Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Effective For Age?
WImom 12:40 PM 04-07-2011
DCG will be 4y this month and lately has been taking forever to do stuff (always has but it's worse lately). So today after nap she refused to pick up her nap time bin and had it spread out all over. I gave her a few reminders about needing to clean up, go potty and have snack. Afer 30 minutes I set the timer for 5minutes and told her tomorrow she wouldn't get to use the quiet bins if she wasn't done picking up.

She wasn't near done of course. So tomorrow I will just give her books to look at. Will that be effective for her to remember since it was the day before at her age?

should I have done something different?

(she's the same one I've posted about that takes 20 min. playing around in the bathroom. I nolonger wait for her for storytime before nap and she always goes last for potty breaks but she doesn't seem to care).
daycare 12:43 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
DCG will be 4y this month and lately has been taking forever to do stuff (always has but it's worse lately). So today after nap she refused to pick up her nap time bin and had it spread out all over. I gave her a few reminders about needing to clean up, go potty and have snack. Afer 30 minutes I set the timer for 5minutes and told her tomorrow she wouldn't get to use the quiet bins if she wasn't done picking up.

She wasn't near done of course. So tomorrow I will just give her books to look at. Will that be effective for her to remember since it was the day before at her age?

should I have done something different?

(she's the same one I've posted about that takes 20 min. playing around in the bathroom. I nolonger wait for her for storytime before nap and she always goes last for potty breaks but she doesn't seem to care).
I was always told that the punishment or consequences had to be immediate for all children/teenagers.
WImom 12:46 PM 04-07-2011
ideas then? She would miss snack if she wasn't ready? I'd hate to use that though.
daycare 01:01 PM 04-07-2011
She goes to snack and you leave it there for her to pick up right after snack. The timer worked for me, but I know some kids are different.

Don't allow for her to move on with her day until the nap mat is cleaned up. So if she takes until mommy comes, let her. Right before mom comes to puck up assist her in putting it away.

Or you can assist her from the start just don't do it for her.
WImom 05:39 PM 04-07-2011
I'll probably just have to assist. Mom comes soon after snack and they have trouble leaving as it is so she'd use it to delay.
morgan24 02:50 AM 04-08-2011
Make it her choice either pick up in a timely manner or miss snack with the other kids. Give her snack when she is done and if Mom shows up before she's done, send it home with her.
Tags:age appropriate, age appropriate - punishment, punishment, punishment - age appropriate
Reply Up