Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Diapering Procedures
Unregistered 06:51 AM 01-26-2015
What do you all do for diapering pads on your changing table? I understand that the pad needs to be changed after each diapering. What I have found makes it very expensive. Is there a less expensive solution? Thank you.
Annalee 07:00 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What do you all do for diapering pads on your changing table? I understand that the pad needs to be changed after each diapering. What I have found makes it very expensive. Is there a less expensive solution? Thank you.
We are allowed to spray our vinyl mats on the changing table with a bleach/water solution. It is best to air dry or providers can wipe after 20 seconds.
sahm1225 07:19 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We are allowed to spray our vinyl mats on the changing table with a bleach/water solution. It is best to air dry or providers can wipe after 20 seconds.
This.
permanentvacation 07:42 AM 01-26-2015
We also don't have to have a disposable pad, we just spray the vinyl mat with bleach water too. If I had to change the pads after each diaper, I think I'd see if we can use paper like they have to put on doctor's tables and see how expensive they are. If I had to throw away a pad for every diaper I changed, it would take me broke!
crazydaycarelady 07:54 AM 01-26-2015
I have cut pieces of fleece into about 18 x 24 inch pieces and lay them on my changing pad then throw in the wash after use. The state came and said it as fine.
Unregistered 08:17 AM 01-26-2015
I was told I need to have some sort of individual changing pads for each diapering.
Unregistered 08:18 AM 01-26-2015
paper towels
Angelsj 08:20 AM 01-26-2015
I have about 30 receiving blankets. I place one on the changing pad, change little one, throw in wash, spray changing pad, let dry until next change.
The initial cost is a little high, but I have been using the same ones for two or more years. If they start getting raggedy, I replace as needed.
Unregistered 08:22 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have cut pieces of fleece into about 18 x 24 inch pieces and lay them on my changing pad then throw in the wash after use. The state came and said it as fine.
Thanks for the idea. I checked into disposable pads and it is crazy to pay that much just to throw them away. I had been using paper towels and she said it was unacceptable because it was a porous surface. But I said I throw it away after and she said it has to be plastic or non porous. Even the paper from a doc's office is porous. I don't get it.
Baby Beluga 09:16 AM 01-26-2015
Butcher paper works great for this. Depending on the size of the sheet and kiddo, you can even cut it in half.

http://www.amazon.com/Danco-WBP-2436...+butcher+paper
SignMeUp 09:44 AM 01-26-2015
If you are required to have a non-permeable barrier on top of the bleachable changing pad, you could buy vinyl table cloths and cut them to size. They could go in a diaper pail/covered garbage can after use, and then in the laundry at the end of the day.

Fabric stores also sell a wide variety of prints and solids of this type of material, by the yard.
Angelsj 10:06 AM 01-26-2015
Thanks for the idea. I checked into disposable pads and it is crazy to pay that much just to throw them away. I had been using paper towels and she said it was unacceptable because it was a porous surface. But I said I throw it away after and she said it has to be plastic or non porous. Even the paper from a doc's office is porous. I don't get it.
That is strange. But maybe a roll of parchment paper? I don't see how a single use blanket or piece of fleece could be an issue. Especially since you spray the surface afterward.
Febby 10:41 AM 01-26-2015
In my state we just spray a reusable pad with a soap/water solution to clean it and then a bleach/water solution to sanitize it. It's recommended we also use a paper liner, but I don't know any providers who do.

If your liner has to be nonporous, then I would try the vinyl tablecloth idea. Or else just cut up some garbage bags? What does your licensor recommend?
mim 10:44 AM 01-26-2015
I use a travel changing pad on the floor and wipe with Clorox wipes after each change. In a training once they said wax paper was fine too and you just throw it away after.
e.j. 11:30 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
In a training once they said wax paper was fine too and you just throw it away after.
I use the waxed paper sheets that are sold at BJ's or Sam's Club. They come in a set of 2 boxes, with 500 sheets each. I'm not sure how much they cost; it's been awhile since I had to buy them but I don't think it's all that expensive.
Unregistered 03:29 PM 01-26-2015
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am going to check the BJ's wax paper idea. Hope that makes her happy. I just am blown away with all the regulations. I have been licensed for 24 years and every time I renew I find they change things and don't send us updates. Are we supposed to be psychic and just automatically know these things? I guess the state of Massachusetts needs to keep their offices busy with these "cover your ass" newfangled ideas!
e.j. 04:05 PM 01-26-2015
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am going to check the BJ's wax paper idea. Hope that makes her happy. I just am blown away with all the regulations. I have been licensed for 24 years and every time I renew I find they change things and don't send us updates. Are we supposed to be psychic and just automatically know these things? I guess the state of Massachusetts needs to keep their offices busy with these "cover your ass" newfangled ideas!
This is one of my biggest pet peeve's about EEC in MA - lack of communication. I've found that I learn more information about regulations/changes in regulations from other providers than I do directly from EEC.
Rachel 11:55 PM 01-29-2015
I have the parents provide, and I also have cloth diapers (the cheap ones) as backup. Here we don't ahve to change them after each use though, just for each child. I put it back in the child's drawer (unless it's dirty of course).
Unregistered 10:44 AM 01-31-2015
I have used dental bibs. They are cheap and they are water resistant.
KiddieCahoots 11:42 AM 01-31-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
This is one of my biggest pet peeve's about EEC in MA - lack of communication. I've found that I learn more information about regulations/changes in regulations from other providers than I do directly from EEC.

....totally agree!
And don't waste your breath asking them to show where these regs are located in the regulations, because they are only a "suggestion", at this point, that you can still be cited for.
Tags:diaper changing procedures
Reply Up