Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Quick question re: 24/48 hour exclusion policy

If a child is sent home due to being unable to participate (tired, etc).... do you require a 48 time period to pass still?

I am leaning towards yes as I assume the child is becoming or is ill, hence the need/desire for rest but wondering what everyone else does.

TIA!
Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
If a child is sent home due to being unable to participate (tired, etc).... do you require a 48 time period to pass still?

I am leaning towards yes as I assume the child is becoming or is ill, hence the need/desire for rest but wondering what everyone else does.

TIA!
I guess I've never had that experience but what I would do is take all the info into consideration (age, behavior yesterday, parents/type of family etc) and make a decision based on that.

If you feel he is getting sick, I'd err on the side of caution and enforce the 48 hour rule.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM

If a child seems too tired or seems to be getting sick I don't send home the first time. I only treat symptoms so unless the child is actually sick I won't send home. If the child is continually lethargic and unable to participate I will call the parent and have done so. I allow the child back in the next day if there is no sickness....but will call again if need be.

My policy is when they are sick they must stay home for 24 hours after symptoms have passed. So 24 hours after last bout of diarrhea, or 24 hours after last vomit or last fever. This way kids are not coming in sick. Not all kids are fully recovered after 24/48 hours so for me 24 hours AFTER the LAST symptom works better for me. I also really encourage parents to call if they aren't sure and then I make a call based on what they are saying.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:25 AM

I would not send home for "unable to participate". I would put them to bed and monitor for other signs/symptoms of contagious illness. Fever must be sustained for 30+ minutes, forceful vomiting, productive cough, 2x diarrhea, etc.

I have that ability, though, and my State prefers we offer "mild ill" (common/trivial/non-life threatening childhood illness) care for the financial benefit of the entire family.

I started the 24/48 rule as a way to stop the dreaded dope/drop. 24 hours after the resolution of fever, etc. is the national standard, the "plus 24" is a stupid tax for getting caught medicating and lying about it.

Tags
24/48, dope and drop, dope; drop, exclusion policy, unable to participate