Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I think I need an attitude adjustment
Thriftylady 01:00 PM 06-02-2016
I have an interview this evening that would fill me up. We need the money, but it is part time and they need every weekend, I told them I would only do every other.

I really was just not going to accept into care, but don't feel I can do that since we do need the income. So I guess I was hoping that they wouldn't choose me. Mom messaged again today hoping to start Saturday. UGH. I think they have already chosen me. I haven't met them yet so we will see.

I don't understand why I am feeling so just no about it from the get go though. Well I do, it is the weekends.
Blackcat31 01:19 PM 06-02-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have an interview this evening that would fill me up. We need the money, but it is part time and they need every weekend, I told them I would only do every other.

I really was just not going to accept into care, but don't feel I can do that since we do need the income. So I guess I was hoping that they wouldn't choose me. Mom messaged again today hoping to start Saturday. UGH. I think they have already chosen me. I haven't met them yet so we will see.

I don't understand why I am feeling so just no about it from the get go though. Well I do, it is the weekends.
......because although money pays the bills.....it doesn't fill the heart when you are already short changed on family/me/down time.

Sometimes, the money is just not worth it.
CityGarden 01:25 PM 06-02-2016
Do you typically offer weekend care?

Based on what I read on this forum almost anytime a provider bends on their set hours (or policies) in a drastic way they tend to either resent the family for asking or regret it. Maybe that is what you are feeling?
Thriftylady 01:51 PM 06-02-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Do you typically offer weekend care?

Based on what I read on this forum almost anytime a provider bends on their set hours (or policies) in a drastic way they tend to either resent the family for asking or regret it. Maybe that is what you are feeling?
I have been offering it, but having no takers. I have been having a hard time filling spots, thus the reason I have offered it. I refuse to do it every weekend for anyone, because sometimes DH makes it home on the weekends and I need some time with him!

My other issue, is that ALL my kids right now are SA. Which is fine I love having all the same age group. But they are all going to school in the fall. The 4 yr old on this new interview won't be, but will only be part time. So if I get some preK kids this fall, I am going to have to drop some of my before and after school kids. But that is a bridge for another day. I really would like to get some pre K kids in here. I am going to need the income once school starts.
Scout 02:47 PM 06-02-2016
I agree with Blackcat. I just got done doing 2 nights til 6-6:30 and I was MISERABLE. This week we are back to 4-5 pm at the latest and my attitude is totally different. Even though the kids keft early tues, fri(4:30ish) I woulnt do it again, even tho we did need the income too. I am also done with babies now. I will not take infants any longer. The restrictions on what we can do isn't worth it anymore.
lovemydaycare0912 03:16 PM 06-02-2016
Ask yourself is it really worth your sanity? I would shoot myself if I did weekends. I get needing the income, but I agree with BC.
Mike 03:34 PM 06-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sometimes, the money is just not worth it.

That's what it all comes down to.
Thriftylady 05:26 PM 06-02-2016
Well now I know I have a bad attitude! She was supposed to be here at 8 after her kids ball game. I hadn't heard from her and logged onto my business FB page to find out she had messaged me that he was playing at 8 and she could be here by 9. UM NO you can't, because interviews take at least an hour and my day starts at 6:30 AM. So then she says "Well I can come tomorrow night but won't have my daughter because she is going to a sleep over at 5". So I tell her that I can't do tomorrow evening because I need to go do my grocery shopping for the week, because I DO! She says "well let me see if I can get off work early". I told her to let me know by noon if she wanted a 4 PM appt.

Of course if she does that she isn't going to be able to start care Saturday like she wished, because I have to follow my 24 hour rule right? Not that I always follow it to a T, but it is my right. And at that point, I am not doing any business Sunday, because DH thinks he will get home then. I guess I have now kind of made my decision. I am on the phone with hubby and his first words were "so daycare isn't really a priority to her then?". I will say she wanted to meet earlier today, but I had five kids, and I don't like when interviews mean chaos. When I have kids, for the most part, they are my where my attention goes.

Wait, why am I even trying to make excuses? I don't have to this is my gig lol.
LysesKids 06:01 PM 06-02-2016
Well now I know I have a bad attitude! She was supposed to be here at 8 after her kids ball game. I hadn't heard from her and logged onto my business FB page to find out she had messaged me that he was playing at 8 and she could be here by 9. UM NO you can't, because interviews take at least an hour and my day starts at 6:30 AM. So then she says "Well I can come tomorrow night but won't have my daughter because she is going to a sleep over at 5". So I tell her that I can't do tomorrow evening because I need to go do my grocery shopping for the week, because I DO! She says "well let me see if I can get off work early". I told her to let me know by noon if she wanted a 4 PM appt.

Of course if she does that she isn't going to be able to start care Saturday like she wished, because I have to follow my 24 hour rule right? Not that I always follow it to a T, but it is my right. And at that point, I am not doing any business Sunday, because DH thinks he will get home then. I guess I have now kind of made my decision. I am on the phone with hubby and his first words were "so daycare isn't really a priority to her then?". I will say she wanted to meet earlier today, but I had five kids, and I don't like when interviews mean chaos. When I have kids, for the most part, they are my where my attention goes.

I get this lol... I had to cancel my interview last night for a sick kid; like major disinfecting issues, including steam cleaning a vomit area on rug and didn't want the illness to get spread to possible new family... she decided to not reschedule for tonight or next week. Saturday morn is my running errands time lol
MunchkinWrangler 09:45 PM 06-02-2016

I think you're making the right decision. I don't like jumping through hoops just so a family signs with me. If it's too difficult at the get go, I pass. I always feel the way it is at the beginning is always a sign of things to come.

I think your feelings are right on this one and I would pass. It's probably a sign that something better will come along that works for your schedule more.
Thriftylady 04:42 AM 06-03-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I think you're making the right decision. I don't like jumping through hoops just so a family signs with me. If it's too difficult at the get go, I pass. I always feel the way it is at the beginning is always a sign of things to come.

I think your feelings are right on this one and I would pass. It's probably a sign that something better will come along that works for your schedule more.
I guess what really rubbed me the wrong way is she thought she could just change the appt. time to later in the evening and that would be fine. I MAY still meet with her today, but I am almost sure I won't be offering a spot.
Reply Up