Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview with Potential DCF
Pepperth 02:52 PM 01-07-2015
I interviewed a potential daycare family today, and I just can't figure out if it went well or not. The potential dcb loved the place. His mom commented that he warmed up to my playroom quicker than he warms up to his grandparents house. The dad was really quiet, and after they checked it all out, he went outside really quickly, leaving mom to put all the winter gear on the boy. Mom seemed very nice, said they'd decide within a few days, and let me know either way. I just received my license recently. This is only my second interview, so I have no idea how to read it. The dad in the family is at the end of a layoff, and will be called back to work shortly, so that might be why they are pushing the decision off a few days. I know it is hard to find care around here for the little boy's age bracket. I'd really like this family. I need to get this daycare up and running. I've been spreading the word. My first interview ended up with the parent signing up immediately, but mostly I've been getting only odd requests or people seeming interested until I quote a price, and then they don't respond. (I'm definitely not over or under-charging. I put my rates at the lower-end of the area's average). I do have one full-time dcb starting next week, and one drop-in baby one day a week, unless this new family decides to start here. How quickly do people usually decide?
daycare 02:57 PM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I interviewed a potential daycare family today, and I just can't figure out if it went well or not. The potential dcb loved the place. His mom commented that he warmed up to my playroom quicker than he warms up to his grandparents house. The dad was really quiet, and after they checked it all out, he went outside really quickly, leaving mom to put all the winter gear on the boy. Mom seemed very nice, said they'd decide within a few days, and let me know either way. I just received my license recently. This is only my second interview, so I have no idea how to read it. The dad in the family is at the end of a layoff, and will be called back to work shortly, so that might be why they are pushing the decision off a few days. I know it is hard to find care around here for the little boy's age bracket. I'd really like this family. I need to get this daycare up and running. I've been spreading the word. My first interview ended up with the parent signing up immediately, but mostly I've been getting only odd requests or people seeming interested until I quote a price, and then they don't respond. (I'm definitely not over or under-charging. I put my rates at the lower-end of the area's average). I do have one full-time dcb starting next week, and one drop-in baby one day a week, unless this new family decides to start here. How quickly do people usually decide?
lots to learn when starting out and this site is the perfect place to get first hand knowledge.

there is a wrath of knowledge here on this site, with tons of providers with years and years of experience. I once started a thread that combined everyone's years of experience and together it was over 1000 years. Gosh where did that thread go?

Remember one thing. You are interviewing the families, just as they are interviewing you. Be sure to have questions you want to ask them so that you can make sure your program is the right fit for them.

each provider is different. I would not take someone who wanted to sign up after meeting with me for 30 minutes. To me it is a HUGE decision to make. I want them to look over my PHB, think about the services I offer and make sure it will work for them as a whole family.

any chance you got their email address?
Pepperth 03:23 PM 01-07-2015
Not their email address, but I have their phone number. The mom and I spoke on the phone for quite a while yesterday going over all the program information. It was a great discussion. Today was just meeting me and seeing the daycare, and a few questions that we forgot to ask each other yesterday. They actually live within walking distance of my house and know several people in common. Its a pretty small town.
daycare 03:28 PM 01-07-2015
Not their email address, but I have their phone number. The mom and I spoke on the phone for quite a while yesterday going over all the program information. It was a great discussion. Today was just meeting me and seeing the daycare, and a few questions that we forgot to ask each other yesterday. They actually live within walking distance of my house and know several people in common. Its a pretty small town.
I live in a small city and run into that all the time too.

only reason I asked for their email, as this has been how I choose to communicate with prospective clients.

I normally always email them after leaving and thanking them for their time. I don't send same day, maybe the next. I really think things over. If I think they are a good fit, I will tell them so and ask them to enroll, if not, again I will tell them so and wish them the best of luck.

Normally I am interviewing other families at the same time and will let them know that at the time of the interview, then by email tell them that I am still making a decision and will contact them to let them know.

For the most part, it seems to be a good method for me so far. If I email and don 't hear back from them in 2-3 days, I really liked them and don't have other families that I like as much, I will call them to ask if they got my email and see where things are.

I don't like to chase anyone, but I feel follow up is great customer service part of the business.

Sounds like you are off to a good start....
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:33 AM 01-08-2015
I have been doing daycare for almost 13 years. When I want a particular family to sign on, this is what I say (whether I interviewed only them or half a dozen!), either by phone or e-mail:

Hi, So-and-so! I really enjoyed meeting you, and want to thank you for considering me as your childcare provider.

After interviewing with a number of other families, I think you and husband's name and child's name would be the best fit for my program, as we seem to share lateral parenting styles/beliefs/what-have-yous. I was very impressed with how well-mannered/cute and sweet/anything-flattering child's name is! I would like to offer you the position for enrollment, and welcome you to our daycare family!

Please let me know by this date (I usually give them 5-7 days) if you would like to have the spot. I will need a signed contract to secure the position.

Sincerely,
The Most Awesome Provider You Could Ever Hope to Meet
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:50 AM 01-08-2015
Daycare is right on, too! When I was new, I would be so nervous about interviewing. It wasn't until I heard advice at an area support group to turn the tables: be prepared with a battery of Q's for them as well, have a notebook to write their answers down, to let them know that they are being interviewed as well. It certainly changes the interview roadway to a 2-way street! It also takes away the air of desperation most of us have at some point or another.
Pepperth 07:39 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Hi, So-and-so! I really enjoyed meeting you, and want to thank you for considering me as your childcare provider.

After interviewing with a number of other families, I think you and husband's name and child's name would be the best fit for my program, as we seem to share lateral parenting styles/beliefs/what-have-yous. I was very impressed with how well-mannered/cute and sweet/anything-flattering child's name is! I would like to offer you the position for enrollment, and welcome you to our daycare family!

Please let me know by this date (I usually give them 5-7 days) if you would like to have the spot. I will need a signed contract to secure the position.

Sincerely,
The Most Awesome Provider You Could Ever Hope to Meet
I need to get another interview so that I can get their email address and try this. I like it.
daycare 08:42 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Daycare is right on, too! When I was new, I would be so nervous about interviewing. It wasn't until I heard advice at an area support group to turn the tables: be prepared with a battery of Q's for them as well, have a notebook to write their answers down, to let them know that they are being interviewed as well. It certainly changes the interview roadway to a 2-way street! It also takes away the air of desperation most of us have at some point or another.
this is very similar to the letter that I send out...Mine is a bit more lengthy, but pretty much says the same thing.

The more you interviews, the better you get at it. The nerves lessen and you feel much more in charge.
Cradle2crayons 11:24 AM 01-08-2015
I agree. I always find that giving off the air that "I" pick based on a good fit, rather than letting THEM pick.. Has always been more successful than the other way. For some reason, parents think I don't just bring any family in baed on desperation.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:40 AM 01-08-2015
I need to get another interview so that I can get their email address and try this. I like it.
You can call them and say something to the same effect. Just make sure you get in the part about having a date to get back to you by so they don't feel put on-the-spot. I always call during the day in hopes I get voicemail.
Pepperth 06:07 PM 01-12-2015
They decided to enroll!! Yay! This makes 2 full time families. Apparently they were so impressed that their son felt so comfortable in the play room. Its interesting how my group is shaping up to be all boys right now.
daycare 06:12 PM 01-12-2015
They decided to enroll!! Yay! This makes 2 full time families. Apparently they were so impressed that their son felt so comfortable in the play room. Its interesting how my group is shaping up to be all boys right now.
awesome! I have always had way more boys than girls..

even right now I have 6 girls and 12 boys...................Gosh I would die for some more girls....lol
Controlled Chaos 07:34 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
awesome! I have always had way more boys than girls..

even right now I have 6 girls and 12 boys...................Gosh I would die for some more girls....lol
I have always had more boys too! I have typically had 6 boys and 1 girl! I just enrolled a pt girl and my daughter was soooo excited lol
TheGoodLife 08:07 PM 01-12-2015
Yay, that is awesome- congratulations! Hope he is a perfect fit for your daycare!
jenboo 08:51 PM 01-12-2015
I have 5 boys and 1 girl (four of the boys are two) . I did have 6 two yr old boys (some shared a spot) and 1 girl.
Josiegirl 03:56 AM 01-13-2015
Congrats on your new enrollment!!

Right now I have all girls except a schoolager but he doesn't come all that often. I love love love it!!
_Dana_ 08:46 AM 01-13-2015
Great news! Right now, my program is all boys too. There just seems to me a disproportionate amount of boys in this town. lol
Tags:interview
Reply Up