Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Career Paths Soon - How to Tell Families?
BGM 09:34 AM 10-03-2020
Hey Everybody!

This is going to be long, but I'd really like some feedback.

So I have just two families this year because Covid. One family comes full-time, but they have expressed that they are unsure if they really want their two kids to go to daycare at all. The other family only comes two days a week but wanted to start coming full time once both parents were able to secure a job.

I recently decided that I want to pursue being a doula after my own birth last December. It was really life-changing. So, I took the required training a few weeks ago and have just been chomping at the bit to get out there to attend births even though I told myself I would do daycare one more school year while I got myself together, developed my brand, etc. HOWEVER, I had my first week of daycare with my new clients and I just am not feeling it anymore.

I was able to speak to my doula who is now a mentor for me. I told her how I was having second thoughts about completing the school year and she said she has some clients that she can't take on in December that she could pass to me which is huge!

And then, my friend who I told like a month ago about my decision to become a doula asked if I'd be willing to be her virtual doula that same day. After me offering weeks ago. It just seems like a sign from the universe that the time to act is now.

So, I started working on an email to my daycare clients and I'd love for you guys to give me some feedback on how it sounds:

Dear Families,

I want to first thank you again for trusting me with your children. I do not take that lightly.

After a lot of thought and deliberation, I have decided to close The Daycare. Our last day will be Friday, October 23rd 2020.

I have reached a point in my life where I am being called to pursue a career as a doula. I have loved every moment of caring for your children, so it is with very mixed emotions that I step into this new role. I want you to know that I had every intention of completing this school year. However, some opportunities came up faster than I anticipated that I absolutely cannot pass up.

I'm very sorry for this inconvenience. I'm attaching some resources to find alternate care. Please feel free to call if you have any questions.

Thank you,
BGM

That's it.

Should I go into why I'm closing do you think or leave that out? I mean, these could potentially be doula clients in the future, so I don't want to completely burn this bridge, you know?

Also the one mom texts me like every day. She's texting me right now because we all got sick and am waiting for our Covid test results (It's probably just a cold, but we've agreed to be super vigilant). Maybe I should call her and let her know I'll be sending this email her way? I hate seeming wishy washy, but I literally cannot ignore the call to be a doula any longer. It's been in the back of my mind for months and now that I've started listening to it and feeding into it, it's all I can do to not think about it. I've never felt this passionate about a career in my life.
Snowmom 10:25 AM 10-03-2020
Personally, I would just leave out that mid-section about your next endeavor. If they ask, then I wouldn't have an issue telling them. But at this point, it doesn't serve a real purpose and honestly, just makes it seem a little wishy/washy in terms of longevity.
Short and sweet is best.

Best of luck to you! Sounds like fun!
BGM 10:47 AM 10-03-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Personally, I would just leave out that mid-section about your next endeavor. If they ask, then I wouldn't have an issue telling them. But at this point, it doesn't serve a real purpose and honestly, just makes it seem a little wishy/washy in terms of longevity.
Short and sweet is best.

Best of luck to you! Sounds like fun!
Yeah, I was thinking that. Thank you!
Gemma 03:51 AM 10-04-2020
I agree with Snowmom "Short and sweet".

Don't feel bad for the families, they'll move on and forget all about you in no time.

good luck!
rosieteddy 11:32 AM 10-04-2020
Another vote for short and sweet.I would also cut out the middle .If pushed for a main reason I would use the Pandemic and low enrollment as a reason for closing. Go for it I always wanted to be a Doula and missed my oppurtunity.This is the perfect time it seems for you .Good luck.
BGM 07:47 PM 10-04-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I agree with Snowmom "Short and sweet".

Don't feel bad for the families, they'll move on and forget all about you in no time.

good luck!
Thank you for putting it in perspective. You're absolutely right!

Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Another vote for short and sweet.I would also cut out the middle .If pushed for a main reason I would use the Pandemic and low enrollment as a reason for closing. Go for it I always wanted to be a Doula and missed my oppurtunity.This is the perfect time it seems for you .Good luck.
Thank you! So I've decided to tell them in person and then follow up with the email. Hopefully they take it well and I can start my new career with a clear conscience.

You know, the world could always use another doula!
BGM 03:30 PM 10-05-2020
***Update***

I told the families that my last day will be 11/25. Both families took it really well.

One even asked if we could stay in touch after they leave.

So yay! On to build another business
Blackcat31 04:21 PM 10-05-2020
Originally Posted by BGM:
***Update***

I told the families that my last day will be 11/25. Both families took it really well.

One even asked if we could stay in touch after they leave.

So yay! On to build another business
Last day is Oct 23 or Nov 25?
Your first post says Oct and update says Nov.
Just curious if you extended time to accommodate a family.

Congrats on your new career!!
BGM 08:15 PM 10-05-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Last day is Oct 23 or Nov 25?
Your first post says Oct and update says Nov.
Just curious if you extended time to accommodate a family.

Congrats on your new career!!
Thank you!

I did end up extending my closing date to 11/25 just to give my families a little extra time. I'm not sure they'll use it though which is perfectly fine by me!
Unregistered 09:22 AM 03-01-2021
I have an in-home childcare with 6 clients. We recently bought a house in a neighboring town. I notified the parents in person and I also gave them this letter.

Dear Families:

As many of you know, our family has been looking to buy a house over the last 6 months. We have been looking both here and in Laurel and recently we found one we love in Laurel. I am excited for the new adventure but I will be very sad to lose the relationship that I’ve had with you and your children. I really love each one of them and I am honored to have been one of their first teachers. Thank you so much for trusting me with them and for becoming our friends.

My last day of daycare will be May 15th. Our lease at our current house will not be up until the end of May so we will have fully open, normal daycare days right up until this date. We will not begin moving toys, furniture, school supplies, etc. until after May 15th.
If I can help in any way in your search for new care, please let me know. I would love to have all of you stay with me as close to the closing date as possible but I understand that you might need to leave early based on availability at other locations. When you find something, I would really appreciate 2-weeks notice if you can.

Thank you again for allowing me to care for your children. I will miss all of you.
Tags:closing - short notice, closing letter, new adventure
Reply Up