Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ADVICE Regarding Peanut Allergies
Rudy0003 08:57 AM 01-30-2012
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I am a daycare provider (out of my home) for 3 little boys. One of the boys was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy last Friday and I am nervous about it. I normally provide all meals and snacks for the children but am concerned about his peanut allergy.

I asked his mom if she could start bringing his snacks and lunch every day now that he has this allergy and she seemed irritated by it. She said it would be a hassle because she doesn't have time and doesn't cook. I couldn't believe how little she seemed to care about her son! You'd think she would want to protect him!

Anyway, I am insisting she bring ALL his food from now on. Is this ok? I have 3 children of my own who are in school all day so my house is NOT a peanut free zone and it won't be.

Questions:
1. Is it ok to ask her to bring all of his food?
2. Should I have her sign some type of agreement that she will bring it?
3. Should I have her sign anything (to cover my butt) in case something happens?

Thanks!!!

Jennifer
momofboys 09:41 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Rudy0003:
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I am a daycare provider (out of my home) for 3 little boys. One of the boys was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy last Friday and I am nervous about it. I normally provide all meals and snacks for the children but am concerned about his peanut allergy.

I asked his mom if she could start bringing his snacks and lunch every day now that he has this allergy and she seemed irritated by it. She said it would be a hassle because she doesn't have time and doesn't cook. I couldn't believe how little she seemed to care about her son! You'd think she would want to protect him!

Anyway, I am insisting she bring ALL his food from now on. Is this ok? I have 3 children of my own who are in school all day so my house is NOT a peanut free zone and it won't be.

Questions:
1. Is it ok to ask her to bring all of his food?
2. Should I have her sign some type of agreement that she will bring it?
3. Should I have her sign anything (to cover my butt) in case something happens?

Thanks!!!

Jennifer
As the mom of a child (SA) who does have a peanut allergy I am surprised that the mom's attitude is so nochalant. I would insist she bring her own food but you do need to be concerned about people in your house who consume peanut products. I would make sure SHE gives you the protocol that the dr has written up for how to react in case the child has a problem. My son needs written directions signed by the dr at school every year. You also need to have an Epipen at your home & be shown how to use it in case there is a problem or he has a reaction.
Ariana 09:42 AM 01-30-2012
I assume the child has an epi pen? Do you know how to use it? This is the most important thing you need to know. Either get the mom to show you or attend a class.

It's actually pretty easy to eliminate peanuts from your home and buy foods without peanuts. Even if she's providing the food you won't be able to serve peanuts or things with peanuts to the other kids. Peanut allergies are very serious and even smelling it can cause a reaction. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me so I'd just eliminate it altogether. For example if you fed your child peanut butter toast in the morning you'd have to make sure he brushed his teeth and washed his hands thoroughly before touching anything in your house. You'd also have to wash everything on the table that the PB touched etc. You have t be very careful as the oil is very toxic.
countrymom 09:44 AM 01-30-2012
first, you need to find out what kind of allergy it is. Is it a peanut or tree nut allergie. What happens if he eats it, touches it, smells it.
Its not hard to have a peanut free zone. Just don't serve anything with peanuts or touch it. Its even rare we eat anything with peanuts here (and we have no one allergic, just my choice) are you giving her a discount because she's bringing her own food.
Rudy0003 09:47 AM 01-30-2012
Thanks. Should I have them sign a release of liability in case something happens?

Do daycare providers normally have these for accidents or allergies, etc..???
BigMama 10:03 AM 01-30-2012
One of my DCB's was diagnosed with a peanut allergy this past fall. I did the following to accommodate him:
-We no longer serve peanut or peanut products. Instead of peanut butter we serve sunflower butter.
-I had DCB's mom bring in a plate, bowl, cup, and utensils that are strictly for DCB. This is to help ensure that there is no cross-contamination.
-We already have a "no outside food" rule but I put a "peanut-free zone" on my door to remind everyone that they cannot bring nut products inside and that if their child had peanuts before daycare they must immediately wash their hands and brush their teeth.
-My own children still eat peanut butter outside of daycare hours. We keep the peanut butter in a separate cupboard. We use disposable knives when serving it so they can immediately be tossed away. Any surface that peanuts/peanut butter were served on are immediately disinfected.
-We have a separate jelly jar for daycare so there is no cross-contamination.
-DCB does have an EpiPen at daycare at all times. His mother and I also have an emergency plan written out so we are in agreement about what I will do if he does have an allergic reaction.
-I check and double check all labels. If I am not sure I check with his mom and/or don't serve the food. When I first heard that he was allergic to peanuts I thought it would be extremely difficult to go nut-free. With all of the awareness, information, and products available now, it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be.
Because your DCB is so newly diagnosed, his mom may not be aware of how serious peanut allergies can be. I would definitely sit down with her and discuss a plan. Part of the plan should include a note from the doctor indicating how an allergic reaction should be handled.
MsMe 10:10 AM 01-30-2012
I haven't read all of the responces yet (I will later) but I want to reply very quicky..

My youngest brother has a PB allergy and I have one DCB who also has a sensitivity.

If you are not willingto go PB FREE in your home then I you need to terminate services. PB allergies are not always just from ingesting peanuts, touching and even smelling pb can cause a DEADLY reaction.
Ariana 10:14 AM 01-30-2012
Thanks. Should I have them sign a release of liability in case something happens?

I'm not 100% sure but even if she were to sign something you could still be held liable if you were aware of his allergy and he was exposed to the substance. Maybe someone else can comment on this.....

I don't have any parents sign this for allergy or accident reasons. I'm not sure how valid they are in court.
REWALKER04 11:02 AM 01-30-2012
I agree you will probably have to go peanut free in your house because of it. And if its not that sensitive of an allergy that the parent doesnt think you need to do that then I think you should give her a discount if she is providing all of her own food!
momma2girls 11:06 AM 01-30-2012
I would insist on her bringing everything for the child. It is such a HUGE risk these days. There are some that are deathly allergic to anything touching, breathing in, etc. with peanuts!! If you look at labels of every snack, many, many are labeled made on lines with peanut products. The co. has to protect themselves. It is not fun, when you are actually looking at labels on everything!!
MsMe 11:11 AM 01-30-2012

Please realize that an "accident' regarding a peanut allergy = DEATH in many cases.

If you are not going to take ALL nessicary steps to make your daycare a safe place for him then PLEASE PLEASE do not risk his life.

*I am in no way say you HAVE to make any changes you don't want to to. If you want to keep PB in your program it is completly up to you, I just don't recomend that you possibly risk the life of your DCB. A PB free program is not for everyone.
Meeko 11:14 AM 01-30-2012
Ask the mom how severe the allergy is. I once had a child who was allergic to peanuts, but only if he ingested them. The child next to him could eat peanut butter and it wouldn't cause a reaction.

He once reached out and took a bite off another child's plate (he was 18 months old!) His outer mouth area got red and splotchy, but that was all. But it scared me. What if he had been deathly allergic? Kids are quick and he grabbed the food before I could stop him.

I was more than willing to serve him something different....but to be honest, I would not take a child who had a severe allergy. I could not guarantee that other kids wouldn't come with peanut butter on their clothes, in their mouth etc. and I couldn't count on the parents to tell me if they had just had any nuts.

Too much of a risk for me to be willing to take.
momma2girls 11:25 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Ask the mom how severe the allergy is. I once had a child who was allergic to peanuts, but only if he ingested them. The child next to him could eat peanut butter and it wouldn't cause a reaction.

He once reached out and took a bite off another child's plate (he was 18 months old!) His outer mouth area got red and splotchy, but that was all. But it scared me. What if he had been deathly allergic? Kids are quick and he grabbed the food before I could stop him.

I was more than willing to serve him something different....but to be honest, I would not take a child who had a severe allergy. I could not guarantee that other kids wouldn't come with peanut butter on their clothes, in their mouth etc. and I couldn't count on the parents to tell me if they had just had any nuts.

I feel the same way and I am a nurse. I have peanut butter in the house, and who knows what others could come in with, have it on their breath, etc. way too much liability for me- I once has someone call me on a fructose allergy- this little girl couldn't have any fructose at all. I told her I was so sorry, but I couldn't take on that huge liability.
Daycaremomof2 11:26 AM 01-30-2012
My policies state that any children with a food allergy must bring their own food, no exceptions.

You don't want to be the one making that 911 call- don't let the mom bully you into it, because I promise you if something happens, you will be the first one to be blamed.
saved4always 11:28 AM 01-30-2012
My daughter who is 9 years old has a peanut allergy. The first time she had a peanut butter cracker that my friend gave her. She had a few hives on the trunk of her body. Each time she has had something with peanuts in it, she has a worse reaction. The last one was a few years ago when she had one bite of a cookie with peanut butter in it. Her lips swelled, she has trouble breathing, she vomited, and she got hives all over her body. We ended up at the hospital where they gave her epinephrin. Luckily, she only seems to be affected if she eats a food that actually contains peanuts or peanut butter as an ingredient. She doesn't react to foods that have been produced in a facility that processes peanut product.

A peanut allergy is very serious. My daughter has an epipen here at home as well as at school. They have to take the epipen on field trips. There is a form I have to fill out for the school each year on which pediatrician details what the school should do in case my daughter has a peanut reaction. If the doctor prescribed an epipen, the parents should bring you one, too, in case he has a reaction. And, if you use it, you are supposed to take the child to the ER as a precaution. I would also not even serve peanut products like peanut butter if I were you. It does not take a large amount of peanuts to have a reaction. I do not serve any peanut products to my dck's even thought my daughter is at school when they are here. I do not even want to take the chance that they may smear peanut butter on something my daughter touches and then puts her hand to her mouth. Once you see the reaction that happens when a child has as a result of eating peanuts, you'll do anything to prevent it happening again.

Oh...and I would tell the other parents about the allergy, too. I once had an older dcg give my daughter a piece of candy that had peanuts in it. This was right after I found out she was allergic...luckily, my daughter did not eat it.
Ariana 11:31 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

I would also caution that often times being able to ingest a substance with a slight reaction can be the beginning stage of a severe reaction. Eventhough a child isn't severely allergic he could develop a severe allergy to it at any time. This is often the time when it is most fatal because there are no epi pens and no one is expecting it. We were very versed in allergic reactions when I worked at a centre. All of this stuff was told to us by a pediatric allergist. This is why so many places just go "peanut free". It's pretty scary stuff My advice would be to request an epi pen no matter what.
saved4always 11:38 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would also caution that often times being able to ingest a substance with a slight reaction can be the beginning stage of a severe reaction. Eventhough a child isn't severely allergic he could develop a severe allergy to it at any time. This is often the time when it is most fatal because there are no epi pens and no one is expecting it. We were very versed in allergic reactions when I worked at a centre. All of this stuff was told to us by a pediatric allergist. This is why so many places just go "peanut free". It's pretty scary stuff My advice would be to request an epi pen no matter what.
Yes...each time a child ingests peanuts when they have a peanut allergy, the reaction gets worse. That was the case for my daughter. It is not an allergy that kids seem to outgrow. If he has a peanut allergy, I would insist that she bring you an epipen. It only takes a little bit to cause a reaction.
Sunchimes 12:41 PM 01-30-2012
I have a toddler with a peanut allergy. I went peanut free and all of the other parents know we have a peanut allergy.

One word of caution, peanuts hide in unexpected places. I provide her food, because I'm the only one in my house who eats PB, and I gave it up when I got her. There hasn't been PB in my house since last July.

But, I have to read every single label. She was here for dinner the other night and I was going to make shake n' bake chicken using a store brand coating. While it was cooking, I remembered to look at the box and it was made in a plant that processed peanut products. When we eat lunch out, I have to ask if they use peanut oil. We took her to the State Fair and she couldn't have a corny dog because they use peanut oil. I have a cabinet for my day care food, and I know that everything on that shelf is ok. If I fix something not on that shelf, I've trained myself to read the labels.

This one is also allergic to milk and eggs. She seems to have outgrown the egg problem, and milk products are ok. She can have yogurt and cheese and butter. We hope she will outgrow the milk part soon. My little sister did.
SandeeAR 12:54 PM 01-30-2012
If I ever have a child in my care, develop peanut allergies, I sadly, would have to give them up. I am type II diabetic. Peanut butter is a staple in my diet. When my sugar drops, I head for the peanut butter. I have it in various forms in my home, crackers, granola bars and from the jar. My health would come first. It just wouldn't be safe for a peanut allergy child to be in my home.
WImom 01:11 PM 01-30-2012
I have a peanut Allergy DCB and a Tree Nut Allergy DCG here. They are both mild allergy's though. I just don't serve anything made with any nuts or processed on equipment with nuts. (Both parents are okay if it's process on equipment with nuts but I just don't want to take that chance).
I also made all the parents aware and remind them when they offer to bring treats. We use Soynut butter for anything that normally would call for peanut butter.

I do have my dc seperated from my house otherwise I don't think I could do it. I LOVE peanut butter!
MsMe 01:30 PM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have a peanut Allergy DCB and a Tree Nut Allergy DCG here. They are both mild allergy's though. I just don't serve anything made with any nuts or processed on equipment with nuts. (Both parents are okay if it's process on equipment with nuts but I just don't want to take that chance).
I also made all the parents aware and remind them when they offer to bring treats. We use Soynut butter for anything that normally would call for peanut butter.

I do have my dc seperated from my house otherwise I don't think I could do it. I LOVE peanut butter!
Where do you get your soy nut butter? I used to get a walmart brand with an orange lid, but they stopped making it

I have been PB free for 13 years. The smell of PB actually really bothers me now and I can pick it up from amile away. My boyfriend loves pb and as I am even pb free at home (so my brother has a safe enviroment to visit) I would like to get him some more.
momma2girls 07:01 AM 01-31-2012
I once had an older girl with a milk allergy for the summer only. It was very hard!! I don't know if I would ever do that again!! She was deathly allergic to all milk products!! She has to sit at a seperate table in the lunch room at school, she has had milk accidentally spilled on her, and she instantly needs her epi pen given to her. She will stop breathing, has done it before. Way too much risk involved.
SunshineMama 07:32 AM 01-31-2012
I was eating cereal this morning and read the side of the box, that said my peanut free cereal was made in the same place where peanuts and soy are processed.

i thought about your post, and how, if you provide food for a child with a peanut allergy, how stressful that would be. You would literally have to read every single label of every item in your house and police everything. I wouldn't go through that, personally.
KDC 08:12 AM 01-31-2012
My son has a peanut allergy (not tree nuts). His is only a 1.2 on a 5 point scale, with 5 being the worst. If he gets peanut butter on his skin, a hive may appear and Benedryl will need to be administered. If he eats it, well... it's only happened once and he broke out in hives and Benedryl took care of it, but there's no guarantee of what will happen as others have said it could be worse the second time around. I'm a licensed daycare provider, & my son is around peanut butter, but I'm his Mom... I can make sure everyone around him has washed their hands & I use special plates/cups to avoid cross contamination. It's worked for me for the past 1.5 years. I probably would have a peanut free zone if it were another DCK.

His parents may have reacted the way they did because, he may have a 'slight' allergy. Where anything processed or made on same equipment may NOT give him a reaction. They're probably not negligent parents... but may be a bit naive to what is at risk. It's such a common allergy, I felt the Dr.'s assumed a lot during the consultation. I needed to ask they he be tested so I could be sure it was just peanuts & so that I could asses the severity.

If you're not willing to make the changes to keep it a safe environment (which, I understand ... it's not easy -- not judging!) but it would probably be best to let them go. Cost benefit analysis 101... Is keeping a full-time child on the roster worth going peanut free? If the answer is NO... might be time to have the difficult conversation.

My son realizes at 2.5 years old that peanut butter makes him sick. His brother can have something he can't, but he gets grilled cheese and he's more than fine with that. Everything else on the plate would be identical. I can't imagine how the kids would react if someone else brought their own food and had a yummy yogurt with crumbled oreo's, and chips while they had cottage cheese and rice cakes. Just thinking about it makes my blood pressure rise!!

Good Luck!
WImom 11:24 AM 01-31-2012
MsMe - I get it at Woodmans. Not sure where your at but you probably don't have one unless your in WI/Il.

The brand I get is: I.M. Healthy Unsweetened Creamy Soynut Butter
You can order it online places too.
KDC 04:29 PM 01-31-2012
This is a soy butter that used to be at Walmart... Great reviews and kids LOVE It... tastes like the real stuff=)

http://www.amazon.com/Clown-Gysin-Bu.../dp/B001EPQMMK A little more expensive than JIF though
Ariana 04:57 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I was eating cereal this morning and read the side of the box, that said my peanut free cereal was made in the same place where peanuts and soy are processed.

i thought about your post, and how, if you provide food for a child with a peanut allergy, how stressful that would be. You would literally have to read every single label of every item in your house and police everything. I wouldn't go through that, personally.
My friends kid has a peanut allergy and she has to call the companies and ask how they clean their machines in between production lines. It's pretty intense!
Sunchimes 06:21 PM 01-31-2012
[quote=SunshineMama;191975

i thought about your post, and how, if you provide food for a child with a peanut allergy, how stressful that would be. You would literally have to read every single label of every item in your house and police everything. I wouldn't go through that, personally.[/QUOTE]

That's what I do. I have a bookcase in my kitchen for peanut-free dc food. Nothing goes on those shelves until I've read the labels. If it is on that shelf, I know it is safe. In the refrigerator, I have some plastic bins for DC things. If things are in the yellow bins, they are safe. Hubby knows the rules and is very careful in the kitchen. I spend a lot of time in the store squinting at labels.

Even with all that, she had dinner with us last week. This isn't unheard of but isn't common either. Without even thinking, I fixed that chicken and was almost ready to serve it before I realized that I hadn't read the label.

We don't know if she has tree nut allergies. She hasn't been tested for them yet, so I don't take any chances.

Do you know how many places don't seem to know if they use peanut oil when they cook? I don't know how many restaurants couldn't tell me. It's weird.
Crazy8 07:14 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
If I ever have a child in my care, develop peanut allergies, I sadly, would have to give them up. I am type II diabetic. Peanut butter is a staple in my diet. When my sugar drops, I head for the peanut butter. I have it in various forms in my home, crackers, granola bars and from the jar. My health would come first. It just wouldn't be safe for a peanut allergy child to be in my home.
same here, minus the diabetes. I would not be willing to make that drastic a change in my household for a daycare child and would unfortunately terminate services. God forbid another child even came in after having PB on toast for breakfast - you just never know and I am not willing to take that risk.
MsMe 07:27 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by KDC:
This is a soy butter that used to be at Walmart... Great reviews and kids LOVE It... tastes like the real stuff=)

http://www.amazon.com/Clown-Gysin-Bu.../dp/B001EPQMMK A little more expensive than JIF though
THANK YOU!!! I don't know if you saw my earlier post but I was just talking about the soy nut butter they used to have at Walmart!!!

Thank you!!!!!!
MsMe 07:51 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
same here, minus the diabetes. I would not be willing to make that drastic a change in my household for a daycare child and would unfortunately terminate services. God forbid another child even came in after having PB on toast for breakfast - you just never know and I am not willing to take that risk.
It isnt very hard for me since I have been doing it for 13 years, but I have had children come in the AM with PB on clothes, mouth, hands from their breakfast...like I said before I can smell PB from a mile away and it has thankfully been 'caught' each time. I have also had parents 'forget' and bring a snack to share that is PB. I send it home and remind them of the severity of the reaction it could cause.

I also tell parents the story of what my little brother went through when starting school.

MANY parents were TERRIBLE when they heard that he would be attending school and it would be peanut free. They called and threaten my family and spread pb on the playground......it was awfull. All stated that their children would ONLY eat PB sandwiches and it was unfair to take away that option.

A few weeks into school many children started to understand (kindergardeners) that if they brought PB in their lunches they couldn't play with my brother, they started asking their parents for a DIFFERENT lunch option so they could play with their new friend.

Children can sometimes be our best teachers. As they started to understand how much it could hurt their friend they very easily changed their lunches and we kind, considerate, and carefull of their new friend. Something their parents were not willing or said that their children would never do. It was the children in my community that taught the parents how to change and execpt my brother.

His closest friends have PB free homes so he can safely stay there (not every friend just three or so). ALL his frends are carefull of what they bring around or eat before they get together, and I hope he can continue to surround himself with people as kind and considerate as these amazing kids he met in school.

I tell this story because some people don't understand how a small change in their life can keep a child SAFE and ALIVE. You only have to change to the extent you want to be involved in a person with an allergies life. And if you don't want to or can't then it is important that you not risk being in their life at all.

We all have a place in this world.

itlw8 08:10 AM 02-01-2012
truthfully her bringing the food will not solve the problem If the child has a severe allergy either you go peanut free or the parent finds other arrangements.

I have no peanut allergies but I do have a child with strawberry allergies and one with cinnamon allergy. I read labels before serving anything

I also have a sign posted on the door of all allergies and one in the kitchen. It reminds everyone that may bring in food.

It really becomes much easier as you do it. My children had milk allergies, and a friend can not have wheat. You just learn to think ahead and read ALL labels even products you have been using in the past as they change products all the time.

I would be irritated if all my provider would do is say bring all my own food. That would not keep my child safe.
Tags:peanut butter allergy
Reply Up