Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Clean?
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:08 AM 03-07-2012
I know that we all clean during the day, all week.

But come Friday, my house looks like a bomb exploded and so I start major cleaning.

Vacuming, dusting, bathrooms, dishes, laundry, ect.

But come Sunday, my house looks a bomb again and thats just from my own family. So I have to reclean my house so it's nice and clean on Monday.

I feel like I clean all weekend that I have no time for me or my family.

Is it me, am I just being a clean freak, or do you all do this too?

I take pride in having a clean home, all my friends hubby's complain that their wives dont clean like me

And I feel that parents would not appreciate dropping off their kids in a dive!
Soupyszoo 09:13 AM 03-07-2012
I feel like I clean constantly too. I like to enjoy our home after the daycare closes, clean. So as soon as the kids are gone we work together to give it a quick once over. It makes it seem nice for 12 hours til the kids all come back. Then Friday night after closing same thing and it stays pretty nice all weekend. Sunday night we get down and dirty. All the laundry is done things are sterilized and so on... Monday it starts all over again
Ariana 09:16 AM 03-07-2012
My daycare is in my basement so I clean during the day and when it looks like a bomb has exploded down there! Most of the time though it doesn't look that bad so I just leave it. I do exchange the toys every few days and clean the toys once a week so it gets tidied then as well. I do deep cleaning during the day when the kids are here and they're playing well together. One little girl was afraid of the vacuum when she first started but now she helps me vacuum because she's gotten so used to it!! My husband is in charge of the kitchen so lunch and snack gets cleaned up by him every night. My basement gets the worst when my DH plays with our daughter down there on the weekends

My living room upstairs is where the parents come and go so it gets cleaned every weekend (dusted and vacuumed) and tidied every morning (toy put away, book away).
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:24 AM 03-07-2012
My Daycare is in my basement too, so that room is the worst.

But we eat on my main floor and thats all we do up there. I have hardwood on my main floor, so you can see everything.
MrsB 09:35 AM 03-07-2012
I usually tidy up on Friday nights and leave Saturdays for fun days. Sunday are family chore days, so we wake up do breakfast and the kids do most of their chore lists before we head to Church. We usually say that if the kids got their chores done before church we will go out for lunch. When we get home we finish up anything that didnt get done, like toilets, mopping or cleaning the shower and I work on laundry the rest of the day, usually while watching NASCAR! My sunday endulgence! If we have stuff going on Sunday we move chores to Saturday! When the weather is nice my house stays much cleaner on the weekends. I have no guilt about kicking my kids out of the house when its nice to play outside!
Christian Mother 09:38 AM 03-07-2012
My daycare is located upstairs but the kitchen, living room and play room. I feel like I clean all the time and I think I am now OCD bc of my cleaning..lol!! I have finally realized that I might be over doing it a bit and have given my self a break. I straighten on Fri's after the kids leave and then on Sun. deep clean. I have a lot of help from the family though. My husband washes the floors for me and my kids makes sure everything is straightened and put away nicely. I sterilize the toys that where put a way bc kids where putting them in their mouths. Laundry that kind of thing. I try not to stress over the house. I get a lot of compliments on how nice and clean and how it smells so good that that makes me feel good that the house is where it should each day. Also, I need to realized that sometimes cleaning can't always get down when I want it to....things happen life happens and parents are just going to have to understand that. So far I haven't had anyone complain so that is good.
Zoe 09:46 AM 03-07-2012
I was getting overwhelmed by all the cleaning I had to do, so I made myself a chore chart and spread it out a little bit. It really helped me to say "ok it's Wednesday today what do I have to do today." Makes it less overwhelming and I find that my evenings and weekends aren't as stressful.
wdmmom 09:54 AM 03-07-2012
Kitchen is cleaned 3 times a day. After breakfast, after lunch, and after dinner.

Floor is vacuumed after lunch when kids go down for nap. Floors are swept after lunch.

Laundry is done on Mondays.
Bathrooms are cleaned on Wednesdays.

All toys and beds are sanitized Thursday afternoon when the kids wake up from nap.

I have fewer kids on Fridays so it feels like my weekend starts a little early when there isn't so many things to get done on Friday.
icaredaycare 09:55 AM 03-07-2012
funny u mention this thread today. My wife gave me a cleaning service as a gift through a living social deal she found. They just walked out of my house, (kids aren't here yet, after school program today) I never seen my bathroom and kitchen so clean before. They have these crazy home made mix that degreases everything!

I do my fair share of cleaning, and i'm not trying to be all rich and fancy...but i definitely recommend a deep cleaning. They officially sold me today. I think I will sign up for cleaning once a month, or once every other month...depending on finances.
MrsB 10:01 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by icaredaycare:
funny u mention this thread today. My wife gave me a cleaning service as a gift through a living social deal she found. They just walked out of my house, (kids aren't here yet, after school program today) I never seen my bathroom and kitchen so clean before. They have these crazy home made mix that degreases everything!

I do my fair share of cleaning, and i'm not trying to be all rich and fancy...but i definitely recommend a deep cleaning. They officially sold me today. I think I will sign up for cleaning once a month, or once every other month...depending on finances.
I had a cleaning service for awhile too! My hubby got a year service for me a couple years ago for our anniversary. It was really great. When my DD daughter was born we tried to cut back as much of extra as we could and so my cleaner went too. Besides when my 11 DD told me she wasnt going to make her bed because its the cleaning ladies job I blew a gasket! On occasion, when we have company coming or something I will call the cleaning lady in to do a deap clean.

It feels soooo weird to sit there while someone cleans your house. I felt it was well worth the money!
PitterPatter 10:04 AM 03-07-2012
I clean everyday. I start at lunchtime cleaning up daycare things and dishes. After daycare I vaccume and sweep, mop, etc. I wipe the banisters and door knobs etc as I go. Sinks and toilet done at lunchtime and again at the end of the day as well as the tables. Dusting here and there through the week if I have time if not then it falls into the whole house clean up on Sunday.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:06 AM 03-07-2012
I like having the laundry done on sunday, my habby has a weeks worth of coveralls that need to be done.

My bathrooms especially the half bath that the DCK's use is always filthy.

Garbadge days is tuesday.

Dishes are obviously a daily thing.

Not sure how i can spread it out.
MrsB 10:15 AM 03-07-2012
I dont have alot of cleaning during the week. My daycare kids pick up pretty much everything they play with. I usually wipe down stuff daily in the playroom while they are picking up toys. My hubby does the dishes and sweeps every night. My own kids were really aweful about picking up after themselves. Until I started putting anything they left out in garbage bags. Sometimes I still have to pull out a black garbage bag. They hear the sound of me snapping it open and they go scurrying to pick up whatever they left behind. The other major stuff gets done as a family on Sunday.
renodeb 10:24 AM 03-07-2012
I 'am so with you icaredaycare, my mom has gifted me a once every 3 months cleaning and its awesome.
I do my major cleaning sunday after church, all the toys get cleaned and evrything. I usually tidy up friday eve after all the kids are gone.
My own kids have chores they do which helps me out to. My house definately looks like a bomb went off as well. Kitchen gets cleaned dailly b/c of the dc.
I think splitting up the cleaning is a great idea esp if your feeling over whelmed.
Debbie
countrymom 10:31 AM 03-07-2012
I want a cleaning lady, just someone to come in and do the main floor. I can do the upstairs (bedroom) I keep asking dh, but I think I'm going to have to squeeze it in the budget.
DaisyMamma 10:50 AM 03-07-2012
I'm a terrible housecleaner. I hate cleaning. I feel like my house is always a mess and I'm always cleaning it. I cannot wait to get a separate space for my daycare...basement hopefully.
I feel like I pick up toys, and keep the daycare room tidy all day. Then Friday its just like you said, a bomb went off. But by then I've had enough, it stays like that and gets a lot worse by Sunday, a habit I would like to break.
saved4always 10:57 AM 03-07-2012
My daycare is mostly in my basement. We eat in the kitchen. The kids play in the front room by my front door during drop offs and pick ups.

The kids and I clean up the toys in the basement daily before lunch. When we go down in the morning, a couple times a week, I will have them sit on the couch while I do a quick vacuum. Any toy cleaning I will do while they are playing down there (all the toys are in separate cubes so I can do a cube they are not using...I try to just have a couple types out at a time since they just spread them all over the floor anyways ). When I need to do a deeper clean down there (wash floor, etc.), I do it right after the kids leave for the afternoon. I don't do much else down there after that...close the door and don't look at it til the next daycare day.

I clean up the kitchen right after lunch, including the high chairs, counters and dishes. The kids play in the front room for a few minutes while I finish up. Then we pick up the toys in the front room right before they get new diapers for nap. I clean the front room toys while they nap.

My ds is kind enough to vacuum the main floor before he goes to school if I ask. I wash the floor usually while the kids are napping or sometimes on the weekend. I throw laundry in whenever the mood strikes me...my laundry room is right off the kitchen so I can usually get it done without it being a big deal. Upstairs bathrooms probably get the most neglected because none of my dck's is potty trained. Half bath on main floor gets wiped down every other day or so, usually at naptime when I get to use it without needing to rush back to the kids. I used to clean it every day when I had kids that used it.
Heidi 10:58 AM 03-07-2012
My main daycare is upstairs, and I have hardwood floors. High gloss hickory-shows everything!

I do quick cleanups on Mon-Thus during nap time. Fridays at naptime I usually wash the floors and dust too. Then I try to have afternoon snack outside, if possible. If Friday doesn't happen, then it's Saturday morning.

It's harder to clean my downstairs (family room, and master suite), because I can't go down there while the kids are awake or asleep (two rest downstairs). Once in a while, if my 14yo dd is home, she will play with the toddlers upstairs, and I will take a couple older kids downstairs with me (there are a few toys down there), and I will clean. I can't take my toddlers down there at all because they get into everything, and I end up spending more time redirecting than cleaning.
littlemommy 11:05 AM 03-07-2012
It never ends! I feel like I clean all day and all night. Especially with my 2yo...he loves to dump and run!

http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2012.htm

I found this on pinterest and have been using it. It seems to help me organize areas I don't normally think about.
BigMama 11:31 AM 03-07-2012
I too get overwhelmed by all the cleaning that has to be done. I am not a naturally organized person nor do I have a knack for or need to clean for the sake of cleaning. I only clean because I have to.
I spend all of Sunday doing major cleaning: dusting all of the living room and dining room, mopping floors, vacuuming, washing and rotating upstairs toys and books, cleaning kitchen and bathroom, laundry, etc. I usually end up vacuuming at least once per day during the week. I also use the wet Swiffer after meals. I try to spot clean the kitchen floor daily and mop again on Wed. or Thurs. The dishes get done after every meal. The stove, sink, and countertops get wiped down daily.The bathroom gets wiped down daily with another good cleaning on Wed. or Thurs. Tables and boosters seats get wiped down after each meal and snack. The main playroom gets picked up daily by the kids, but as they are 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, and 3 1/2, they don't do a superb job. I spend 15-30 minutes a night tidying up, setting up activities, vacuuming, etc. the playroom each night. I can't do this during naps because our playroom is downstairs and we are required to stay on the same floor as the children when they sleep.
This is my system - if you can call it a system. I feel like the cleaning never ends. My living room/dining room, bathroom, and the playroom stay fairly clean. The kitchen is also clean but terribly cluttered with paperwork, mail, books, art and craft supplies and toys that we have used and need to be put away, my youngest's homeschooling materials, etc. I get very overwhelmed by the clutter! I envy everyone who is organized and has a system for getting the cleaning done. I wish I didn't face so much cleaning after ten hours of work!
Countrygal 02:19 PM 03-07-2012
The only time I've found to clean is Sunday afternoon. I hate doing it then, but if I do it Saturday, it's dirty by Monday.

So Saturday is my day off and we do all the shopping. Glad I don't have any all-consuming hobbies atm....
Reply Up