Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming a Family You Like.... Because of Business
TaylorTots 12:45 PM 12-30-2014
I have a family that I like. I really do. They are very generous, though they have struggled to remember some of the basic policies. They are good parents, good clients.

And I need to let them go as of the beginning of March.

They are part time (2 kids, 3 days per week) and I am taking on a full time infant sibling and letting them go. It's all money and business. Let the 2 kids go ($180 per week) and take on a full time infant ($150 per week) and have a full time opening to fill as I want - if I want - without taking any big financial hits. If I don't take the infant, I will loose the sibling and another full timer whose mom is BFF with the sibling and infant's mom.

I do feel HORRIBLE. I can offer them a month notice at the beginning of February and I hope to find a possible referral for them as they will struggle finding part time care in our area for two almost 4 year old twins who will need preschool transportation in the fall. Christmas made it harder with a heart felt gift of beautiful necklace and $50 Visa giftcard.

There will be heart break and tears on their end. This is really going to stink.

I just have to share. Any advice or thoughts is always appreciated from you awesome ladies! Heck, I don't even know how to bring it up
Indoorvoice 02:36 PM 12-30-2014
Ohhh I feel for you. I'm going through this right now with my friends who are enrolled in my daycare. I posted about them yesterday. I need to let them go mostly for business reasons, and it's tough. I let her know last night and so far it's not going well. I'll let you know what NOT to do when this is all over with. Good luck!
daycarediva 02:45 PM 12-30-2014
That's is such a difficult situation. You're making the right decision for yourself/your business, but it doesn't make it any easier emotionally.

I would just tell her honestly, that you cannot accommodate their part time schedule and that you have loved having the girls in care, will miss their family, etc. I would give a little more notice, maybe give them a few referrals if you know anyone.
daycare 02:46 PM 12-30-2014
I have been there, but you get over it...lol

It does make you feel bad, but I am sure that you explain in the beginning of their enrollment that it is possible this will happen.

All of my part time families are required to sign a a statement that they are aware of the fact that Full time families will take priority over Part time. They understand that if their spot is in demand, they will have the opportunity to go full time or term.

I hate doing it, but at the end of the day I have to keep my business running at a certain capacity every day to be able to afford to keep it running.
Reply Up