Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Thoughts On The "New Food Pouches'
countrymom 06:46 AM 04-03-2014
you know the ones that are in those pouches (they look like koolaide jammers) but are a mix of gross foods and pureed so they are like applesauce. Are you finding that they are used too much by parents that kids don't know how to eat.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 04-03-2014
I have never had a family even mention one of these before.

I doubt any of my DCK's use/eat them or whatever you do with them.

I know we had a big discussion on the forum about these a few years back and I waited to see if their popularity would catch on but nope.

So no issues here.
SilverSabre25 06:54 AM 04-03-2014
They've been around for quite awhile. Very convenient at times when spoon feeding would be a PITA. as for them being a "mix of gross foods" I think it's awesome that they are starting to branch out and put a wider variety of foods into baby foods. The change even in the six years from when my DD was eating solids is astounding! I'm hoping some of those foods start making it into the "regular" spoon foods too.

and nope, haven't run across anyone that uses them so much their kids don't know how to eat anything else.
coolconfidentme 06:54 AM 04-03-2014
I have one parent mention she feeds her child those cause she is "on the run all the time." I replied I use them too, but when I am "on the run in a long distance run, otherwise I take the time to cook for my family." She gave me an awkward smile.
countrymom 07:02 AM 04-03-2014
omg I now have 2 families who feed it to their kids all the time. One is 14 months old and i couldn't figure out why he didn't know how to eat with his fingers. I'm all for mixing foods, but really how hard is it to make it from scratch. And I wouldn't complain if the kids got it when your out and about but I have families who are using it as a meal replacement, this explains the gag reflex and the unable to chew problems I'm having. Its really popular hear, you would not believe all the varieties you can buy now.
Meyou 07:07 AM 04-03-2014
I have no problem with the organic whole food ones. I have a friend with a 6 year old who eats one with applesauce, quinoa and kale every single day for lunch. That's a good thing IMO.

I do think they should be exclusively for travel, field trips, or school lunches though. I don't like the whole concept of kids just sucking down a meal instead of actually eating as a regular thing.

They're very popular here.
NightOwl 07:13 AM 04-03-2014
I don't offer those because of the risk of mold growing in the pouches. It's happened. In my opinion, it you can't see it first, then don't eat/drink it!
spud912 07:33 AM 04-03-2014
Are you talking about the pouch applesauce blends....like this:

If so, I do use those for my daughters, but only when we are driving across town and they need a snack. Otherwise, they eat homemade applesauce . . . with a spoon . I would never use them for daycare children because (1) they are expensive and (2) we are at home so no need for spoonless pouches. My daycare parents have never mentioned feeding their children these, but I'm sure they have at some point.
kathiemarie 07:38 AM 04-03-2014
I use them but only when I'm trying to get lunch on the table and I have a older infant (old enough to self feed but still needs to be watched closely) screaming for food. I will put them in their highchair get them an apple sauce and good to go. I was so against them at first but when used correctly they are ok. I would rather give them fruit/veggie instead of cereal or crackers.
SilverSabre25 07:41 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this explains the gag reflex and the unable to chew problems I'm having.
I doubt that it's there's a causational relationship there, unless it's the other way around and the parents have defaulted to the pouches because he *can* and will eat them. It's a lot more likely that he has something else going on--even if nothing's been found yet-- that is causing his difficulties. Sounds to me like severe texture aversion/sensory stuff and/or low muscle tone making him unable to chew. Probably a combination of the two.

Don't be so quick to condemn the parents.
countrymom 07:45 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Are you talking about the pouch applesauce blends....like this:

If so, I do use those for my daughters, but only when we are driving across town and they need a snack. Otherwise, they eat homemade applesauce . . . with a spoon . I would never use them for daycare children because (1) they are expensive and (2) we are at home so no need for spoonless pouches. My daycare parents have never mentioned feeding their children these, but I'm sure they have at some point.
yes but in the baby food section the have a variety of flavors. What I did notice is that some of those that are in the pouches use to be in jars and served as a more chunky thicker stage, but now its all pureed. Do you think its inhibiting kids from using their teeth when given every day as a meal replacement.

and yes they are expensive. I have 2. One is banana vanilla yogurt and the other one is apple squash carrot prune (which is a weird combo)

hmm never thought about the mold good point!!
TwinKristi 07:47 AM 04-03-2014
It's the only way some parents can get their kids to eat veggies. I loved them when my DS wasn't eating table foods yet. He didn't get teeth til he was like 8 mos old. He managed to eat quite a bit of foods without teeth though! Anyway, WIC gives those pouches as part of their package here in CA and they actually work great for our earthquake kit! Now I just have a few of the 6 pack of applesauce cups instead.
KDC 07:49 AM 04-03-2014
I have a family that uses them instead of those gerber plastic baby food containers, and I like that better. I can squeeze the contents into glass food jar to warm it up, and I hated removing the gerber plastic only to have it 'burp' the food onto my clothes I refuse to just hand over the pouch so he can eat half, and paint pretty pictures on the highchair with the other half

What I dislike very much is when my DCF uses the reusable 'pouch for storage. The freeze homemade baby food (almost always blueberries) which are way to chunky to slurp, so I have to warm up in warm water, then squeeze out the ziplock portion, which is always a messy process, warm it up again in a glass bowl, then have to rinse out the reusable pouch where the blueberries always get stuck in the ziplock portion then there are toothpicks involved and maybe some fake curse words. It's just MESSY and not an efficient use of my time. Tupperware or ice cubes are WAY easier.
NoMoreJuice! 07:50 AM 04-03-2014
I found a variety of great ones at Sprouts...can't remember the brand name, but they only have 5g of sugar (unlike the applesauce/fruity ones that can have 20 or more!!!) and they have good stuff like kale and squashes and chia seeds.

I think they're great as a supplement, definitely not a replacement. We just finished a 12 week nutrition course (for the parents mostly) and I sent home a healthy snack for the whole family to try every Friday along with reading material and homework. The kids really loved the Acai berry and kale pouches the best!

MUST read labels...the ones with low sugar are an A+ in my opinion!
sharlan 07:57 AM 04-03-2014
I have one mom that uses them a lot. At first, I was pretty disgusted, but quickly gave up.

I use them when we go on outings. It's much more convenient than dealing with spoons and spilled applesauce.

My eldest grandson has texture/color issues when eating. The only fruit he will eat is applesauce, but will suck down the flavored pouches because he can't see what's in them.
jenboo 08:14 AM 04-03-2014
I think they are very convenient but some parents over use them.
I used to nanny a boy who at 2 yrs old didn't even comprehend how to use a spoon or even hold it! He had those pouches..and at first he didn't even know how to suck the food out! They would squeeze it onto a spoon and feed him. I had to teach him how to suck the food out and then how to use a spoon. I was completely shocked!

I have the reusable ones and we will have one for snack once/twice every 3 weeks. The kids think its fun. I will put fruit and spinach in them. They are a pain to clean though...i have to rinse right away, then I soak over night and then I use a bottle brush to get everything rinsed/cleaned out. Mine are clear so I can see if there is anything left behind.
melskids 09:54 AM 04-03-2014
Looks like I'm going to be the odd man out, but I think they're pretty gross and lazy. If my life is too busy to stop and eat an actual meal, then my life is too busy, period.

Even if I DID use them, I'd still squeeze them out in to a bowl. The thought of sucking food out of a pouch is just weird and gross to me.

<<<<zipping up my flame suit now. LOL>>>>
countrymom 10:20 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
Looks like I'm going to be the odd man out, but I think they're pretty gross and lazy. If my life is too busy to stop and eat an actual meal, then my life is too busy, period.

Even if I DID use them, I'd still squeeze them out in to a bowl. The thought of sucking food out of a pouch is just weird and gross to me.

well then I need a suit too. Because it is the lazy way out to me. And the fact its processed food, no wonder kids have high cholesteral. Like the one I have is banana vanilla yogurt. How hard is it to mush a banana or give a small container of yogurt. As for trying to get kids to eat other veggies. Well we all know its a texture thing. My own kids would never have eaten some of the stuff, well now they are older (9 to 16) and omg they eat so much green beans that half my garden is green beans, or broccoli and believe it or not they even love brussell sprouts. Maybe because I'm older, I just don't do quick foods like that.
KidGrind 10:28 AM 04-03-2014
It great to tie the kids over on a long excursion (applesauce).

Yet I have a DCM who sends them to me everyday. She says, “He eats them by himself. He won’t eat for us any other way.:roll eyes:

I squeeze the food into a bowl and use a spoon. It works and DCB gobbles it up.

When a child only eats from a pouch, I don’t think it’s a great idea.
butterfly 10:49 AM 04-03-2014

well then I need a suit too. Because it is the lazy way out to me. And the fact its processed food, no wonder kids have high cholesteral. Like the one I have is banana vanilla yogurt. How hard is it to mush a banana or give a small container of yogurt. As for trying to get kids to eat other veggies. Well we all know its a texture thing. My own kids would never have eaten some of the stuff, well now they are older (9 to 16) and omg they eat so much green beans that half my garden is green beans, or broccoli and believe it or not they even love brussell sprouts. Maybe because I'm older, I just don't do quick foods like that.

I think they are gross too (and LAZY). I see 10+year old kids walking around sucking on those things.
Leigh 11:13 AM 04-03-2014
My diaper bag is full of those pouches! Kids of all ages love them, and they are awesome for when we are away from home. I can hand one to my son in the backseat on a road trip or give him one while we are shopping. I've used them for quite some time, and I love them. I didn't use them INSTEAD of feeding with a spoon at home, though-they're too expensive for that, IMO. I take them with to the park, and if someone needs a snack there, they're thrilled to get them.
preschoolteacher 11:22 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
My diaper bag is full of those pouches! Kids of all ages love them, and they are awesome for when we are away from home. I can hand one to my son in the backseat on a road trip or give him one while we are shopping. I've used them for quite some time, and I love them. I didn't use them INSTEAD of feeding with a spoon at home, though-they're too expensive for that, IMO. I take them with to the park, and if someone needs a snack there, they're thrilled to get them.
I agree completely! I like the pouches as special "emergency" treats when I'm going out somewhere with the kids. I don't serve them at home (too expensive) and I also try NOT to use them when we are out (too expensive!), but I always throw a couple in my diaper bag just in case.
preschoolteacher 11:23 AM 04-03-2014
I also agree that too many pouches can be a negative impact on a child actually eating REAL fruits and vegetables.
NeedaVaca 11:36 AM 04-03-2014
http://www.slate.com/articles/double...it_snacks.html

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...veggies-apples

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/ga...lves.html?_r=0
Country Kids 11:38 AM 04-03-2014
My parents went on long trips when I was little-we talking across country and back. Different state trips, nothing to go on a road trip for the day. I learned early on how to eat picinic style. Parents would stop to feed their children

I also think how would jparents of today have mad it 20+ years ago when these weren't available? Why not give a child a real apple and let them eat it, or a jar of appolesauce and put it into smaller containers.

We are getting to be a society that our foods and drinks can only come from something with a straw.
melilley 11:40 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I doubt that it's there's a causational relationship there, unless it's the other way around and the parents have defaulted to the pouches because he *can* and will eat them. It's a lot more likely that he has something else going on--even if nothing's been found yet-- that is causing his difficulties. Sounds to me like severe texture aversion/sensory stuff and/or low muscle tone making him unable to chew. Probably a combination of the two.

Don't be so quick to condemn the parents.

melilley 11:45 AM 04-03-2014
I give them to my son occasionally when we are out or for a quick snack sometimes while I'm making dinner. I am not lazy and home cook almost everything and he still eats real foods. I don't have a problem with them as long as the pouches aren't the only thing that they are eating.
Meyou 11:48 AM 04-03-2014

I agree with you in principal. I think people should make time for good food and teach that to children. However, we don't live in an ideal world all the time.

There are options that are whole food and organic which I can get on board with. I would rather see a 3 year old in the back of a minivan being toted to big bro/sis's upteenth game of the month with an organic whole food fruit/veggie pouch than McD's or a donut. They get 2 full servings of fruit/veg, no mess for mom and dad and they can eat it on the go without fumbling with a dish.

If I put kale, apple sauce, bananas, and yogurt in my blender and then into a straw cup it's a smoothie. Whole food pouches are pretty much the same for me. Do I personally buy them? No. But I also don't have small children of my own.
Meyou 11:49 AM 04-03-2014
They aren't all processed food. There are whole food organic options.
Jack Sprat 11:49 AM 04-03-2014
We don't use them. I don't know if any of my daycare families use them or not. I hadn't really given them much thought.
TwinKristi 11:54 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I agree with you in principal. I think people should make time for good food and teach that to children. However, we don't live in an ideal world all the time.

There are options that are whole food and organic which I can get on board with. I would rather see a 3 year old in the back of a minivan being toted to big bro/sis's upteenth game of the month with an organic whole food fruit/veggie pouch than McD's or a donut. They get 2 full servings of fruit/veg, no mess for mom and dad and they can eat it on the go without fumbling with a dish.

If I put kale, apple sauce, bananas, and yogurt in my blender and then into a straw cup it's a smoothie. Whole food pouches are pretty much the same for me. Do I personally buy them? No. But I also don't have small children of my own.
And this is truly what the choices are these days. Sure they give apple slices and milk at McDonalds now, but I would much rather my 2yr old be sipping a pouch with organic fruits, veggies and grains than get him some french fries and chicken nuggets.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Sure if that's the ONLY thing the child will eat, that can be a problem. But if that was the only way I could get a DCB to eat veggies than I would probably resort to using them. It's actually a good idea for one of my DCBs... he won't eat anything green. He has low muscle tone, sensory issues, stuffing issues... I could go on and on. But even pancakes, which he absolutely devours at any sitting, was refused on St Patricks Day because I dyed them green!! He ate some peas the other day for the first time in over a year of being in my care.
Tsadri 12:27 PM 04-03-2014
I eat them. They make me feel like an astronaut.
butterfly 12:28 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Tsadri:

jenboo 12:43 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Tsadri:
I think they are delicious but too small they need to make an adult size
NeedaVaca 12:48 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I think they are delicious but too small they need to make an adult size
looks like you're in luck

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...00280004277610
jenboo 01:20 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
looks like you're in luck

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...00280004277610
Perfect! I would probably buy some for an occasional treat!
Oss_cc 01:32 PM 04-03-2014
Eh, everyday or multiple times a day, no way. But I definitely give them to my kids as a snack every once in awhile. I treat them the same way I do the organic fruit leathers. They're sugary, so not often and when the do get them, I balance them with something solid (whole grain etc) to mellow it out a bit.
Heidi 05:02 PM 04-03-2014

Oh yeah!!!!

"Die Augen essen mit" (the eyes eat as well).

I'm hardly Miss-Fancy=Pants but come on....
Tags:child cannot self-feed, pouch foods
Reply Up