Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pleeeaase Heeelp............
tenderhearts 09:11 AM 01-03-2011
with 11 mo olds napping....again.....I had issues before with him, and with the suggestion of others here I made sure his naps were kept the same time and made sure he stayed in there the duration of the nap(check he's not wet ect) even if he woke, and for the last 3 mo he's been doing that and actually was sleeping the whole time. Weeelll now that his schedule has been screwed up the last 2 weeks (he was only here 2 days each week the last 2 weeks) he is now crying when I lay him down he never has done that before and only sleeping 30 - 40 min for both naps. He is tired, I know he is. His mom said his napping and bedtimes were all thrown off, he's waking again at night which he hasn't for the last 2 mo. So my question, do I leave him in there again to cry it out for the 1 1/2 morning and 2 hours in afternoon IF everything is ok????? OR could he be ready for 1 nap???? He'll be 1 on jan 13, seems really young for 1 nap. These 30 -40 min naps are killing me, he gets so fussy......Please advise......
Live and Learn 09:17 AM 01-03-2011
No way would I go to one nap!
If he were here I would keep him on the same schedule as before.... keep him in the pnp for the duration of nap. It will be better in a few days. Good Luck.
Cat Herder 09:18 AM 01-03-2011
It starts over, everytime after the breaks. Sorry, hun... Hope it goes faster for you this time...

My last one just went down, took him 20 minutes... The holidays throw everyone off a bit.
Unregistered 09:19 AM 01-03-2011
What I do with infants/toddlers is when they are 3 months to 6 months they nap 3 times here, when they are 6 months to 12 months they nap twice, and 12 months and up they nap 1 so you might wanna try one nap in the afternoon with the others and see if that helps. I would leave him in the playpen during the afternoon nap he needs to learn to sleep he needs that 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon.
mickey2 09:28 AM 01-03-2011
Its a retraining process anytime the little ones are not in our care for any length of time. Stick to your rules and do what was working before the break! Good Luck! It will work out if you persist! :-)
mickey2 09:32 AM 01-03-2011
I too am dreading tomorrow! I have a 12 month old very spoiled little guy who just happens to be my grandson as well. :-) He has been away for almost 2 weeks except for a couple of visits during the holidays! His mommy carries him around all of the time. She can't even pee without him watching her! Oh well back to what I call "Baby Boot Camp" for another week or so for granny's little boy!! I'll fix him back up in no time! LOL
Gurdy 09:40 AM 01-03-2011
The reason he is waking at night is because his schedule is so off. Get him back on that schedule. It always cracks me up when parents suggest cutting down or back on naps so the child will sleep better at night. In my experience kids that take good quality naps during the day get much better sleep at night. It will just take a little time to get him back in the swing if things.
countrymom 09:42 AM 01-03-2011
I would leave him in the pnp for the duration of the nap, if you keep picking up he won't figure out how to put himself back to sleep.
tenderhearts 10:11 AM 01-03-2011
Thanks everyone, usually it's a piece of cake with the 2 -4 year olds, they go down easily and sleep extra long. Well I redid what I did before and let him cry, but every time I went in there he cried harder, it's almost better if I don't. I know that when mom and dad were doing the crying it out, dad went in instead of mom since she's the "food sourse", I mean I'm not other than a bottle. Anyways he cried for 35 min, off and on, harder at times, well after checking on him the last time, he finally was quiet, so I waited 3 min before going in there just to be sure, well he was asleep BUT he vomited from the crying I'm sure, so I did't want him to wake but I also didn't want him laying in it either so I tried to cover it with a blanket because it was on the other side of the pnp but no noise but he woke up, got him up and he was really fussy for the first 15 min, wouldn't let me put him down. I've never had a child throw up from crying too hard or too much, now I'm scared to let him cry it out. Geeez....I hate but love vacations.
mickey2 01:05 PM 01-03-2011
I do let them cry but I go back every 5 minutes or so. I do not pick them up. I do no talking or even make eye contact. I just gently lie them back down, cover them back up and leave. Repeat, repeat as often as you have to until they are asleep. Sometimes it takes up to one hour or more. I know it is difficult & time consuming to do but it's only for a few days and definitely worth it in the end once you have a houseful of sleeping little ones. :-)
tenderhearts 01:15 PM 01-03-2011
He cries waaaaay harder and longer each time I go in there that's what makes it harder.
mickey2 02:30 PM 01-03-2011
The reason I check every 5 minutes or so is because I used to have a little one who power puked! She would be put down for a very much needed nap at 12 months old and she would lose it! She would cry, scream, jump up and down in the pack n play and then power puke as this would get her way with mom and dad at home. I had to break her of this because she had learned if she made herself sick then the cleanup and cuddles would get her up. I swear she was literally the girl in the first Exorcist movie. I was waiting for her head to "spin" The first time she did this to me I freaked until I told mom and mom said Oh she did that to you too? LOL

She was my very first daycare child 5 years ago and is now 6 in school and very close to me and my husband. She is still here at least one or two times a week as she asks to visit her "auntie" I love her so much! The thing is sometimes little ones do whatever it takes to get their own way. We as the adult have to be "strong" and not give in. It really is a struggle but in the end it is worth it.
tenderhearts 03:38 PM 01-03-2011
Thanks again, I love it when we have kids that long. Did it make her cry harder too each time you went in there? See with him I noticed that he'll be fussing, not crying hard and when I "peek" on him he'll at least be sitting or lying down, BUT the second I go in there he stands and starts the whole thing all over, that's why I thought if I peeked on him he'd settle down sooner. thanks again.
mickey2 03:47 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Thanks again, I love it when we have kids that long. Did it make her cry harder too each time you went in there? See with him I noticed that he'll be fussing, not crying hard and when I "peek" on him he'll at least be sitting or lying down, BUT the second I go in there he stands and starts the whole thing all over, that's why I thought if I peeked on him he'd settle down sooner. thanks again.

If just fussing leave him be, he is starting to settle if he is not screaming or crying that loudly. If screaming or crying loudly I would go in, immediately lie him back down, cover him up and leave. I am doing the very same thing with my grandson right now.

Yes I do love it when I have kids that long. All of mine have been with me now forever!! Its great!
marniewon 04:07 PM 01-03-2011
I had one that would do the very same thing - scream during nap, and if I peeked in on him, would scream louder. If I went in to lay him back down he was standing back up before I even got to the door, 2 feet away. I gave up even going in there. Before nap I would make sure he ate well and had a fresh diaper. No need to go in every 2 minutes to make sure he's okay when he's really just angry and wants to scream. Drove me crazy.
mickey2 04:43 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I had one that would do the very same thing - scream during nap, and if I peeked in on him, would scream louder. If I went in to lay him back down he was standing back up before I even got to the door, 2 feet away. I gave up even going in there. Before nap I would make sure he ate well and had a fresh diaper. No need to go in every 2 minutes to make sure he's okay when he's really just angry and wants to scream. Drove me crazy.
Exactly! The child is just upset and trying to get his way but I still need to go in and check every 5 minutes or so to be sure they really are okay. Imagine if you did not check because he is "quiet" and you do not want to disturb him or set him off again and there really is a problem. Could be a 1 out of 100 chance but sorry, not on my watch is anything ever going to happen to a child in my care if I can help it! I check OFTEN! I have had babies for 30 years now and they never cease to amaze me in what they can actually get into (or out of!) I do a walk around and go right up to each child's face every 10-15 minutes every single day during nap time.
With children you never know. Anything can happen to them. I don't give up. Nap time is nap time and if I have to lie them back down 200 times then I will do it. The next day it may be 150 times and then the next down to 100. Eventually they will get the message and go to sleep and I will have my rest.
ninosqueridos 05:03 PM 01-03-2011
I'd probably try one nap right in the middle of the current two naptimes...... And then slooooowly move the one naptime to the same time that everyone else sleeps in the afternoon. I have one the same age........and he screams loudly if I go back in. I just put the video monitor on him so I don't need to go back in all the time.

I find that lately, if I put him down an hour later (one 11:30 nap instead of 10/10:30 & 1:30/2 naps), he will go down easier, not cry as much, and have a better attitude in the afternoon. He is not totally consistent yet - sometimes I still sneak in a 2nd nap if he needs one.......but most of the time he will sleep a solid 2-3 hours and then he's up until a 5:30 pick up when he falls asleep for a catnap on the way home.

HTH
marniewon 09:31 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
Exactly! The child is just upset and trying to get his way but I still need to go in and check every 5 minutes or so to be sure they really are okay. Imagine if you did not check because he is "quiet" and you do not want to disturb him or set him off again and there really is a problem. Could be a 1 out of 100 chance but sorry, not on my watch is anything ever going to happen to a child in my care if I can help it! I check OFTEN! I have had babies for 30 years now and they never cease to amaze me in what they can actually get into (or out of!) I do a walk around and go right up to each child's face every 10-15 minutes every single day during nap time.
With children you never know. Anything can happen to them. I don't give up. Nap time is nap time and if I have to lie them back down 200 times then I will do it. The next day it may be 150 times and then the next down to 100. Eventually they will get the message and go to sleep and I will have my rest.
Yes, I wrestled with that too - anything can happen and I would be more apt to check on him once he was quiet. I actually thought of getting a camera for this one, so I could see him without opening the door. Unless I waited until he was asleep (and no way to tell if he was asleep or just being quiet) to go in to check on him, he would be up and screaming if I walked in there.
tenderhearts 07:11 AM 01-04-2011
Thanks, I'm the same way, I check on the babies frequently while they are napping, it is something that really scares me, so whenever they do stop crying I go right in there to be sure everything it ok,and check on them about every 15 min during their nap time, it's just when he's fussing and I go in there he just gets much louder and harder and same thing he's standing the second he hears the door.
So if he is a puker from crying that just disrupts the whole nap, he'll learn quickly that will get him out of nap time wont it?
I'd try to give him one nap but there is NO WAY he could wait that long, he doesn't sleep through the night, I think he wakes 1-2 x again (he was sleeping through for about 2 mo), and he's awake anywhere from 4:30am -5:30am, plus if I give him a nap earlier then he'll be awake during all the other kids quiet/nap times, then it will be loud and no one will sleep.
I sure hope he'll adjust back to the schedule soon, is an hour long enough for an am nap or do you guys do longer am naps? He gets here at 7am and I put him down for am nap at 8:30, he was consistantly sleeping until 10 until now after xmas break. Then afternoon nap he goes down about 1:-1:15 and was sleeping until about 2:45 until after xmas break it's been 2:00 he wakes up.
thanks everyone.
tenderhearts 08:57 AM 01-07-2011
Weeelllll, baby was gone for a couple days because he was sick, then grandma watches him on thursdays. So he's back again today, same thing, off and on fussing now for an hour, this is ridiculous. He was showing signs of being tired since he arrived here right before 7am, he was getting really fussy right about the time I normally put him down, but he wont go to sleep, I just don't get it, mom said he's been napping fine for both naps WHAT???
So here's my question if I let him cry/fuss is really what he's doing not really crying, for the 1 & 1/2 what IF he falls alseep right before that? Do I let him sleep? but then that will ruin when he normally goes down for his afternoon nap or do I wake him up at the normal time and hope he's not fussy. This is such a terrible day because I dont' feel well on top of it and the other baby was fussy this morning and had a HUGE blowout so that was fun to clean up.....and my day has barely started...
The going to one nap seems like maybe the way to go if he's not going to go to sleep BUT he is tired this is so nerve wracking.

Oh and if he's been in there fussying for the hour and a half and hasn't fallen asleep if I get him up wont he think he can just cry and eventually I will go get him???? But if I leave him in there then he's going to be off later..
mickey2 10:19 AM 01-07-2011
My just turned 12 month old grandson is screaming his head off right now as I write this. Both my 3 year olds & my 23 month old have been sleeping for about 10 minutes now and my 18 month old is still playing and talking to herself in her pack n play. She will fall asleep within the next few minutes, she always does now.

She screamed at first sometimes for almost an hour before she gave up when she first came to me at about 11 months of age but has gotten over it now.

My grandson? Well it is going to take some time and he WILL learn that nap time is nap time! I don't care if I have to go in every 5 minutes and lie him down 200 times everyday until he gets it!! I WILL have peace and ALL will be sleeping soon! This week when he screams and I go in, he stops for about 10 minutes before he starts again. He IS learning and so will your little guy. Hang in there. I am sure it will get better if you are determined and patient. I know it is hard listening to a baby crying like that but it is worth it to be firm at nap time! I know that come Monday I will have to go in more often as he will try again, but I am the one who is going to win! I always do!

lvt77 10:25 AM 01-07-2011
Is he teething??
tenderhearts 10:34 AM 01-07-2011
I suppose he could be but usually he drools like crazy and he isn't. This has been going on for a long time, but with what others said on here letting him cry the duration of his nap, he was finally napping fairly decent UNTIL he came back from christmas break.
lvt77 10:41 AM 01-07-2011
I have had this same issue with all of my DCK of all ages.... Christmas messed everyone up...lol All routines were out of sorts and now trying to get everyone back in..
I do this with little my 10month DCB. I lay down on schedule, if he cries I wait 5 min and let cry, go in cover him up and say good night, leave...now wait 10 min...then 15 more, then 15 more and so forth going in doing the same thing. Eventually after 25 min or so he's out...I casn't stand to hear a baby cry...it breaks my heart.....and my ears....lol

Hang in there....it will get better...
tenderhearts 12:41 PM 01-07-2011
Thanks, that's what I've pretty much have been doing, now this morning at 10 after him in there an hour and a half I got him up, I put him back down at 1 and he is crying again, not really crying but whining, it's going on almost 30 min, I know he's tired. Mom told me he's been napping fine at home, Im starting to doubt that, he always napped better here.
lvt77 12:48 PM 01-07-2011
just hang in there and do what you have to do to get him back on schedule...I know its frustrating, but its what happens this time of year after breaks..
tenderhearts 01:49 PM 01-07-2011
It's just really frustrating because I really like his parents, BUT they do not keep him on any kind of a scheule at all so the 4 days he's here he is well he was. They go out of town almost every weekend so he's not even sleeping in his own room or anything. Plus I know they don't to the crying it out thing, well they were and he was doing very well. So now I'm even wondering if the going to one nap will even do anything since he's been in there for now 1 hour and 15 min and still not asleep and this is after no nap this morning.
He's not crying he's whining, he stops for about 5 or 7 min then he whines for maybe 2 stops again for 5 min then whines for about another minute or 2.
Will this get better? or is it going to get worse the older he gets? He's fussy when he's awake too, not terribly but definetly not like when he was napping.

What and how do you mention this to a parent? I mean she has said to me before that I know you need your break ect. and I never really have said much because he at least napped, but these last 2 weeks that he's only been here a few times these days have been terrible with today being the worse. So what do you say, I really like them and I dont' want them to take it the wrong way but this is ridiculous. I dont' want to term yet anyways. I know he was sick a couple days but she told me he has been fine the last 3 days and so she claims he napped well. He did have a pretty runny diaper but she said they think it's that way since he really has only had breastmilk since he was sick, not alot of solids, I dont' know.
So how long do I leave him in there for????? Until his mom picks up. just kidding but I know he's tired.
thanks
lvt77 01:56 PM 01-07-2011
has be been coming less days? is his attendace still the same?

I had a 13 m DCG who was not taking naps at nap time keeping all of the other kids awake with her crying. I told the parents that they needed to help me get her on a schedule because she was keeping all of the other kids awake. I explained that Sleep is a major requirement for good health, and for young kids to get enough of it, some daytime sleep is needed. Crucial physical and mental development occurs in early childhood, and naps provide much-needed downtime for growth and rejuvenation.
Naps also help keep kids from becoming overtired, which not only takes a toll on their moods but may also make it harder for them to fall asleep at night. So that all DCK had to nap during napping hours. I told them we had to work on it together, they agreed....
momma2girls 02:01 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
with 11 mo olds napping....again.....I had issues before with him, and with the suggestion of others here I made sure his naps were kept the same time and made sure he stayed in there the duration of the nap(check he's not wet ect) even if he woke, and for the last 3 mo he's been doing that and actually was sleeping the whole time. Weeelll now that his schedule has been screwed up the last 2 weeks (he was only here 2 days each week the last 2 weeks) he is now crying when I lay him down he never has done that before and only sleeping 30 - 40 min for both naps. He is tired, I know he is. His mom said his napping and bedtimes were all thrown off, he's waking again at night which he hasn't for the last 2 mo. So my question, do I leave him in there again to cry it out for the 1 1/2 morning and 2 hours in afternoon IF everything is ok????? OR could he be ready for 1 nap???? He'll be 1 on jan 13, seems really young for 1 nap. These 30 -40 min naps are killing me, he gets so fussy......Please advise......
I just had a Mom tell me that her 14 month old, only took an afternoon nap. HA!! The first day was ****!!! OMG!!! SHe was rubbing her eyes and screaming, following me around 10 min. after Mom left. They definately still need to have 2 naps, no matter what!!!
tenderhearts 02:02 PM 01-07-2011
He was coming less days (2 days in the week) during christmas break (dad is a school teacher), then this week he was to return the normal 4 days but he got sick tues and he came back today, but his mom called me wed and said he was fine and back to normal, so I don't get it, is he just all thrown off? he's never been this hard to go down, actually he has never ever cried when I put him down, he would always fall asleep but I had trouble with him napping for only 30 min and he'd wake up then he was extremely fussy the rest of the time until next nap, so that's when others on here mentioned the leaving him in there for the "full nap" even if he's crying or whatever, I did that and it worked he was napping good again, not great on some days but heck I'll take an hour over no nap.
I'm just worried he wont adjust and it will get worse.
lvt77 02:06 PM 01-07-2011
he could still be getting over being sick..
my sick policy states that even if a doctor or parent feels that it is ok for the child to come back that I have the final say in it...the child has to be comfortable and able to participate as normal. He may NOT still be feeling well and needs more TLC that he should get from home. Its not fair to the other children if one child requires more time than usual, leaving the other feeling negelcted,,,,
tenderhearts 02:56 PM 01-07-2011
That's kind of what I was thinking that maybe he isnt' still feeling up to par, but he's acting normal during waking for the most part. He was clingy after I got him up after his first no sleep nap, he wouldn't let me put him down, but he has always been like that after even a normal nap, he likes to sit on my lap for maybe 10 min before he'll go play, he got a little fussy off and on but you could so tell you he was tired, he had dark circles under his eyes, yawning non stop, rubbing eyes.
Well after the 50th time going in there and laying him back down he finally fell asleep, here's the thing he's not crying, he's just whining, no tears. All I have to say is I hope next week is better, this afternoon I'm now feeling like my stomach is upset, less than an hour with the one and less than 2 with the other.
Tags:adapting, napping, sleep problems, transitioning
Reply Up