Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scarlet Fever
Unregistered 04:03 PM 09-24-2014
Anyone have experience with this illness? Any info will help thanks.
Meyou 04:10 PM 09-24-2014
One of my dd's has had it twice. It's a version of strep throat with a rash instead of a sore throat. Within 24 hours of antibiotics she was feeling much, much better. The rash feels like sandpaper but looks like sunburn.
Childminder 04:36 PM 09-24-2014
Scarlet fever usually transpires after a child has strep but remains untreated. The "sandpaper" rash forms over most of the body and then the child will probably shed/peel his/her skin. If left untreated, scarlet fever can result in more-serious conditions that affect the heart, kidneys and other parts of the body..
CraftyMom 04:49 PM 09-24-2014
Well, you're both right. It's actually strep throat and the rash together, though I suppose sometimes one symptom may be more prevalent.

It's not that the strep goes untreated. It's a different strain of strep that produces a rash as well.

My 3 kids had it. Any specific questions?

Definitely contagious, cause for closing daycare until the kids are on antibiotics for 24 hours.

It is a communicable disease so in my state it's mandatory to inform all daycare families.
TwinKristi 07:20 PM 09-24-2014
Yeah my 3 oldest all had it this Spring! Didn't start with strep, started with a crazy rash. No fever or anything. We went to the Ped and they tested for strep and it was neg but rash got worse so we went to the ER and they have him a steroid for the rash. About 2wks later his twin got it and tested positive for strep with another dr and we gave both the abx. My next youngest got it on Easter. Started with a fever and then a rash, no sore throat. I took him to the ER since our dr was closed and they said it was typical scarlet fever and since his brothers had it they didn't even bother testing for strep and treated him.
The twins had it when they were about 3 and it was from tepeated exposure to strep while on antibiotics. They went to Head Start and kids would come in on the bus sick and parents had no way to get the child so they had all these sick kids they couldn't send home and stuff. My kids had already been sick and were being treated for strep when they got Scarlet Fever so they did another type of abx.
Michael 11:01 PM 09-24-2014
More threads on Scarlet Fever: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=scarlet+fever
craftymissbeth 06:20 AM 09-25-2014
My son had it two years ago. It was treated exactly the same as strep throat is treated.
Tags:scarlet fever
Reply Up