Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Homework For Preschoolers
Country Kids 06:16 AM 10-08-2012
I have had a few parents ask if I sent any homework home for the little ones. A few bring bring backpacks to carry projects home. I tell them no and then finally asked them why. Seems the little ones want "homework" like the siblings get from school. Mind you these siblings are middle/high schoolers. I have huge age differences in my kiddos with their siblings. I guess the little ones want some to bring home in their backpacks to bring home.

My question is, should I send home a worksheet, colorsheet, book even, for something like homework. The kids are asking because I did hear one and this is why I finally asked. Should I just send something home for the ones asking?
Of course I wouldn't make it "mandatory" or anything. These familys are very hands on and busy like everyone else so I'm not sure if I want to add more to their evening.
SilverSabre25 06:42 AM 10-08-2012
I think that if littles want homework (and I understand where they are coming from!) then mom and dad need to be responsible for providing them with worksheets/coloring sheets/etc. "Oh you want homework like Big Brother Jonathon? Okay, here you go, here's a homework sheet for you!" as the parent hands Little Guy a sheet of some sort.
Country Kids 07:16 AM 10-08-2012
Thats what I was thinking but the little ones want to bring something home in their backpacks from "school".
Crystal 08:27 AM 10-08-2012
Ugh....kids have plenty of years of homeowrk ahead of em!

So....when I had parents asking this (years ago) I sent home a weekly homework package. It was really mor ehomework for tha parents though, so it didn't last long.

I sent home - blank books with instructions for parents to take their child on a nature walk, come back, have child draw in book, tell the story while the parent dictates the story in writing for the child.

Instructions to go on a hunt for a nature based item to send to school for the science area. Try to take a picture while on the nature walk to share with peers.

A book for the parent to read to the child.

Etc.

Some parents were really into it for awhile, but in time it slowly came to an end because the parents were doing SO much work that they decided it wasn't worth it
Crazy8 08:34 AM 10-08-2012
if they are asking for it I would go ahead and throw a little coloring page in their backpacks! My own kids are each a few years apart and they always wanted to do homework like their siblings too - all I had to do was give them a blank piece of paper to color on and they were happy though since they didn't actually go to a daycare/school.

If the kids are older I would maybe photocopy a worksheet but under 3's I would just do a coloring page maybe once or twice a week.
sharlan 09:11 AM 10-08-2012
Let the parents buy a "workbook" to keep in their backpacks if they want. That way, they can pull it out and do a page or two.

I do mini books, etc for the kids and would send home what we didn't do during the week. The parents were "too busy" to go over them, so I quit.
mom2many 09:36 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I think that if littles want homework (and I understand where they are coming from!) then mom and dad need to be responsible for providing them with worksheets/coloring sheets/etc. "Oh you want homework like Big Brother Jonathon? Okay, here you go, here's a homework sheet for you!" as the parent hands Little Guy a sheet of some sort.
I agree! I understand they want to be like their big brother or sister, but that is the parent's responsibility to offer a worksheet/coloring page of some kind. I've never had a parent ask me to do this & they just do their own thing at home.
DaisyMamma 10:21 AM 10-08-2012
I think it's cute!
You could send home a page out of a coloring book once a week. Something they can do without mom and dad getting too involved. When they come the next day ask them if they did their homework and hang it up on the "homework wall" for all to see.
Oneluckymom 11:03 AM 10-08-2012
I think it's great that the littles look up to their big bros and sisters. I see it as a good learning experience for the little one.

I wouldn't give too much, but maybe a work sheet or two or a few coloring pages. It should be something that THE CHILD can do independently. If they need too much assistance from the parent then maybe it will cause them to lose interest.
My3cents 02:42 PM 10-08-2012
Let the parents buy a workbook. They have these everywhere. Then they can decide when and how much and what they do. You don't have one more thing to plan and they can bring about the homework thing to be just like older child.

It is cute if the parent wants to take this on. Some kids just love to learn too! They can't get enough. I am more for the playing but I could see this too. Depends upon the child. Forcing ......no.
Chipmunk 06:03 PM 10-08-2012
Maybe offer the parents some educational preschool-appropriate websites? Starfall.com is awesome and stuff like that or printables can be DCK's "homework."
newtodaycare22 10:08 AM 10-09-2012
Even if you ask parents to provide it, you can put it in their backpack (to make it seem like its 'from school' )
cheerfuldom 10:47 AM 10-09-2012
I agree with the posters that said let mom and dad figure it out. Give them a list of ideas, websites and such. Keep them updated on what you are working on at preschool so they can find matching worksheets and such online. It really shouldnt be that big of a deal for them to find a little workbook to whip out for "homework".
kendallina 01:25 PM 10-09-2012
The only homework that I do (and this is only for my pre-kinder class, 4 yr olds) is a weekly Letter Bag. We have a letter of the week and I give the children a brown paper bag to bring something from home that starts with that letter. When the children bring their bags in, we have a show-n-tell.

Some of the families really get into it! I was told that one boy slept with the dictionary that he and his dad we using to find words that start with E...lol. Many kids bring in several things that start with our letter. It's fun because it's still completely hands on, it involves the parents and it helps children practice sounding words out.
Country Kids 01:32 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:
The only homework that I do (and this is only for my pre-kinder class, 4 yr olds) is a weekly Letter Bag. We have a letter of the week and I give the children a brown paper bag to bring something from home that starts with that letter. When the children bring their bags in, we have a show-n-tell.

Some of the families really get into it! I was told that one boy slept with the dictionary that he and his dad we using to find words that start with E...lol. Many kids bring in several things that start with our letter. It's fun because it's still completely hands on, it involves the parents and it helps children practice sounding words out.
I love this idea! I'm seriously thinking this may be the way to go. You could do it with number of the week, letter, shape, etc. Thank you so much for the idea-
daycare 01:44 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:

OMG soooo jealous... I want your parents...mine never comply with half the stuff that I ask.

CK.... the only homework I give is if they don't finish it here during class time.

Also, with my zoo phonics. some parents pay extra to do "home play" which are zoo phonics games that encourage bonding time between parent and child. This way the child can teach their parent what we are doing here and the parent can continue to help them at home. I don't really have to send anything home for it other than the information that I already sent at the start of the month in the calendar and news letter...
nanglgrl 08:01 PM 10-09-2012
I just implemented take home packets. They are packets that the parents check out and take home that revolve around our theme, letter, shape, color etc. of the month. I include a story to read to their child and a pamphlet on activities the parent can do with the child as well as links to worksheets they can print out. I will let you know how it goes but my parents seem really interested.
Tags:homework, preschoolers
Reply Up