Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Put Everything Up Out of Reach
sahm2three 03:39 PM 07-07-2010
or teach a child "no touch"? I have a few things, pretties as I call them, that are on my entertainment center. The bottom 4 shelves, 2 on either side, are full of kid stuff. The one above on either side starts with my stuff. There is nothing that can hurt the child if they take it down, but not really something I want them playing with. So, do I just put them up or do I keep redirecting and telling the toddler "no"? The child I am talking about is 20 months. With my own children I kept things where I wanted them and taught them to not touch mommies pretties, but the dcb in question is completely attracted to anything that is not a toy. Also, the parents have started using time outs and have asked me to do the same at daycare. I haven't usually started time outs until they are 2 or over. What are your thoughts there?
nannyde 03:56 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
or teach a child "no touch"? I have a few things, pretties as I call them, that are on my entertainment center. The bottom 4 shelves, 2 on either side, are full of kid stuff. The one above on either side starts with my stuff. There is nothing that can hurt the child if they take it down, but not really something I want them playing with. So, do I just put them up or do I keep redirecting and telling the toddler "no"? The child I am talking about is 20 months. With my own children I kept things where I wanted them and taught them to not touch mommies pretties, but the dcb in question is completely attracted to anything that is not a toy. Also, the parents have started using time outs and have asked me to do the same at daycare. I haven't usually started time outs until they are 2 or over. What are your thoughts there?
Everything the children can touch is safe for them. I do have things that they can't have in the room without asking. I don't allow them to get out things with multiple pieces or things that require a big clean up or adult supervised clean up without permission.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:21 AM 07-08-2010
I don't have anything down in reach except my electronics (DVD player, game cube, TV, ect.).
Pammie 06:55 AM 07-08-2010
I don't have treasured breakables where little ones can reach them, but I do have some photographs in frames on end tables including a digital picture frame that the kids love to look at. I do work with the children NOT to touch, but just to look with their eyes.

Same philosophy that I had raising my own children - - children need to learn that not everything within their reach is to be touched, and not everywhere they go is going to be child-proofed before they get there...so they need to learn boundaries. Same philosophy with gates on stairs...I don't use them, I don't need to. There is a boundary there that I teach the children, that even though there's not a physical barrier, there's still a boundary....they simply don't go on the stairs. So when these children go visit grandma, aunt Sue or to a public place that has stairs, they've already learned that that's somewhere they don't go.
tymaboy 06:55 AM 07-08-2010
I teach them not to touch. If it is not theirs then they dont touch. I have a shelf with DVDs, picture frames & other stuff that they learn do not touch. I also teach them not to touch the TV stand - glass doors (got tired of cleaning all the time) it also has the DVD player plus then they are not temped to touch the TV either.

I did not baby proof my house when my DS was young & refuse to do it for the DC. I really have not had an issue with the kids learning what their boundries are at my house.
Golden Rule 07:03 AM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I don't have treasured breakables where little ones can reach them. I do work with the children NOT to touch, but just to look with their eyes.
I do the same. I even have little toys around (out of date McDonalds toys from the 80's) that they cannot break, but are supposed to leave alone. I look at it as part of their civics lessons everyday. I did the same with my kids... I just slowly move up to the real stuff...

"If it does not belong to you, ask first."
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:36 AM 07-08-2010
The 4 year old boy I am terminating touches a lot of things that I have told hime not to over and over and over again. It gets under my skin as he should know better by now. He has had time out after time out for touching my electronic devices.

So what do you do with those that you try to teach and just won't listen? I know this stems from his home because I can sence he doesn't have much boundaries when his mom picks up. But I have been firm and strict on touching certain things and he STILL does it 6 weeks later. I don't have to worry about it after tomorrow as it's my last day with him, just curious what you do with these stubborn kids.
tymaboy 11:09 AM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
The 4 year old boy I am terminating touches a lot of things that I have told hime not to over and over and over again. It gets under my skin as he should know better by now. He has had time out after time out for touching my electronic devices.

So what do you do with those that you try to teach and just won't listen? I know this stems from his home because I can sence he doesn't have much boundaries when his mom picks up. But I have been firm and strict on touching certain things and he STILL does it 6 weeks later. I don't have to worry about it after tomorrow as it's my last day with him, just curious what you do with these stubborn kids.
The 1 dcb I had was much like this. I knew he did not have boundries at home & every week I had to start all over with him. After awhile I would not let him with in arms reach of the tv stand. When he got close I told him to back up he did not need to be that close to the tv. That seemed to have worked better then telling him not to touch.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:56 AM 07-09-2010
I just say no touch, no touch,.. ove rand over. They have plenty they can touch, they also have some they cant.
Chickenhauler 04:23 PM 07-09-2010
It is a wise decision to move/remove anything that could be a danger, easily broken, or a hazard to children up out of their reach.

As for kids that won't follow the rules, the corner is a lonely, dull place to spend the majority of the day. Give them a time out, let them loose, they do it again, put them back in time out.

We have two boys in our care that honestly spend 1/3 of their day in time out after a long weekend.

Kinda makes me lose all hope for humanity in a way, even my dog learned not to crap on the rug after the first couple times I scolded her for it.
Tags:out of reach
Reply Up