Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How are you are your dcks enjoying the weather?
SilverSabre25 05:48 AM 03-19-2012
Spending all morning outside in March? And then heading BACK out after naps? Yes please!!

That's how we spent a lot of last week. They play; I busily work on getting my yard set-up the way I want it.

I'm putting in a bean teepee, a sunflower house, a couple rain barrels that they can get water out of (or I can fill with a hose :P), a dirt digging area, a mud pie kitchen, several raised garden beds, and a HUGE sandbox (really...I need 5200 pounds of sand!). Those are in addition to the other things we have in the yard...most of which are getting moved or changed in some way. I filled SIX Yard waste bags with crap this past weekend; and plan to fill several more each day until this is done.
SunshineMama 05:53 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Spending all morning outside in March? And then heading BACK out after naps? Yes please!!

That's how we spent a lot of last week. They play; I busily work on getting my yard set-up the way I want it.

I'm putting in a bean teepee, a sunflower house, a couple rain barrels that they can get water out of (or I can fill with a hose :P), a dirt digging area, a mud pie kitchen, several raised garden beds, and a HUGE sandbox (really...I need 5200 pounds of sand!). Those are in addition to the other things we have in the yard...most of which are getting moved or changed in some way. I filled SIX Yard waste bags with crap this past weekend; and plan to fill several more each day until this is done.
Your yard sounds AMAZING! We have been outside all day too, but after reading everything that you have I want to add some more fun stuff too!
Lianne 05:59 AM 03-19-2012
I've pulled all my play equipment apart for my move in two weeks. The new yard needs a lot of work but I'm excited for the new possibilities it offers.
Zoe 06:11 AM 03-19-2012
That was us last week too! DH and I bought some adirondack chairs and I have barely moved from it at all! Except to push a kid on the swings, check out a cool bug, etc.

I have cautious optimism that this "winter" we had doesn't return, because I've officially checked into spring! We need to reseed our grass, but I'm waiting until April...just in case!
SilverSabre25 06:24 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
That was us last week too! DH and I bought some adirondack chairs and I have barely moved from it at all! Except to push a kid on the swings, check out a cool bug, etc.

I have cautious optimism that this "winter" we had doesn't return, because I've officially checked into spring! We need to reseed our grass, but I'm waiting until April...just in case!
Yeah ours needs some bug killer crap spread on it, and some weed killer/grass seed spread. I have both and am hoping to do it soon. The seed I have says to put it down in early spring so it seems like a good time.
SilverSabre25 06:25 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Your yard sounds AMAZING! We have been outside all day too, but after reading everything that you have I want to add some more fun stuff too!
Thanks! I hope it will be amazing...right now it's kind of blah and boring. I have LOTS of work ahead of me!
SilverSabre25 06:25 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I've pulled all my play equipment apart for my move in two weeks. The new yard needs a lot of work but I'm excited for the new possibilities it offers.
Exciting! Possibilities are so fun!
greenhouse 09:15 AM 03-19-2012
It's great!!!! 70's this week- my 2 year loves to run around naked and make a mess with pouring water in buckets outside. I love to park my butt in a chair on the deck and he'll keep busy forever with bubbles and water. Or he keeps busy in the dirt if we garden. I love summer so much.
Ariana 09:19 AM 03-19-2012
Finally all the snow/ice has melted from our backyard and we can start going out 2X per day!! I LOVE spring.

You've really inspired me to start working on my yard and I love the idea of the rain barrels and teepee
SunshineMama 09:33 AM 03-19-2012
What do you all do as far as sun protection for the kids? I have all of the parents bring sunscreen and I have to apply it everytime before we go out (daycare kids are very fair skinned). I was just wondering what others do. Do you apply it every time? Do you have parents bring it?
Ariana 10:57 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
What do you all do as far as sun protection for the kids? I have all of the parents bring sunscreen and I have to apply it everytime before we go out (daycare kids are very fair skinned). I was just wondering what others do. Do you apply it every time? Do you have parents bring it?
I have them apply before coming in the morning and then I reapply in the afternoon. This reminds me I need to send out a Summer info letter regarding all of this! The summer seems to have snuck up on me!!!
SilverSabre25 11:25 AM 03-19-2012
I'm not exactly anal when it comes to sunscreen; our yard is pretty shady and I leave it up to the parents. Some don't care if their kid has it or not (unless we are in the water all day) and some want me to be sure to put it on every couple hours.
BigMama 11:34 AM 03-19-2012
I apply sunscreen every time we go out which I feel is really really important as my own skin is so fair I call it clear . I also HIGHLY encourage the parents to send in hats, lip balm, and sunglasses.

Silver, I am utterly and completely jealous of your yard! I saw a pic of a bean teepee online and have been wanting to try one for the longest. A sunflower house? Awesome! I want to try these but I am a total black-thumb and will be sad if they flop. Any tips? Is this your first year having all of these? Do you have any pics from years past that you can post to inspire? Your kiddos are so lucky!

Oh, one question about your sand area. Is it a sandbox or a sandpit? It is so big, how do you cover it?
SilverSabre25 11:37 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:
I apply sunscreen every time we go out which I feel is really really important as my own skin is so fair I call it clear . I also HIGHLY encourage the parents to send in hats, lip balm, and sunglasses.

Silver, I am utterly and completely jealous of your yard! I saw a pic of a bean teepee online and have been wanting to try one for the longest. A sunflower house? Awesome! I want to try these but I am a total black-thumb and will be sad if they flop. Any tips? Is this your first year having all of these? Do you have any pics from years past that you can post to inspire? Your kiddos are so lucky!

Oh, one question about your sand area. Is it a sandbox or a sandpit? It is so big, how do you cover it?
This is my first year. I'm trying it...sunflowers are super easy to grow and so are beans...you can actually use peas or morning glories or any climbing viney thing.

My home came with a big 12 ft by 6.5 ft by 1 ft raised garden bed that I'm turning into a sandbox. I'm going to cover it with a tarp and use concrete blocks or clips of some sort to cover it with. Alternatively, since it's currently got garden fencing around it, I *might* leave the fencing up and not worry about covering it at all; we'll have to see how it works.
Reply Up