the move. it might be a good opportunity to replace him anyway since he is so cranky.
Them leaving anyways did cross my mind. This is the first time he has ever been in daycare, and she has major trust issues. She is also having money problems, so that may be an issue, too.

She said she is making a decision in those 2 weeks, so I'm going to advertise!
grandmom 03:21 PM 08-04-2011
I keep a record of almost every call I get. The same paper then includes notes from the interview. Got me out of hot water with my licensor once when I could produce such efficient records about a parent who complained.

I also search back through them when someone calls and says: oh yeah, we talked a few months ago. I find the page, and then impress them when I call their child by name or something like that.
littlemommy 06:38 AM 08-05-2011
This may actually work out great. At pick-up, she said she won't be leaving until the next school semester. I am due in the middle of January, so this will give me a break of one less kid after maternity leave! Then I can fill that spot when I feel comfortable.
erinalexmom 09:57 AM 08-05-2011
Sounds like it all worked out. Good for you
mom2many 10:43 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I keep a record of almost every call I get. The same paper then includes notes from the interview. Got me out of hot water with my licensor once when I could produce such efficient records about a parent who complained.

I also search back through them when someone calls and says: oh yeah, we talked a few months ago. I find the page, and then impress them when I call their child by name or something like that.
This is a great idea that I need to implement! I usually don't have many openings, but recently I did misplace the number from a former dcm, who had called about openings for her twins. Her cell and home had both changed, since I had watched her older daughter 4 years ago, so I had to ask a mutual friend for her number.

I like the idea of keeping notes too...I have such a bad memory at times!
Tags:filling spots, infant care, openings, spot - infant
Reply Up