Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just For Fun... Little Kids Shows
Starburst 08:23 PM 03-04-2013
1. Do you allow children to watch tv during daycare? If so how often (once a day, once a week...)? How long (1/2 hour, 1 hour)? If not why?

2. what shows do you let them watch?

3. Are their any specific little kids shows (target ages 5 and under) that you would not allow children to watch or that you just cannot stand? Why or why not?

4. What are some of you favorite kid shows from when you were a kid?

5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)?

The only one I can answer right now is question 3 & 4:

3. I cannot stand Dora, Diego (though still less irritating than Dora), Cailou, Teletubbies and the Wiggles! Who creates these shows, and what are they on!? One time I fell asleep watching nick@nite and I wake up to a penguin screaming at me in Spanish! And who lets a 4 year olds walk around the woods with wild animals unattended? Why are her parents not in jail and why do they keep having kids if they cannot control the one they had? If I was her teacher I would report the parents for neglect.

4. When I was a kid I liked the Rugrats, Rolly Polly Ollie, PB&J Otter, Busytown, and Winnie the Pooh (you can tell I was a 90's kid ). I liked Blues Clues at first but after a while it got exausting yelling at Steve- I was seriously starting to think that he was mentally challenged. I think shows that follow that same format (like 'Dora', 'Diego') may lead to serious anger issues in children.
blandino 08:33 PM 03-04-2013
1. Do you allow children to watch tv during daycare? If so how often (once a day, once a week...)? How long (1/2 hour, 1 hour)? If not why?

Yes. On Monday we have "play day/movie day" and they get to watch 1 or 2 movies while they play. They aren't ever required to sit and watch TV - but it is on. During the week, on our regular curriculum - we watch an educational DVD (preschool prep, leapfrog, etc) while I prep lunch. Very infrequently I allow them to watch a movie from 5:00 - close while I clean. We never actually watch TV - but specific movies.

In the past we have watched PBS kids, now we don't watch any TV. We watch Disney & Pixar movies, and Preschool Prep and Leapfrog type DVDs.

3. Are their any specific little kids shows (target ages 5 and under) that you would not allow children to watch or that you just cannot stand? Why or why not?
I LOATHE spongebob !! Also Caillou is the most obnoxious TV show I have ever encountered. That character whines constantly, and I would rather not hear another whining voice

I was obsessed with Lizzie McGuire when I was 12-13. I also remember a lot of Inspector Gadget and Rugrats.

5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)?
I've been known to watch something silly like iCarly when the kids are not around - but mostly I watch adult programming (not "adult")
Starburst 08:46 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I've been known to watch something silly like iCarly when the kids are not around - but mostly I watch adult programming (not "adult")
Lol I have been guilty of watching 'iCarly' once in a while that too. There are sometimes when I watch it and would think "they let kids ages 6-12 watch this?" because I notice Spencer makes alot of groin jokes and Carly/Sam make alot of boob jokes. But than again I also used to watch 'Rocko's Modern Life' as a kid (rated TVY7) and they ate at a restuarant called the "Chokey Chicken" and there was also an episode where Rocko was a phone $3% operator ; I have no Idea how the sensors let that through.
Play Care 03:28 AM 03-05-2013
[quote=Starburst;326210]1. Do you allow children to watch tv during daycare? If so how often (once a day, once a week...)? How long (1/2 hour, 1 hour)? If not why?

I consider my day care a NO tv day care. We do not watch tv on a daily basis. I have just found over the years that tv = poor behavior. Even when I only did 20 minutes daily of an educational show so I could make lunch it got to the point where the kids expected it, and would get upset if we had run late from AM activities and "missed" that 20 minutes. That said we might watch a show once a week or so - usually it's theme related.

I actually like Dora. Doc McStuffins, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Team UmiZoomi are ones I enjoy and don't mind them watching.

Can not stand Caillou (I think he's a whiny kid whose parents overly dote on him) And Max and Ruby was another one that bothers me - Max behaves terribly and Ruby is a bossy pants. Max is supposed to be 3 but speaks like a 1 year old.

4. What are some of you favorite kid shows from when you were a kid? The older Scooby Doos.
5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)? Not really.
snbauser 04:28 AM 03-05-2013
We do not watch tv here at all. On a rare occassion we will watch a theme related movie but even that is probably once a year if not less often. I know that most of the kids get plenty of tv at home and there is plenty of other stuff to do here. I have even had a parent comment that their daughter would have a tough time if I didn't let her watch tv. Guess what? It was never on and she never mentioned it.
Scout 04:39 AM 03-05-2013
My tv is on first thing in the morning. They usually watch one episode of something off the dvr, usually non educational and definately geared toward boys! Sometimes I leave it on while they play on Nick or Sprout but, they don't really pay attention to it. Sometimes I turn it off for hours. I do not do preschool so it doesn't bother me if it is on.

I can not stand Max and Ruby!! I think Ruby is horrible to Max and is always telling him "No Max, go play over there" and I don't think that teaches a good lesson on sharing or being a good friend or sister. She is bossy!!

We like Team Umizoomi, Curious George, Handy Manny, Bubble Guppies, and Imagination Movers. I like Calliou!! I think he is so cute! I looked up "why is Calliou bald" one time! They said they wanted him to appeal to all kids?? How many bald kids do you know!!
MsLaura529 04:50 AM 03-05-2013
1. Do you allow children to watch tv during daycare? If so how often (once a day, once a week...)? How long (1/2 hour, 1 hour)? If not why? I do not have a TV in the daycare area, but I may have a half-hour show here or there on the laptop for them.

2. what shows do you let them watch? It will probably be something Disney Jr or Nick Jr related, seeing as those are the only show DVDs we have - right now for my own kids, they love Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Yo Gabba Gabba (I used to think that show was SOOOOOOO weird, then my son fell in love with it one afternoon and it's actually grown on me), Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Team Umizoomi ... this is sounding like they watch a lot of TV, but my 3.5 year old daughter is learning how to "Rest" during naptime, since she doesn't take naps anymore ... so a lot of it is TV related for her to be quiet right now. They also like Phineas & Ferb right now, too, as influenced by DH, haha.

3. Are their any specific little kids shows (target ages 5 and under) that you would not allow children to watch or that you just cannot stand? Why or why not? Dora annoys me so much, but unfortunately my kids love it, too. Both my kids (3.5 and 2) love being able to tell her the answers and such, but it will never be on for the daycare. Max & Ruby is not necessary for them to watch as that is too much like real life (little trouble maker, ironically named Max, and older sister who bosses him around ::sigh:: ).

4. What are some of you favorite kid shows from when you were a kid? These are from more of when I was a tween, but shows like Salute your Shorts and Hey Dude!

5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)? I've put on Wizards of Waverly Place if there's nothing else on ... not that I ever get to watch TV by myself anymore, haha.
countrymom 05:33 AM 03-05-2013
my tv is on all day, do they watch it, nope, I think its more of a sound thing with them. Does it change their behavior, nope, they don't watch it enough to make them bad. I turn it down low and as long as its on, they don't care. Now I have tried to play music and that is so disaterious here, they become crazy and run around.

we watch treehouse and pbs. I like barney, little einstiens, mickey mouse club house, barenstien bears, topy and bino. I can't stand dora, thomas the train (they are so depressing) calliou (whiney brat) there is more, but I turn the channel. I find some to be useless. oh, spongebob is acually one of the worst shows to watch. there is an article in the newspaper about kids who watch it start to talk like him--hence thats what happened to my niece, my sister would park her infront of the tv and let her watch it and even bought her movies.
daycarediva 05:53 AM 03-05-2013
1. Do you allow children to watch tv during daycare? If so how often (once a day, once a week...)? How long (1/2 hour, 1 hour)? If not why? We watch a 1/2 hour show once a week on "fun friday"

2. what shows do you let them watch? Sesame Street or Magic School bus

3. Are their any specific little kids shows (target ages 5 and under) that you would not allow children to watch or that you just cannot stand? Why or why not? I think it's all CRAP now. Seriously, garbage. When I was growing up Sesame st was the all time kids show, and it was educational. If Spongebob was real, I would HIT HIM.

4. What are some of you favorite kid shows from when you were a kid?Sesame Street, and I loved rugrats (babysat for a kid who watched it ALL.DAY.LONG.

5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)? My kids don't watch TV, so neither do I.
jenn 05:54 AM 03-05-2013
[quote=countrymom;326238]my tv is on all day, do they watch it, nope, I think its more of a sound thing with them.

Same here. It's on, but mainly it's just background noise. They are not required to sit and watch. It does help one transition in the morning, because she gets interested in the show and forgets about mom leaving. Within a few minutes she is up and playing.

We have on PBS or other kid appropriate shows. Never "my shows". I can't stand Dora or Diego, but I do think they could be educational.
NeedaVaca 05:54 AM 03-05-2013

1. Maybe 15-20 before lunch so I can get everything ready.

2. PBS mostly-sometimes Mickey Mouse or Jake & the Pirates

3. Hate Spongebob, Max & Ruby, Caillou

4. I used to love the Smurfs when I was little

5. nope, although sometimes at night my 9 DD will watch shows & I forget to turn off the tv!

I noticed a lot of people don't like Caillou and had to post this link, BEWARE-this blogger uses horrible language!! It was just so funny I wanted to share.

http://www.chicagonow.com/baby-sideb...-i-hate-him-2/
Lianne 06:02 AM 03-05-2013
They watch tv while I do the last bit of lunch prep and we watch it at the end of the day for 15-20mins but I'm not opposed to turning it on more often if I feel like it. There aren't any shows I won't let them watch. I'll even allow Caillou and we discuss how rude he is, his tantrums, etc.

There are shows that *I* can't stand though. Caillou, Imagination Mover, In the Night Garden, Mike the Knight are the ones that come to mind.

I love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Word World and Super Why. I miss Mr Dress Up and the old format of Sesame Street
just_peachy 06:03 AM 03-05-2013
My own kids watch a cartoon each on Netflix in the morning while they're getting ready for school. I'm super anti-commercial, plus we have no cable so Netflix works perfect for us. My boys pick first, before the daycare kids get here. They usually pick Power Rangers or Bakugon. (5 and 7) My daughter then picks, and by then kids start showing up. She usually picks Yo Gabba Gabba, Super Why, or Curious George. She's 3.

She LOVES Calliou, but I CAN'T STAND that show!! I finally put my foot down when I was watching the Thanksgiving episode and Calliou sees his moms chopping onions and says "I HATE onions." Then nothing. Mom says nothing, Dad says nothing, Calliou just gets away with randomly mouthing off about onions. WHO WRITES THAT SHOW?!? So no more after that.

Now when my daughter gets to pick, she says "No Calliou, right mom? 'Cause he not like onions."

During daycare hours, we occasionally watch a Yo Gabba Gabba when I'm in a pinch, but mostly we're TV free. We DO dance to YouTube videos though, and sometimes do YouTube kid yoga.

As a kid, I loved the Disney Afternoon! Also all the classic 80's cartoons. My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Care Bears... Ah, I love the 80's.

I will sit and watch a Yo Gabba Gabba, I admit! I love it. I also catch myself watching Phinneas and Ferb long after my boys have lost interest. The music alone is worth it.
countrymom 07:09 AM 03-05-2013
I find caillou very rude too. I also think he needs to be disciplined and I can't figure out why the writers don't do something about it. I hate when he whines about not getting his way either. The other day he was complaining about not being able to use the drums because he wasn't old enough, he threw a fit, like really if it happened here, they would visit the corner. I also find that they negotiate way too much on this show, theres no boundry line between parent and child.

we also like
backyardigans
my little pony (netflix)
wonder pets (this show is so awesome about sharing and helping and the animals are cute)
Scout 07:22 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
my tv is on all day, do they watch it, nope, I think its more of a sound thing with them. Does it change their behavior, nope, they don't watch it enough to make them bad. I turn it down low and as long as its on, they don't care. Now I have tried to play music and that is so disaterious here, they become crazy and run around.

we watch treehouse and pbs. I like barney, little einstiens, mickey mouse club house, barenstien bears, topy and bino. I can't stand dora, thomas the train (they are so depressing) calliou (whiney brat) there is more, but I turn the channel. I find some to be useless. oh, spongebob is acually one of the worst shows to watch. there is an article in the newspaper about kids who watch it start to talk like him--hence thats what happened to my niece, my sister would park her infront of the tv and let her watch it and even bought her movies.
We love Berenstain Bears!! Can't believe i forgot that one. I read the books too!
3amazingkiddos 07:52 AM 03-05-2013
My dc kiddos arrive at 6am, so the tv is usually on from 6-7 while everyone wakes up. We watch PBS in the morning, so it's Clifford and Super Why. Then we watch a 1/2 hour before nap and the kids usually pick Caillou I try to limit it as much as possible during the day. When we do watch a movie it's usually curious George, everyone loves him.

As for my own kids, they watch Disney JR and my daughter (8) watches Disney or nick. I'm fortunate that my kids really like the old cartoons that I grew up with like Scooby Doo, bugs bunny, Tom & Jerry, and the chipmunks. And of course they all love the Disney/Pixar movies.

I think iCarly, Good Luck Charlie, and Drake and Josh are cute. My daughter and I watch those together.

I refuse to let any of the kids watch Barney or the wiggles, I can't stand either of them. I'm not crazy about Dora either, but they watch it sometimes.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 03-05-2013
Nope never.

See above

nope.

I didn't watch TV as a kid. The TV was for my parents to watch the news and sports. When I got older and was maybe middle to high school age, we were allowed to watch a few shows in the evening if our homework was done and our chores were completed.

Nope. I don't have a TV here.
blandino 08:13 AM 03-05-2013
I'm super glad that others mimic my feelings about Caillou. He is incredibly whiney - and his parents are more patient and permissive that anyone I know. They make me feel like a monster for handling situations the way I do - but then I realize even if I had the patience I would NEVER handle behavior the way they do - on principle.
Willow 08:20 AM 03-05-2013

Depends on the season and the day. Sometimes I'll put a movie on a day during the winter, during the summer it rarely goes on at all. When it is on it's usually only watched before nap.

Not a fan of shows, usually prefer movies. If regular programming is on I stick to PBS....I like Sid The Science Kid because it gives me great jumping off topics for discussions and fantastic science project ideas. Wild Kratts is a favorite nature show and Word World (although sort of cheesy to me) has been good for teaching letters and phonics.

Little Einsteins is about the only thing I'll allow on outside of PBS programming.

Spongebob.

Superhero garbage.

Looney Tunes.

Teletubbies/Caillou/Yo Gabba Gabba.

Rainbow Brite, My Little Ponies and the Smurfs

NO WAY!!!
Lucy 09:18 AM 03-05-2013
I don't have a problem with TV. No, we don't watch it all day, but it's on at arrivals and departures, and it's on just before and just after naps.

I think there are a lot of good teaching shows on these days. I've seen kids learn counting, letters, spanish words, concepts like up/down, in/out, etc. Nothing wrong with that. I can still sing "conjunction junction" in my head. If they're learning from it, how can it be a bad thing?

And not only do they learn school things, these shows foster their imaginations and creativity. Right now, I have two 4-yr olds and a 3-yr old who are putting on a little "play" of Dora. One of them is directing the other kids and told them that when she says "go", they are to walk in a circle and sing "I'm the map". Then another kid said "and then next, you can be swiper and we'll say swiper no swiping!" It's so cute.

There CAN be good in television!
Jewels 10:40 AM 03-05-2013
[quote=Starburst;326210]1. Do you allow children to watch tv during daycare? If so how often (once a day, once a week...)? How long (1/2 hour, 1 hour)? If not why?

I have the TV on right away in the morning, my first arrives at 6:30am, and my kids are generally still sleeping, so he sits quietly and watches cartoons, mine are generally up at 7:30, and they like to sit and wake up with 1 show, 8am its off, or earlier if breakfast is done before that, so everyone gets 1 show in the morning pretty much. And I have quite a few awake kids at nap, so I do turn on a movie at nap time for the onjes who aren't sleeping and after the movie, they play quietly, they can also color during the movie.

I think nickjr is on right now, but sometimes Its sprout, with my little ponies and strawberry shortcake and carebears, I love those ones, or disney will be on, or pbs kids, my sons favorite was always backyardigans. But during nap time, its always a movie.

3. Are their any specific little kids shows (target ages 5 and under) that you would not allow children to watch or that you just cannot stand? Why or why not? I think really just spongebob.

Carebears, my little pony, strawberry shortcake, seseame street, flinstones, smurfs, the jetsons

5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)? only if disney is left on in my room at the end of the night from my kids, and its one of the actual shows not cartoons, I will catch myself watching by not often

/QUOTE]
Play Care 11:15 AM 03-05-2013
The only one I can answer right now is question 3 & 4:

3. I cannot stand Dora, Diego (though still less irritating than Dora), Cailou, Teletubbies and the Wiggles! Who creates these shows, and what are they on!? One time I fell asleep watching nick@nite and I wake up to a penguin screaming at me in Spanish! And who lets a 4 year olds walk around the woods with wild animals unattended? Why are her parents not in jail and why do they keep having kids if they cannot control the one they had? If I was her teacher I would report the parents for neglect.

4. When I was a kid I liked the Rugrats, Rolly Polly Ollie, PB&J Otter, Busytown, and Winnie the Pooh (you can tell I was a 90's kid ). I liked Blues Clues at first but after a while it got exausting yelling at Steve- I was seriously starting to think that he was mentally challenged. I think shows that follow that same format (like 'Dora', 'Diego') may lead to serious anger issues in children.[/quote]

I don't have time to look them up right now, but studies have shown that shows with formats like Dora (where the child is asked questions) are better because they are more interactive and the child isn't just zoning out but "part" of the show. Now, I do think it's a bit creepy that she looks and waits for the answer but none of the kids who have watched her with me have ever seemed angry afterwards.
Starburst 12:50 PM 03-05-2013
Lol for all you Caillou haters, this was a funny blog I read a few months ago about a dad who hates watching it:

http://www.howtobeadad.com/2012/1086...ou-french-shut
spud912 12:56 PM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Yes, 20 minutes while I prep lunch. Like someone else mentioned, it is irritating that they come to expect it, they talk about it frequently ("what are we watching today??" over and over), and then they get upset when we don't have time to watch something. I've thought about eliminating it altogether, but there are things I do enjoy showing them (theme-related movies, educational shows).
I don't have cable, so we only watch the DVD's I have or what I deem a good choice on Netflix or Amazon streaming video. I only show them theme-related movies (ie Disney or Dreamworks) or educational shows (Leap Frog, the generic show series that teaches sight words, Word World or Sid the Science Kid). For example, for the week with Mardi Gras/Valentine's Day, we watched Princess in the Frog in small segments (and it took 3 days to finish it since it was in ~20 minute segments). I usually end up doing 2 educational shows and one movie for the week. If I can't find a movie to coincide with the theme, we choose one of the classics (like this week we are watching Pinocchio).
Plenty! Like I said, only theme related movies and a few select educational shows.
I didn't watch much tv, but I did like Looney Tunes, Duck Tales, My Little Pony and Animaniacs. As far as movies (which we watched more of versus shows), I liked fantasy movies (Willow, the Last Unicorn, Labyrinth, Legend, the Neverending Story), your typical 80's classics (like Explorers, Goonies), and the popular animated movies (especially Aladdin and Cinderella). My mom was very open to her children watching whatever we wanted. I remember having nightmares for a year after watching a horror movie when I was 5 .
Oh, I still love every movie I loved as a child and will watch them with the children when I get a chance. I also love the newer animated movies, especially Shrek!! The main show I let the kids watch that I can't stand watching is the sight word show. It repeats the same words over and over and over . Agh! But hey, if it works and they somehow like to watch it, then I still show it.
I answered in red
Lyss 12:58 PM 03-05-2013

1.) I try not to allow it but sometimes when I'm trying to make lunch or we're having an off day I'll allow it for 30mins or so. I can only handle so much kids tv before I get annoyed lol!

2.) My crew are younger so really the only shows we watch are Super Why, Sesame Street, The Pajanimals, & the Chica Show.

3.) Caillou, Max & Ruby, Thomas the train, Yo Gabba Gabba, Lazytown, SpongeBob... Really I hate the Disney channel and Nick. Sprout is all I can manage and honestly I'm not a huge fan of it.

4.) Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Care Bears, Mister Rogers, Captain Kangaroo

5.) DH and DD watch the Pajanimals or the Goodnight show with Nina and star sometimes after her bath in the evening. When its over they go in her room and read a book until she goes to bed so sometimes i'll look up an hour later and the tv still is on the sprout network and something like Angelina ballerina is on
Lyss 01:04 PM 03-05-2013
Lol for all you Caillou haters, this was a funny blog I read a few months ago about a dad who hates watching it:

http://www.howtobeadad.com/2012/1086...ou-french-shut

SilverSabre25 01:13 PM 03-05-2013
1. We watch it more than I'd like right now. It is mostly due to my schedule--my only dcf gets here within a one hour window in the AM and my own kids have been having a show each in the AM and a show in the PM (after daycare time). Because I don't know when dcf will get here, it is on sometimes in the morning when they arrive. But I'm not going to sacrifice a routine my own children are enjoying just because of a dcf...not unless I have to.

2. Stuff on Netflix. DS is into Blues Clues and Kipper right now, DD is into Arthur mostly right now. Also kids movies.

3. Dora. Barney. Diego. YoYoGabba. Teletubbies. Spongbob (which doesn't really target the younger audience, honestly)

4. Ghostbusters, TMNT, Batman...Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers...

5. Phineas and Ferb. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Evansmom 01:55 PM 03-05-2013
I'm really strict on media consumption but I do allow certain shows during quiet time.

2. what shows do you let them watch? Caillou, Sesame Street, Magic School Bus, Reading Rainbow, Kratt Brothers and stuff like that.

Cannot stand most Nick stuff like Dora or Diego etc. Team Umizoomi is ok tho.

Mister Rogers all the way!!!!! Sesame Street!! Pinwheel from when Nick was new.

5. Are there any shows that you catch yourself watching without daycare kids (or your own)? No way. In 17 years of child care I have had my fill!!
Luna 02:24 PM 03-05-2013

We have the tv on while I fix lunch, then again while I'm cleaning up from lunch. The older kids who don't nap watch tv for quiet time.

We do watch Caillou, and all the kids yell at the tv "that's rude" or "that's not how we behave"! He really is a whiner, isn't he? We watch Wild Kratts, Dinosaur Train, Arthur, Martha Speaks, Curious George, Super Why, and my fave is Peep and the Big Wide World.

I really don't like Thomas and Friends, not sure why, I can't put my finger on it. We've never had on Dora or Spongebob but they sound heinous.

The Archie's, Penelope Pitstop, am I giving away my age here??

Nooooooo!
Bookworm 03:00 PM 03-05-2013
1. We watch tv if it has something to do with curriculum.

4. Super friends, Thundarr the barbarian, Looney Tunes, Jem, Smurfs and many others.

5. Not me but my DH. He is crazy for Spongebob. I can only stand about 5 minutes before I start screaming.
2grls4us 12:45 PM 07-16-2013

This was old but what I was thinking about today. Just happened to see it.

Yes, we watch tv. Not for a full day or anything. I have one that arrives an hour before everyone else so she watches quietly while the rest of my house is still asleep.
Mostly try and choose educational programs.My DD and DCKs like Peppa Pig, Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.
I do not like yo gabba gabba, sponge bob, and Dora.
I liked smurfs, flintstones, jetsons. My niece loved Rugrats and so did i in the early 90's. My now 17 yr old loved bear in the big blue house, little bear, franklin at the age of 2-3.
My husband is an anime fan so we watch some of those type things sometimes, we all like Peppa Pig and got excited when there were new episodes. My husband even tells his friends about the Peppa Pig shows.
JoseyJo 12:59 PM 07-16-2013
We don't have a Tv in the daycare area, or any electronic toys (except one leap pad w/ read aloud books) We have a few toys that had batteries at one time but we just play with them w/o the lights and sounds

We do have Movie Morning Fridays where we all go back into our den (separate from the daycare area and the only time we go back there, so special!) and our line leader of the day picks a kids movie or show to watch. Most of the time we don't make it all the way through a movie before they get bored and we head back to the daycare area to play/color/ do group activities
Familycare71 01:10 PM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst

Yes- usually one or two shows in the am, one while I make lunch, non napping kids can watch during nap and sometimes one at the end of the day.

Favorites here are Wild Kratts, curious George, Mickey Mouse, jake and the never land pirates, super why...

Ummm- I really don't like cailou or max and ruby - they both just seem so disfunctional to me!!! Dora can get on my nerves... She's so bossy!! Lol

Heeman, smurfs, jetsons, mr Rogers

Yes!!! But mostly at the end of the day when my daughter goes to bed. I get hooked on those Disney sitcoms!!! I love good luck Charlie- and I MISS hannah Montana! lol.

I love tv so I def have to remind myself to turn it off- sometimes time gets away from me and its on more than it should be... Luckily the kids play and do their thing weather it is or not. I like the background noise so I turn on the radio when I remember instead...
Fun post!!
MyAngels 04:25 PM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I don't have a problem with TV. No, we don't watch it all day, but it's on at arrivals and departures, and it's on just before and just after naps.

I think there are a lot of good teaching shows on these days. I've seen kids learn counting, letters, spanish words, concepts like up/down, in/out, etc. Nothing wrong with that. I can still sing "conjunction junction" in my head. If they're learning from it, how can it be a bad thing?

And not only do they learn school things, these shows foster their imaginations and creativity. Right now, I have two 4-yr olds and a 3-yr old who are putting on a little "play" of Dora. One of them is directing the other kids and told them that when she says "go", they are to walk in a circle and sing "I'm the map". Then another kid said "and then next, you can be swiper and we'll say swiper no swiping!" It's so cute.

There CAN be good in television!

Mine tends to be on a lot during the day, but it's almost always muted except for first thing in the a.m., before lunch, and at pick up time.

While I understand many parents and providers are very anti screen time, I feel like it's a part of our lives and it's not going anywhere. The key is monitoring and moderation, at least for me.

I can't think right off hand of any shows that I really dislike, or any that I really like.

As far as shows from my childhood? Did they even have TV back then?
daycarediva 04:31 PM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
We do not watch tv here at all. On a rare occassion we will watch a theme related movie but even that is probably once a year if not less often. I know that most of the kids get plenty of tv at home and there is plenty of other stuff to do here. I have even had a parent comment that their daughter would have a tough time if I didn't let her watch tv. Guess what? It was never on and she never mentioned it.
this.

My dck's watch wayyy too much tv as it is. When they ask, I ask them where my tv IS, and they can't find it. (I move one up for specific movie days).
EntropyControlSpecialist 04:41 PM 07-16-2013
No. Never. It's unnecessary and I know they get plenty of screen time at home and do not wish to add to that. The chance of a child having ADHD increases for every hour of TV they watch each day under the age of 5.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:34 PM 07-16-2013
No Tv. I wish I could get my parents to do this also!!
Jack Sprat 01:26 PM 07-17-2013
We watch one show a week. This past week it was Magic School Bus. Kids love it, and I can tolerate Ms. Frizzle. Win-win!
Tags:just for fun, television, tv shows
Reply Up