Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Healthcare Insurance
mac60 12:18 PM 11-16-2009
Do any of you providers buy your own health insurance. We are losing our health insurance in a couple months due to hubby's job loss, and I have been frantically searching and so far haven't came up with much that is affordable, without a $20,000 deductible. It will be for 2 adults and 2 college kids. I hate the thought of being without.
tinytotzdaycare 01:24 PM 11-16-2009
Sorry I cant help you, if my hubby didnt have excellent health insurance I wouldnt be able to do childcare. I know this is a huge problem for many providers and I look forward to hearing the ideas.

I wish you the best of luck Mac60..this economy is hurting so many.
mac60 02:48 PM 11-16-2009
We have never been without insurance, hubby always carried it, but he lost his job 6 weeks ago because he had been with the company 40 years and they got rid of all the people with lots of seniority. Age discrimination big time.
tinytotzdaycare 05:58 PM 11-16-2009
Im sorry to hear that, seems like many companies are doing that to long time employees to cut wages. I wish you and your family the best of luck..I hope someone on here has some ideas for this topic, I am interested to see what others are doing in this situation.
Unregistered 06:27 PM 11-16-2009
If you have a daycare union in your area, try talking to their rep. We can now get really good Insurance through our union, which is AFSME, The most you have to pay is $90 a month and it covers pre-existing conditions
jen 06:35 PM 11-16-2009
Hey Mac, I don't know where you are at, but in many areas you can buy insurance through the state. I live in Minnesota and when my husband lost his job we were able to purchase insurance that way. It is much, much less expensive.

Good luck!
Chickenhauler 11:14 PM 11-16-2009
How much is your COBRA?

Under the 2009 Bailout program, you could only be responsible for 35% of the full premium.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/COBRA.html

If that won't work, look into a HSA plan.....I know a 5k deductible sounds high, but if you have something major (transplant, heart issue, major trauma, etc), it's better to be stuck with a $5k tab than 20% of a million dollar tab.
mac60 02:34 AM 11-17-2009
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I am not aware of any program in Ohio, but I will check that out.
There is no dc unions here.
Thanks for the link, but it says it is only until Dec 2009.
jen 08:46 AM 11-17-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I am not aware of any program in Ohio, but I will check that out.
There is no dc unions here.
Thanks for the link, but it says it is only until Dec 2009.
I hope that they have soemthing for you...and I hope that soon every state will have the same opportunities for health care that we and several other states enjoy.
Unregistered 03:58 PM 11-25-2009
I live in PA. I have a family daycare in my home. I pay $75 the 1 st year and $35 a year dues after that to join my local business chambers of commerce. I go thru them for a insurance plan for my family. It is as reasonable as the one my husband got when he worked.
Good luck.
Wejo928
Unregistered 10:21 AM 12-07-2009
I tried to go through my local chamber of commerce and they wanted $780 some dollars per month for my self and my son. Good luck. I am still trying to get insurance.
mac60 01:59 AM 12-08-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I tried to go through my local chamber of commerce and they wanted $780 some dollars per month for my self and my son. Good luck. I am still trying to get insurance.
They never acknowledged my email....guess I am not good enough for them.
SimpleMom 10:11 AM 12-21-2009
Hey there! I found a great resource for insurance in general. I looked at redleafinstitute.org and found some helpful information. The lowest deductible I found for one adult and two children was $5000.00 and the cost was about $288.00 per month.

Good luck on your search!
Tags:afsme, health insurance
Reply Up