Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Report Parents That Do Not Pay
sonshine 07:05 AM 06-28-2012
Does anyone know of a website that allows you to post the families that do not pay their balance before moving on to another school/daycare?
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 06-28-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now
SunshineMama 08:41 AM 06-28-2012
I dont know of one but it sounds like a very good idea!
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 06-28-2012
Here is one. I think it costs to list on it though....

http://www.providerwatch.com/v2/
Meeko 10:45 AM 06-28-2012
Providerwatch and daycareshare.

My husband is working on a web site that is similar, but is more of a reference thing.

For instance...I have been to day care meetings where providers have complained about a certain family's rudeness, etc.....only to realise they are talking about the same family after a while!!! In other words...they both got a taste of a day care hopping family. They wish they has gotten a heads up!

Providerwatch etc only deal with the MONEY aspect...and lets face it...sometimes that's not the only problem.

Hubby's web site will allow providers to have an account. They will enter their information and then the name of their client/former client.

For example.......you interview "Ann". She seems nice enough. Kids are nice too. Before signing up, you put her name in the web site. A hit shows that "Sara" was her day care provider in another town and so was "Jill". There is no information about Ann on the website other than her name. Sara and Jill's phone numbers are available and you call. Turns out Ann is a pain in the rear. She's great at interview, but doesn't follow policies at all and although she pays on time, she makes life hard. It is then up to you to decide whether to take her or not after two bad references.

You also call about "Sue" and her previous providers can tell you she seems reserved on the surface, but that you will love her and her kids forever and that they were sad to see her go.

Because only the PROVIDERS name and number come up from a search, the parent's privacy is covered and all you are doing is calling her past providers for a reference.

It's a work in progress..hubby wants to cover all legal aspects.....before we go "live".

Parents can expect to get references from us and can check up on us through state agencies etc. Why shouldn't we have the same resources?
Blackcat31 10:59 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Providerwatch and daycareshare.

My husband is working on a web site that is similar, but is more of a reference thing.

For instance...I have been to day care meetings where providers have complained about a certain family's rudeness, etc.....only to realise they are talking about the same family after a while!!! In other words...they both got a taste of a day care hopping family. They wish they has gotten a heads up!

Providerwatch etc only deal with the MONEY aspect...and lets face it...sometimes that's not the only problem.

Hubby's web site will allow providers to have an account. They will enter their information and then the name of their client/former client.

For example.......you interview "Ann". She seems nice enough. Kids are nice too. Before signing up, you put her name in the web site. A hit shows that "Sara" was her day care provider in another town and so was "Jill". There is no information about Ann on the website other than her name. Sara and Jill's phone numbers are available and you call. Turns out Ann is a pain in the rear. She's great at interview, but doesn't follow policies at all and although she pays on time, she makes life hard. It is then up to you to decide whether to take her or not after two bad references.

You also call about "Sue" and her previous providers can tell you she seems reserved on the surface, but that you will love her and her kids forever and that they were sad to see her go.

Because only the PROVIDERS name and number come up from a search, the parent's privacy is covered and all you are doing is calling her past providers for a reference.

It's a work in progress..hubby wants to cover all legal aspects.....before we go "live".

Parents can expect to get references from us and can check up on us through state agencies etc. Why shouldn't we have the same resources?
That is a great idea Meeko, but boy, I sure would want to know about the legal liabilities involved here as anything I say to another provider about a family other than yes they attended and yes they left is a major breech of confidentiality.

Our licensor has covered this many times in our trainings and said, we can never ever say anything other than to verify enrollment and that the parent left or is no longer in our care. Anything else, we can be sued for.

I completely get where you are coming from with the idea that parents have a right to "check" us out so why shouldn't we but really we have no right to because we aren't really buying anything from the parent and the parent isn't "governed" by the state's regulations and policies or licensing in anyway...kwim?

I was told we have a right to check credit on a parent (with their consent) but nothing else. Maybe your DH will have to find a way to have parents consent to being put on that site if something were to go astray with their provider.

Besides, some parents that were one providers worst nightmare have been one of my golden parents so I am not too sure that professionally I would want to participate in something someone might perceive as "parent bashing" site.

TOTALLY NOT saying that is what it is, but we all know the gap between providers and parents when understanding the way child care works.
Meeko 11:05 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is a great idea Meeko, but boy, I sure would want to know about the legal liabilities involved here as anything I say to another provider about a family other than yes they attended and yes they left is a major breech of confidentiality.

Our licensor has covered this many times in our trainings and said, we can never ever say anything other than to verify enrollment and that the parent left or is no longer in our care. Anything else, we can be sued for.

I completely get where you are coming from with the idea that parents have a right to "check" us out so why shouldn't we but really we have no right to because we aren't really buying anything from the parent and the parent isn't "governed" by the state's regulations and policies or licensing in anyway...kwim?

I was told we have a right to check credit on a parent (with their consent) but nothing else. Maybe your DH will have to find a way to have parents consent to being put on that site if something were to go astray with their provider.

Besides, some parents that were one providers worst nightmare have been one of my golden parents so I am not too sure that professionally I would want to participate in something someone might perceive as "parent bashing" site.

TOTALLY NOT saying that is what it is, but we all know the gap between providers and parents when understanding the way child care works.
Exactly...that's why he's been looking into the legal side of things. Seems so unfair that parents can check us out, get references...but we can't.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Exactly...that's why he's been looking into the legal side of things. Seems so unfair that parents can check us out, get references...but we can't.
Oh, don't get me wrong....I definitely think it could be a useful tool for providers but I really don't believe that we should have a right to check out a parent.

I mean, we have policies and rules that we each set as a private business owner that protects what we think is or could be an issue, such as our contracts, being pre-paid, not letting kids wear sandals or bring toys etc etc....so there really shouldn't be a reason why we should have to find anything else out about a parent.

For example, I have specific things a parent can and cannot do that would warrant termination and if they don't abide by the rules/polices I set (and they agreed to) then they are gone. It doesn't really make any difference to me if Sara or Jill thought they were an excellent family or not....see what I mean?

I have had a family in care before that I found out later was termed by another area provider for being a PITA family and continuously breaking the rules and policies in every way. The family is still in my care and has been for over 6 years.....I almost wonder had I known the info about them being a PITA family before hand, would I have declined enrolling them?

But I didn't know and took them on and simply stuck to the policies I value and set forth in my handbook and they have been great for me! I have had 3 of their children and love each and everyone. In my personal opinion I think the other provider was simply just not the right fit and I was so it turned out well for every one.

References are fantastic for those of us that are selling a service or a product so that the consumer knows what they are getting for their money and whether or not we are reputable or not, but references for a consumer IMPO, seems a bit unnecessary as the we have the tools (interview and contract) to weed out the bad eggs from the get go.

This is a very interesting idea though and I am very curious as to what your DH eventually finds out about the legal aspect so please keep me posted as to his progress if that would be ok.

Please don't think I am dissing the idea, (I'm not ) just giving you (and DH) some food for thought and a bit of perspective from another viewpoint.
Tags:non-payment, parents - won't pay, payment collection, payment issues
Reply Up