Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure Where This Came From?
Josiegirl 02:54 AM 09-19-2017
I'm in the STARS program(which thankfully is still optional here) and every year receive a bonus grant for continued participation. It always comes after they receive my renewal info and application and it comes through the state where I get the subsidized monies. Well, I just received a check for $1100 and I have no idea why I already got it. My renewal is due the end of October so am still in the process of gathering info and have to meet with my mentor.
Did someone goof or do they automatically send it? Another thing I don't understand is my STARS certificate says it expires in 3 years but I still have to send the info annually.
Trust me, I have no problem using 1100 bucks but don't want to cash the check only to have them come back and say oops, give us back our money.

I will call them but wondered if anyone has thoughts on this?? Thanks!!
DaveA 04:06 AM 09-19-2017
I would call and ask just because I'm like you- I would hate to get a call saying "give it back now!"
Mike 05:34 AM 09-19-2017
Several years ago I went to a bank machine to withdraw the last $50 or whatever it was I had in the bank. The receipt showed I still had a balance of a couple thousand so I went in the bank the next day to see if their records showed where it came from. I told the teller it must be a mistake. The teller suggested leaving it for a few days, and see. The next day it was gone. I asked what happened and was told someone made a deposit but wrote the account number down with 1 digit off. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

I hope your check is legit.
Cat Herder 05:50 AM 09-19-2017
Is that the amount you normally get? Did you apply for a specific project grant or a standard level grant?

I would wait for the confirmation email or the notification in your online portfolio.

I have never received a check like that. It is typically the exact amount I quoted on a grant application or a delivery of stuff they give to everyone.
Josiegirl 09:50 AM 09-22-2017
I finally just put in a call to find out who I return this check to. She said something about fund money and all the providers who are specialized care providers got this bonus.

Wow!!! Nice way to end a week!!!
Now, should I buy something for dc, or put it towards my 2 dds' college loans?
daycarediva 09:55 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I finally just put in a call to find out who I return this check to. She said something about fund money and all the providers who are specialized care providers got this bonus.

Wow!!! Nice way to end a week!!!
Now, should I buy something for dc, or put it towards my 2 dds' college loans?
BOTH? and a bottle of wine/book/treat for you!
Rockgirl 09:59 AM 09-22-2017
That's great!
midaycare 10:40 AM 09-22-2017
Josiegirl what does specialized care providers mean? I'm in the same state as you I think. I received $500 but not $1100. I will be calling if I can get more!
Josiegirl 10:49 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Josiegirl what does specialized care providers mean? I'm in the same state as you I think. I received $500 but not $1100. I will be calling if I can get more!
You have to take 6 hrs. special services training the first year, then 6 hrs. related to it annually and specialized care basically means special needs children or children who are at risk.
I'm in Vermont.
I also just logged into our state site and some providers are also receiving an extra amount quarterly, depending on number of subsidized families, their ages( the more infants/toddlers the better), etc. I just saw my name on that list and will receive another 303. sometime in October
grandmom 05:11 PM 09-26-2017
Since it's over $600 you'll have to pay taxes on it. Just keep that in mind.
midaycare 05:15 PM 09-26-2017
Oh bummer, I thought you were in MI
MarinaVanessa 09:26 PM 09-26-2017
wow that's awesome! I wish someone would give me $1k bucks!! Lucky you!!
daycare 09:49 PM 09-26-2017
This just happened to me but it was for $98.00

I didn’t get any notice I was going to get it but later found out that after giving out the grants earlier this year, there was still a lot of money left over they needed to rid of so anyone who took college courses, got the additional bonus. I decided to save it.
Josiegirl 01:37 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Since it's over $600 you'll have to pay taxes on it. Just keep that in mind.
Oh yeh, they add all the grant monies in with the amount of everything else from the state.

Well, they must've had tons of $$$ left over from something in our state too. And it kind of pi$$e$ me off because they're once again changing our local dc resources office around and we're losing another valuable key player. Last year we lost our cc resource development person; she used to organize all our trainings and tons of other stuff. She was a godsend to us. This year we're losing our Birth-5 mentor and again, she's also been a godsend. Without both of these specific people I would never have entered the Stars program back a few years ago. I do NOT get it. Why take the support away from providers?? What they've replaced our development person with, has IMO been inadequate. I wish they'd have kept all this state money and these 2 people instead of what they've done.
Sorry, my morning vent today.
Tags:stars, stars program
Reply Up