Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>They Moved My Cheese But I'm Going To Find It!
permanentvacation 06:21 PM 11-04-2014
I've been Hem for too long. I am now becoming Haw. Hopefully, not too long from now, I will be Sniff and Scurry. I recently read the book, 'Who Moved My Cheese?' And I loved it! It is fairly simple, but blatantly honest and makes you think and analyze yourself and the situation you are in.

I truly love my daycare. I have complete faith in my daycare. I love teaching the kids, playing pretend with them, sitting back and monitoring them to see what ideas they come up with, everything. Since I love my daycare so much, it has been very hard for me to admit to myself that my daycare, or the expectations that I have of the parents' and children's behavior, means of communication, and overall way that I operate my daycare does not fit in to the general population of this area. I have tried to adjust my behavior, expectations, and have changed my daycare program a few times to try to blend in with the parents and children in this area. After reading 'Who Moved My Cheese?', I realized that my cheese, at least for the time being, is no longer my daycare. My cheese has been moved and I need to run through the maze to find it!

So, I am working on just doing daycare part-time and getting a part-time job out of the house. If working out of the house seems more like the new location of my cheese, I will then work on closing my daycare and working full-time out of the house. I am hoping to move to a nicer area in a couple of years. I really believe that then, they will move my cheese back to doing daycare.
sahm1225 08:05 PM 11-04-2014
Praying for you and that you find your cheese
NightOwl 10:24 PM 11-04-2014
That damn elusive cheese! I've gotta read this book. I've heard a lot about it.
TaylorTots 05:43 AM 11-05-2014
Good luck!!!
permanentvacation 06:24 AM 11-05-2014
sahm 1225 and Taylortots,

Thank you.

Wednesday,

I had wanted to read the book for years because I had heard so much about it as well. No one told me what the book was about other than it was simple yet awesome, will make you think about yourself and analyze yourself, and that it could change the way you live your life. I think it's one of those books that society has a secret code that we agree not to tell others the story. We secretly, without even knowing each other, agree that each person must read the book for themselves. Yes, you MUST read the book! It really is a very easy read, only about 100 pages. I bought my book at Barnes and Nobles and sat right in their coffee shop and read the entire thing.
BabyMonkeys 08:42 AM 11-05-2014
I thought you had some seriously naughty kids! I'm glad that it was metaphorical, and they didn't actually steal any cheese. That would make for quite a horrible smell
permanentvacation 09:25 AM 11-05-2014
angelw2babies,

lol. Yeah, it would be a bit much if daycare kids were literally hiding cheese throughout my house!
AmyKidsCo 11:20 AM 11-05-2014
I'm a hem-and-haw'er. Maybe I need to read the book too!
e.j. 11:21 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I thought you had some seriously naughty kids! I'm glad that it was metaphorical, and they didn't actually steal any cheese. That would make for quite a horrible smell
I misunderstood, too.

I thought you were talking about your uninvited "house guests" when I read the title of your post. Has that quieted down for now?
permanentvacation 01:02 PM 11-05-2014
e. j.

I'm so sorry! I could understand how you thought that. No, no one literally moved any cheese.

The house has been very quiet for a while. However, I left the house for about 2 hours the other evening. When I got home, my daughter and dog were sitting outside. She said she heard loud noises from the basement and ran outside with the dog. But other then whatever she might have heard, there's been nothing happening for a while.
Unregistered 02:45 PM 11-05-2014
I found this book at a yard sale and read it. I think there's either a sequel or another part to it. I'm not shocked, because the methods in this book don't work. We're humans, not mice. We can make our routes and choices. The book is too much about submitting to challenges and not getting your way. I.e. the rock won't move, but you can type of CRAP. This is my business. If any parent has a problem with it, they can take their child somewhere else. I'm not working around a child. I did for years as a teacher. Now, I'm the rule maker.
e.j. 05:08 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
e. j.

I'm so sorry! I could understand how you thought that. No, no one literally moved any cheese.

The house has been very quiet for a while. However, I left the house for about 2 hours the other evening. When I got home, my daughter and dog were sitting outside. She said she heard loud noises from the basement and ran outside with the dog. But other then whatever she might have heard, there's been nothing happening for a while.
Oh, I was just laughing at myself for misunderstanding.

Glad to hear things have quieted down. Hopefully the noise your dd heard was nothing more than just old-house noise. Must have felt like a long 2 hours for her, though!
permanentvacation 06:43 PM 11-05-2014
e.j.

Yeah, she was scared to death! Poor kid! Now I'm looking into working out of the house evenings and weekends. I don't know how she will handle it. She says she'll be okay, but I sort of expect that she'll be showing up at my job often!
Reply Up