Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those That Go Outside
Country Kids 03:11 PM 02-15-2012
We seem to have a easier time going outside in the summer but really, really can't seem to manage it any other time of the year!

For those that do go outside how do you do it. Some of you have said you are outside all morning, some 3 hours, etc. The most we might be able to do would be like an hour!

I would spend the whole morning outside but it just doesn't seem to work. What holds us up-snack,diaper changes, potty times. The earliest we could be outside would be almost like 10:00! Then in about an hour we have to treck back inside to get ready for lunch.

If anyone could give me some ideas that would be wonderful!
LittleD 03:27 PM 02-15-2012
An hour is better then nothing! Up here in the north, we spend 30 mins getting snow suits on, and half that out side Sometimes just as long, but rarely!

The only advice I have, is try to move some of your activities around, and take what you can get! Don't forget, a lot of people on here are from all over, the weather is nicer (ie NO snow) so that cuts down prep time to go out.

If the weather is nicer there, you can have snack time outside, that way you ca feel like you are enjoying more outside time.
JenNJ 03:32 PM 02-15-2012
We spend hours outside when it is nice weather. Here are a few tips that I have learned over the years to make the job of getting out easier.

1. Enforce the "child arrives ready" rule. Clean diapers, breakfast in belly, proper outdoor clothing including sunglasses and hats.
2. Have parents apply sunblock prior to arrival. If the kids come without, parents must apply it before they leave. ALL YEAR ROUND.
3. Keep the kids shoes on when they first arrive. Take out one type of toy (train table, blocks, etc) All kids must play ONLY this until I am ready to march them outside.
4. Try crock pot lunches or casseroles. These can be prepped before arrival and cook while we do other things. No real meal prep in the late morning. It cooks while we are outside!
5. Bring out a portable changing pad and diapering supplies (including gloves), everyone's water bottles, and hand sanitizing wipes. Only go inside for emergencies.
6. If you have newly potty trained kids, I suggest bringing a potty outside as well. This worked so well last summer!
7. Bring out snack. Use hand sanitizing wipes before snack. A small cooler is great for keeping water and snacks cool when it is warm outside.
8. Have a relaxing area. A shaded comfy spot for kids to take a break. Remind them to rest once in a while.
nannyde 03:49 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We seem to have a easier time going outside in the summer but really, really can't seem to manage it any other time of the year!

For those that do go outside how do you do it. Some of you have said you are outside all morning, some 3 hours, etc. The most we might be able to do would be like an hour!

I would spend the whole morning outside but it just doesn't seem to work. What holds us up-snack,diaper changes, potty times. The earliest we could be outside would be almost like 10:00! Then in about an hour we have to treck back inside to get ready for lunch.

This thread reminded me of the sprinkler thread.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...rinkler&page=2

I have to agree that I personally know my own parents wouldn't be happy with their children stuck inside when it is nice outside.

How do your parents feel about you guys being inside when it's nice outside in the winter? Are they upset when they come and realize you have been inside each day?

This is what mime look like: http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=142470737

I have identical head to toe gear for each of them that is put away in "packs" and then each kids pack is pulled for a quick layered dress. Having identical clothing that is high quality and fits is the key for me to do outdoor winter. We've had a really nice winter here. I think we have missed maybe four or five days total. Other than that they go out every day for a walk. It was BEAUTIFUL today. I think it was in the mid forties.

We go out between 20 and 80 and that includes the heat index or the wind chill.
AfterSchoolMom 04:23 PM 02-15-2012
Is it really cold in your area? Can you eat snack outside?
PitterPatter 04:30 PM 02-15-2012

Since my yard is always wet or damp with rain or snow I take the kids for walks. I was having a lot of problems with mud/dirt getting in my carpet but I still want the kids to get fresh air and outdoor exercise so we go for a good walk when it's not raining. We aren't even out for an hour. I think an hour is plenty in winter. They just need to get some fresh is all. I was so desperate at 1 point we just stayed on my porch because it was always raining.
Country Kids 04:30 PM 02-15-2012
We really don't have nice weather till the afternoon and then everyone is starting to back up and get ready to go home.

Most mornings/days its cold and rainy. When the wind blows it feels like its coming right off of the snow yet we don't have any snow around us.

Last night they were calling for snow turning to rain. All it did here was rain!

Last month we did have snow on MLK day. Then it turned to rain and I mean rain! One town received 10 inches in a 24 hour period. I believe we had 5. Its either pouring where you have to have your windshield wipers on full speed or just that messy mist.

Today it was very sunny at pickup and one of the dads insisted a little one get their coat on. I asked if it was cold out and he said that it was freezing out! This is a guy that spends lots of time outside running, hiking, working outdoors. He said it was that miserable cold with a bad wind.

Also, my parents want children to have preschool time. So with trying to do that (which I do enjoy) and getting outside something has to go. Potty time, snack, nap or lunch-still trying to decide which one-
melskids 04:14 AM 02-16-2012
I think, as far as fitting it all in, you have to choose what you believe to be right for you and your program.

My parents, and anyone new enrolling know how I feel about play based curriculum and getting outside. That's the priority. Anyone who doesnt accept that is not a good fit here.
Meyou 04:59 AM 02-16-2012
I spend alot of time outside with my crew normally. But in the depths of winter I'm content if I can get them out for a good walk in the morning and 45-60 minutes in the afternoon. I would like more and stay out whenever weather permits but it gets nasty here so I adapt. I find a good 30 minute walk with the littles taking turns walking next to the wagon is just as effective for outside time as an hour or two in the yard.

Monday they wanted to come in after 10 minutes (which is rare) so we went in. But yesterday was lovely so we stayed out for 1.5 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours in the afternoon. It all balances out IMO. With the weather I get in Canada I just feel I have to be adaptable in the winter because it really does change day to day and often in extreme ways.
Meyou 05:01 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I think, as far as fitting it all in, you have to choose what you believe to be right for you and your program.

My parents, and anyone new enrolling know how I feel about play based curriculum and getting outside. That's the priority. Anyone who doesnt accept that is not a good fit here.
ITA. My parents want them outside nearly as much as I do.
Angelwings36 05:46 AM 02-16-2012

I open at 7:30am and have drop offs until 8:30am. At 8:00am I start dressing the children that have already arrived in their outdoor gear. By the time my 8:30am drop off shows up all I have to do is dress one child and out the door we go. We are usually outside until 10-11am. I take snack outside with me and we have a picnic on a nice fuzzy, warm blanket. If any of my children have to go potty (which doesn't always happen) they are allowed to run in and do so. I only have one child right now that's still having a tough time getting her pants up and down so if she has to go potty I bring all the other children to the door and quickly run her to the washroom.

An hour is still better than nothing and children really don't get the concept of time so if all you can manage is an hour you are still doing great!

In the summer we have our morning snack and lunch outside and only come in for nap time then out we go again until pick up. My yard is very nicely shaded so it works out great! Plus its less cleaning for me in the day!
WImom 07:59 AM 02-16-2012
I wish I could take them out more in the winter. If it would just snow and stay on the ground that would be great. We are having a very weird winter with a little snow, then melts and makes a mud mess. Then snows a little and then a mud mess...lol.

I wish it would make up it's mind already. I can't believe I haven't been sledding yet and it's the middle of Feb.

Right now we go out about 30 minutes most days. We are still wearing snowpants most days though to keep mud off clothes. (unless it's in the 40's)
AnythingsPossible 08:51 AM 02-16-2012
Luckily we have had a very mild winter in our area but it is still only mid 20's. We start getting ready around 10:30 every day and stay out till they are ready to come in or till time to fix lunch. 15 to 30 minutes is better then nothing. I typically don't drink the nannyde koolaid but her sweatshirt idea is genius. I have. Been fighting mittens so will definatly be making those this weekend! I think any amount of time is worth it, and getting ready to go out is working on life skills so that incorporates into preschool activities.
At the beginning g of winter, I got stuck in the frame of mind that we couldn't go out because it was winter, attitudes have definitely improved since I changed my mindset and make it a priority to get outside!
BigMama 11:12 AM 02-16-2012
We go outside everyday unless it is a)below 20 degrees or b)pouring rain.
I work on self-help skills from the moment the kids enter my program so most can put on snowpants, boots, do a jacket flip, and hats by age 2 1/2. I start their zippers and help with mittens. Then I just have to fully dress the babies. It truly doesn't take much more than 15 minutes.
As far as sunscreen, I usually apply it as soon as they come in in the morning. This way by the time breakfast is over and we are ready to go out almost everyone has sunscreen on. Again, the toddlers and preschoolers put on their own sunscreen directed and guided by me. (I do their faces).
I have an "emergency" backpack that goes with us wherever we go. It is stocked with diapers, wipes, tissues, extra mittens, jackets, plastic cups, etc. so we are prepared to do an "al fresco" diaper change if need be. When I have a new potty trainer I keep a potty, wipes, and hand sanitizer in the garage.
We have breakfast at 8:30 and as soon as each child is done , they clean up their place and then start getting dressed for outside. I help and clean up as everyone gradually finishes by 9. We go out right at 9. An hour is great most days though if it is a particularly glorious day we stay out longer. We are inside by 11:00 as I start preparing lunch then. Don't stress about how long you are out, like the other posters have said, a half hour is better than nothing!
Um, Nannyde, just wondering how your kiddos use their hands with those sweatshirt mitts? Mine would get so frustrated if they wouldn't be able to pick up toys, climb, poke nature, etc. with those on.
Heidi 11:27 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:
I work on self-help skills from the moment the kids enter my program so most can put on snowpants, boots, do a jacket flip, and hats by age 2 1/2. I start their zippers and help with mittens. Then I just have to fully dress the babies. It truly doesn't take much more than 15 minutes.
As far as sunscreen, I usually apply it as soon as they come in in the morning. This way by the time breakfast is over and we are ready to go out almost everyone has sunscreen on. Again, the toddlers and preschoolers put on their own sunscreen directed and guided by me. (I do their faces).
I have an "emergency" backpack that goes with us wherever we go. It is stocked with diapers, wipes, tissues, extra mittens, jackets, plastic cups, etc. so we are prepared to do an "al fresco" diaper change if need be. When I have a new potty trainer I keep a potty, wipes, and hand sanitizer in the garage.
We have breakfast at 8:30 and as soon as each child is done , they clean up their place and then start getting dressed for outside. I help and clean up as everyone gradually finishes by 9. We go out right at 9. An hour is great most days though if it is a particularly glorious day we stay out longer. We are inside by 11:00 as I start preparing lunch then. Don't stress about how long you are out, like the other posters have said, a half hour is better than nothing!
Um, Nannyde, just wondering how your kiddos use their hands with those sweatshirt mitts? Mine would get so frustrated if they wouldn't be able to pick up toys, climb, poke nature, etc. with those on.

Obviously, I am not Nannyde, but I can tell you what happened here:

At the beginning of the winter, I'd struggle to get mitten on my toddlers. They'd pull them off, I'd put them on. As we walked (they were in the cart), I'd stop every 8 steps to put them back on, and eventually give up. After 15 minutes, I had 3 toddlers with beet-red hands screaming their little heads off, and still refusing to keep the mittens on.

I went to WM and bought a package of thick black boys socks (large). I put those on first, and they go all the way up to their little armpits. THen coats, and we're good to go. Because they are so long they CANT get them off.

They did get a little frustrated trying to do small motor stuff outside, but it's WAY easier to listen to a little frustrated whining than the awful, hysterical, screaming that probably made my neighbors think I was abusing the little fellas
AnythingsPossible 05:32 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Here, their hands get so cold and when I do get their mittens on, usually there hand is all in the one section of it, so they don't have full use of their hands even with mittens.
Cold hands are the biggest reason we head back inside. If the sweatshirt is large enough, I think they would still have enough mobility to grasp things such as shovels for the sand the sides of the climber, hands for holding on walks. When it is cold enough to need something like that, they are going to be mainly running around playing active games, or just taking a walk, not worrying about anything small motor that they would need good use of their hands.

Atleast that is what I am telling myself I plan to only do this for my 2 and under set as the older kids will keep their gloves on.
Tags:outside play
Reply Up