Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB 4.5 Still In Pull-Ups
lvt77 12:25 PM 02-03-2011
I have a 4.5 year old dcb that is still in pull-ups. I have talked to mom about it, no response. I have talked to G-ma about it, she says talk to mom. I have a lot of issues with this family and this is the tip of the ice that is about to break.
I asked that mom take him to his doc to see if there is something wrong, but she does not comply..... This week, DCM sent DCB in underwear and did not tell me. He pooped his pants and it went all over my DCR. I have carpet, so I had to scrub for hours on end. Tomorrow I am paying to have it professionally cleaned. It is in my PTP that child may not wear underwear to daycare until they have been accident free for at least 2 weeks and I have approved it...

What would you do? I am so mad that I dont think that I could make a clear decision. I just want to charge them for the carpet and term them but is that fair?
marniewon 12:41 PM 02-03-2011
If you have it in your handbook that they can't send in underwear without your permission, then they broke your contract. I would most definitely charge them for the carpet cleaning. If they hadn't broken your contract by sending dcb in underwear, there would have been no mess to clean. I would also tell them that they have [however many days] to get him fully trained (or a doc note saying why he shouldn't be) or you will have to let him go. If he is not special needs, then there is no reason for him not to be trained, except pure laziness on dcp's part!!! EWWWW.....GROSS....changing big kids is gross.

Editing to add: I just reread your post, and if you want to term immediately, that's well within your rights - they broke the contract. However, if you do term asap, don't expect to get the carpet cleaning fee. I would be so angry that I'd charge them, term asap and if they didn't pay the fee, I would still feel better to get rid of them!
DCMomOf3 12:45 PM 02-03-2011
What do parents like this expect Kindergarten teachers to do with their kid???

I would have a meeting with mom saying she has x-amount of weeks to get him FULLY potty trained or your services will no longer be available to that family. I am not sure what your contract states you can term over, but he is by far old enough to go to the bathroom on his own.
Live and Learn 12:51 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
If you have it in your handbook that they can't send in underwear without your permission, then they broke your contract. I would most definitely charge them for the carpet cleaning. If they hadn't broken your contract by sending dcb in underwear, there would have been no mess to clean. I would also tell them that they have [however many days] to get him fully trained (or a doc note saying why he shouldn't be) or you will have to let him go. If he is not special needs, then there is no reason for him not to be trained, except pure laziness on dcp's part!!! EWWWW.....GROSS....changing big kids is gross.
YUP!

How considerate of them to give you the opportunity to bring this issue to the top of your "to-do" list! Good heavens...I mean really who drps their kid off in undies for the first time and doesn't tell the dc provider!!

Be super duper sweet....but hey, they made this mess happen so they need to pay to clean it up.

Good luck.
lvt77 12:57 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
What do parents like this expect Kindergarten teachers to do with their kid???

I would have a meeting with mom saying she has x-amount of weeks to get him FULLY potty trained or your services will no longer be available to that family. I am not sure what your contract states you can term over, but he is by far old enough to go to the bathroom on his own.
I took him on with the impression that he was potty trained so this just adds fuel to the fire....
At this point I dont think that I care about getting the money for the carpet cleaning...I just want it over with... I was just wondering if I am allowed to term him for not being potty trained at this age or if I can demand that he has a doc note in record that states reasons why he still needs pull ups
jen 01:00 PM 02-03-2011
I would charge them for the carpet cleaning and, in addition, I would put them on a 30 day probationary period that the child becomes trained or you have a doctors note confirming a develomental delay.

Lazy-a**ed parents.

ps: I'm way crabby
DCMomOf3 01:02 PM 02-03-2011
What do you have in your contract for reasons to term? I have an out in mine for if the parent won't work with me. (See the red text)

My contract states a child may be discharged ffor reasons such as, but not limited to:
Failure to pay fees on time. (Grounds for immediate termination, without advance notice.)
Lack of parental cooperation.
Inability of childcare program to meet the needs of the child.
I will consult with the parent concerning how any problems might be solved before ending the care arrangement.

The parent will be referred to other community resources.

Repeated failure to pick up the child at scheduled time.
Failure to complete and return required forms.
Live and Learn 01:05 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I would charge them for the carpet cleaning and, in addition, I would put them on a 30 day probationary period that the child becomes trained or you have a doctors note confirming a develomental delay.

Lazy-a**ed parents.

Jen:
I don't think your comments are crabby. Crabby no, factual yes!

This child either

1) has delays that the parents have not addressed
Or
2) has lazy parents

IVT77- Jen's advice is good.....
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by jen:

Lazy-a**ed parents.

I agree!!! How can we expect children to learn to read and write WHILE they are learning to use the toilet?!?!?!?!? I am so tired of parents who allow their children to mess their pants after 3 years old! Schools and the media and all the other outside influences expect our children to be older and know more than previous generations yet we still allow our children to be immature when it comes to self-help skills. I have a 6 yr old who seriously cannot dress himself because his mother doesn't think he is capable yet and she isn't the least bit embarrassed to get down on the floor and fix his crooked socks, put his boots on and his jacket while her kid sits on the bench with his foot out and a smile on his face so she can do it all for him!!!!!! I will betcha a $100 she still wipes his tush at home too!!!!

Wow! I guess I must be crabby too~ LOL!!
lvt77 01:10 PM 02-03-2011
lmao you guys are great!! I know I am crabby as I just got back from the doc yesterday with a UTI...gggeeerrrrr.... This is why I needed to get advice on this becuase I dont want my bitterness to be the driving force of my decision. Now I guess the quesiton is how do I bring this up?
ugghh I need a backbone today too.... anyone have one I an borrow...boo on me
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 02-03-2011
Personally, I would go with the "your child needs more care or assistance than I am capable of providing..." I always say/write everything as if I am ONLY looing out for the best interest for the child and want to always do what is right for their care. It helps keep the issues non-confrontational and it is harder for a parent to get angy when you are only looking out for their child...kwim?
lvt77 01:20 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, I would go with the "your child needs more care or assistance than I am capable of providing..." I always say/write everything as if I am ONLY looing out for the best interest for the child and want to always do what is right for their care. It helps keep the issues non-confrontational and it is harder for a parent to get angy when you are only looking out for their child...kwim?
I see where you are coming from, but if i can change the 2 yr old diapers then I know the mom will ask why cant i change her sons?? Someone said something about getting into Age inappropriate intimacy???
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I see where you are coming from, but if i can change the 2 yr old diapers then I know the mom will ask why cant i change her sons?? Someone said something about getting into Age inappropriate intimacy???
You can change the littles diapers because you are limited on the number of them you can have. I bet if all kids were in diapers until 4.5 there is no way we would be allowed to have as many kids that age as we do now....so my theory still applies...he needs more care/assistance than you can provide.
lvt77 01:30 PM 02-03-2011
lol I really see your point the issue is that I only have 1 other child in diapers here and she is 20 months old. I potty trained the rest of them 2.5-4.5 is my age group. He is the only one not trained.
Blackcat31 02:16 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
lol I really see your point the issue is that I only have 1 other child in diapers here and she is 20 months old. I potty trained the rest of them 2.5-4.5 is my age group. He is the only one not trained.
Then I would simply term due to dcp not working wihtyou and observing your polices. It is DISGUSTING to change a 4 yr olds diaper vs a toddler. I would raise my rates for a non-trained 4 yr old.
lvt77 02:20 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Then I would simply term due to dcp not working wihtyou and observing your polices. It is DISGUSTING to change a 4 yr olds diaper vs a toddler. I would raise my rates for a non-trained 4 yr old.
I think this is the route that I will take... the DCM has been advoiding me due to all of the issues and has been having her mom or gma pick up dcb... I have tried calling her all week, but no return calls...
I am going to term.... thanks for helping me decide....and I did it even though I am grumpy...lol
Mrs.Ky 03:06 PM 02-03-2011
I feel bad for you that you have to change a 4 year olds diaper YUCKY because the parents are to dang lazy. I'm teaching my 3 year old girl how to wipe her own bum after using the pot she has been trained since she was 1. I dont even take kids 3 or older who are not trained. I think these ladies gave you great advice pretty much tell DCP to get off her lazy (beep) and train her kid or to find someone else to change her 4 year old and good luck with that but not in those words lazy parents bug me.
lvt77 03:25 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
I feel bad for you that you have to change a 4 year olds diaper YUCKY because the parents are to dang lazy. I'm teaching my 3 year old girl how to wipe her own bum after using the pot she has been trained since she was 1. I dont even take kids 3 or older who are not trained. I think these ladies gave you great advice pretty much tell DCP to get off her lazy (beep) and train her kid or to find someone else to change her 4 year old and good luck with that but not in those words lazy parents bug me.
So I called the dad cuz mom was not returning my calls. I told them that I felt uncomfortable changing his diaper as his age and that we needed to work together to resolve the issue by Feb 20th. I just threw that out there...lol I tolod them that if they dont get me a doc note stating why then i will not contiue either... So they have to have the doc note and get him on board or bye-bye....

The dad only responded ....................................... so ummm ok.. HELLOOOOO ARE YOU THERE??

Oh I also told them that my carpets are soiled cuz of dcb and that they are being cleaned tomorrow so they wont have all day care as they planned tomorrow.... I didnt have the nerve to ask them to pay for it....
Lets see what happens
Reply Up