Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting my own daycare out of my home!
choirlady76 09:28 AM 01-09-2015
Hi all,

Currently I work at a preschool/daycare center and I've worked at 3 during the course of my career. I have my A.S. in early childhood education.

I'm pondering starting my own daycare in my home, my mother-in-law suggested it and I like the idea and think it's possible. I live in New Jersey and live in an old Victorian home.

I'm not sure where to begin, I did see the "starting a daycare" thread and intend to read it. However, if any of you have advice or guidance, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I will have many questions. Thank you very much!!
Shell 10:21 AM 01-09-2015
Originally Posted by choirlady76:
Hi all,

Currently I work at a preschool/daycare center and I've worked at 3 during the course of my career. I have my A.S. in early childhood education.

I'm pondering starting my own daycare in my home, my mother-in-law suggested it and I like the idea and think it's possible. I live in New Jersey and live in an old Victorian home.

I'm not sure where to begin, I did see the "starting a daycare" thread and intend to read it. However, if any of you have advice or guidance, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I will have many questions. Thank you very much!!
Hi! I'm sure someone in your state can be of more help, but I will try I also worked in centers and wanted to open an in home daycare. It's a great business to get into- though not always dependable. My state requires a few orientations where they go over regulations and hand out packets to guide you through the process. The licensing part can be easy or complicated, depending on the condition of your home: you will likely have to put up safety gates, cover outlets, make sure you have working smoke detectors, furniture can't be easily knocked over, etc. your state might be different. You likely have all the requirements in regards to CPR and first aid and trainings, but again, each state is different. Good luck!
TheGoodLife 10:54 AM 01-09-2015
Welcome! Good luck in your journey, one thing I'd recommend is to read around here and use advice and even others' handbooks and contracts if thy are willin to share. I started on here a year or more before I opened and I started with a detailed, professional handbook and set of policies that started me on the right foot when it came to finding quality families. There are some absolutely fabulous ladies and gentlemen here to give advice and support!!! I also would recommend searching for local daycare groups on Facebook and social groups for support. I'm legally license exempt here so I have no advice on that aspect.

Good luck with everything
Ariana 12:04 PM 01-09-2015
Get a good contract and a good backbone!
choirlady76 11:32 AM 01-10-2015
Thank you all very much for your advice!

In regards a contract, should I make this up and what all should it entail?

I am very familiar with parent handbooks but not the contract.
SignMeUp 12:55 PM 01-10-2015
Originally Posted by choirlady76:
Thank you all very much for your advice!

In regards a contract, should I make this up and what all should it entail?

I am very familiar with parent handbooks but not the contract.
I believe Tom Copeland has a book/cd with forms.
Reply Up