Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>St. Patrick's Day Sensory Box Filler
SilverSabre25 09:54 PM 03-03-2012
I got some cute "stuff" at JoAnn's tonight...but I need a filler material! We are just finishing with a rice box and we did corn last fall, sand before that. I suppose I could just do rice again, but I wanted to know if anyone else has any creative ideas. I was contemplating birdseed, and taking out the St. Patty's stuff to move on to birds after...
spud912 09:58 PM 03-03-2012
You can do split peas . . .
meganlavonnesmommy 01:45 AM 03-04-2012
I fill mine with a mix of dried beans. I use white and black for a color contrast.
Meyou 04:53 AM 03-04-2012
Pasta? I just saw a cool tutorial to dye in on pinterest. Let me know if you want the link.
makap 05:05 AM 03-04-2012
Check out this link Silver and everyone else! Really great ideas here!

I found this while searching for ideas myself for St Paddys Day!!.
http://shiningourlights.blogspot.com...b-pots-of.html

I just googled St Patricks Day sensory table and there are a lot of things that came up.
SilverSabre25 05:24 AM 03-04-2012
OOo, thanks for that link, those are some fabulous ideas! I like the "gold" counting idea. I will be doing that!

I kinda like the pea/bean idea...hmm.
makap 05:36 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
OOo, thanks for that link, those are some fabulous ideas! I like the "gold" counting idea. I will be doing that!

I kinda like the pea/bean idea...hmm.

Cool huh? Happy you like!
cheerfuldom 06:12 AM 03-04-2012
cotton balls for a filler?
PitterPatter 11:03 AM 03-04-2012
I love the sensory bins but I have noticed here that the kids are totally bored with ANY bin I make. I started making more discovery bottles and they lasted a bit but now they too are bored after a minute. I have 10 bottles that I made and now feel it was a waste of time and money.
I could make this bin but we have 3 still set up and they want nothing to do with them. I make 1 and it lasts 5 minutes before they want the blocks or dolls or whatever. They too only last a brief time before they say "I'm done"
Ariana 12:31 PM 03-04-2012
Fish rocks/sand might work too! You might even be able to get some green ones. I'm gonna check them out this week.
Ariana 12:32 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I love the sensory bins but I have noticed here that the kids are totally bored with ANY bin I make. I started making more discovery bottles and they lasted a bit but now they too are bored after a minute. I have 10 bottles that I made and now feel it was a waste of time and money.
I could make this bin but we have 3 still set up and they want nothing to do with them. I make 1 and it lasts 5 minutes before they want the blocks or dolls or whatever. They too only last a brief time before they say "I'm done"
Hmmmmmmm. Do you have it out all the time? I only bring mine out once or twice a week if at all. It's definately a 'special' activity.
jojosmommy 06:22 PM 03-04-2012
My kids love flaxseed and if they eat it it won't hurt them. I have no kids who currently do that but it's safe none the less.

Otherwise we use pompoms, easter grass, and beans a lot.
PitterPatter 06:43 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Hmmmmmmm. Do you have it out all the time? I only bring mine out once or twice a week if at all. It's definately a 'special' activity.
I only get those and the discovery bottles a few times per week because I fear they will put something in their mouth (not usually a problem but it only takes a sec) I usually get them out when I can sit right there beside them eyes on them the whole time but they look for a minute and I guess because they can't build or snap together or make sounds etc I guess they get bored.

I tried the sorting trays too put the red poms in 1 green in another etc. trying to teach colors and sorting. They don't care for it either. DCG will shrug her shoulders and ask for something else. DCB tosses them in and says done.
Countrygal 07:07 AM 03-05-2012
I found this link today and loved it! Thought I'd share, in the hopes someone else would find it useful!

http://www.copdandsomuchmore.com/wrenwaterbin.html
SunshineMama 07:49 AM 03-05-2012
If you have a paper shredder, you can shred green construction paper (or whatever color you want) and put that in a bin for a change in texture. Or you could try dried split peas as well.

I also saw on Pinterest how to make colored rice with food dye. You pretty much just put rice in a zip lock bag with a a few drops of food coloring, mix it around, and lay it out on a shallow baking dish to dry.
Ariana 09:26 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
If you have a paper shredder, you can shred green construction paper (or whatever color you want) and put that in a bin for a change in texture.
Totally doing this!! Thanks for the idea

Thanks for the link Countrygal!! The clean mud looks cool!
BigMama 09:56 AM 03-05-2012
Green sand
Reply Up