Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Ever Lost a Payment Before?
2 young 2 feel this old 09:45 AM 08-27-2013
My DCP's pay either Friday or Monday before care. Yesterday DCM handed me a check when they arrived and I SWEAR I put it in the kitchen cupboard with the rest of the payments. I went to make a deposit yesterday and it is NOT there, I have checked everywhere. The only thing I can think to do is to ask for another check- I will of course offer to have the stop payment on the first one deducted from the amount owed. I just don't want to be thought of as irresponsible. Anyone else ever had this experience? any advice?
Crazy8 09:48 AM 08-27-2013
I found one in the garbage one time, LOL!!! I swore it couldn't be in there but donned some rubber gloves and went searching anyway because it was driving me insane that I couldn't find it. Sure enough, it was in there!! So, check your trash before you ask for a new one, LOL!
Maria2013 09:52 AM 08-27-2013
never happen to me (not trying to rub it in) I have a system, write receipt at my desk and file payment in the appropriate drawer right away, hasn't failed me yet

if I were you, I would take another look around then I wouldn't stress over it any longer, contact the parent, ask them to put a stop to old check and issue you a new one, good idea deducting for their trouble
mom2many 09:54 AM 08-27-2013
I had this happen once. I always put my checks in a drawer, but somehow it got misplaced and was lost. I notified the dcp and they reissued me a new check. I felt so stupid, but they were very gracious and had no problems with it.
Cradle2crayons 09:55 AM 08-27-2013
Wile it's never happened to me before (I will never accept checks) I can completely sympathize with you. I'd be embarrassed to.

But remember, we aren't perfect. During drop offs sometimes things get messed up.

I'd look on the floor, under furniture, in the garbage. Anywhere I hadn't already looked.

Then call and do as yu suggested. Tough thing but nobody is perfect !!
lovemykidstoo 10:02 AM 08-27-2013
Yes I did have this happen once. I record all of my income, expenses, arrival times in my Forms, Facts and Figures receipt book. Well one time I must have stuck a check in there to record and turned the page. The check was stuck in a month that had already passed, so I didn't notice it. I told the parent that I misplaced it, but knew it was in the house somewhere so we didn't bother putting a stop payment on it. Since I knew it didn't leave the house and that it had no chance of being cashed. She wrote me a new one. Found it 6 months later!! No big deal. It happens.
Patches 10:04 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by 2 young 2 feel this old:
My DCP's pay either Friday or Monday before care. Yesterday DCM handed me a check when they arrived and I SWEAR I put it in the kitchen cupboard with the rest of the payments. I went to make a deposit yesterday and it is NOT there, I have checked everywhere. The only thing I can think to do is to ask for another check- I will of course offer to have the stop payment on the first one deducted from the amount owed. I just don't want to be thought of as irresponsible. Anyone else ever had this experience? any advice?
Yes!!
I threw a money order in the trash. I figured it out before it was too late but I was panicking for sure. At least yours is a check and not cash or money order. That's a plus
sharlan 10:06 AM 08-27-2013
I am going through this right now.

A parent stopped by on Fri and paid either $108 or $180 (I can't remember) in cash. I tossed the envelope on my desk and now I can't find it. I had an interview on Sun (a no show) and cleaned off my desk. I've torn my kitchen apart along with my bedroom.

I will dump all the trash bags after my dh goes to bed tonight. He will hit the ceiling if he finds out.
Maria2013 10:10 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I am going through this right now.

A parent stopped by on Fri and paid either $108 or $180 (I can't remember) in cash.
you don't know what they're suppose to pay you?
Maria2013 10:11 AM 08-27-2013
sorry, forgot to wish you good luck
lovemykidstoo 10:27 AM 08-27-2013
Pray to St. Anthony. He is the finder of lost things.
Familycare71 10:29 AM 08-27-2013
It has happened to me- we didn't put stop payment on it because it was in my house- somewhere!! the parents had no issue writing a new one. I did eventually find it- it was stuck between my wall and desk!
snbauser 10:35 AM 08-27-2013
Happened to me when I was first starting out. I knew the parent had handed me the check and I could have sworn I knew where I put it. Never did find it. After that I created a tuition box that is right next to the sign in sheet. This way parents are not handing me money during drop offs. It can get too crazy.
2 young 2 feel this old 10:38 AM 08-27-2013
Thanks for all the good wishes! I have searched the entire house. The garbage from yesterday has gone to the outside can already so after the little ones leave I will "dumpster dive" and make sure it isn't in there, and I am fortunate that it can be replaced if it isn't found.
Sharlan, Good luck to you finding your envelope!
2 young 2 feel this old 10:42 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Happened to me when I was first starting out. I knew the parent had handed me the check and I could have sworn I knew where I put it. Never did find it. After that I created a tuition box that is right next to the sign in sheet. This way parents are not handing me money during drop offs. It can get too crazy.
This - what exactly did you use?
sharlan 10:51 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
you don't know what they're suppose to pay you?
She is supposed to pay $36 weekly, but often pays ahead. She either paid for 3 weeks or 5, I didn't really look at the envelope.
SilverSabre25 10:58 AM 08-27-2013
I've done it twice, with two different families. Both were checks, both I got a replacement, both I knew for sure they were SOMEwhere in my posession I just didn't know where! One family wanted to put a stop payment on because they "didn't feel comfortable with a missing check" (looking back, they really didn't trust me fully on a lot of levels)> I eventually found that one in the glove box of the car

The other one The family was FINE writing a new check, didn't bat an eye "It happens. Just let us know if/when you find the new one."

That one I eventually found too, months later but i can't remember where.

After the second one I tacked an envelope to the wall by the door to stick my checks in. Haven't lost one since
snbauser 11:07 AM 08-27-2013
I actually bought a small latch box (think jewelry box type) that was unfinished at michael's. I stained it, cut a hole in the top large enough for parents to slide in a check, and wrote in sharpie "Payments" Cost me about $5 total and has lasted me 10 years now.
sharlan 11:14 AM 08-27-2013
She is supposed to pay $36 weekly, but often pays ahead. She either paid for 3 weeks or 5, I didn't really look at the envelope.
My niece and I just dumped the trash and found the envelope. I had taken the money out, put it in my wallet, and threw the envelope away. I don't remember doing it, but I must have.

I normally, put everything in the front of my desk drawer as soon as it's handed to me.

All of my parents pay in cash, except for one. She does a direct deposit to my checking account.
butterfly 12:33 PM 08-27-2013
I also made myself a payment box. I bought a box with a lid at the Dollar Tree. I cut a slit in it and labeled it "payments". It also sits by my sign in sheet.

I started this a while back when I had one parent insist that they paid me, but I couldn't find their check anywhere, nor did I remember ever taking a payment from them.

Now everyone just puts the payment in the box and if it's not there by the end of the week, I start calling them.
SilverSabre25 12:40 PM 08-27-2013
My niece and I just dumped the trash and found the envelope. I had taken the money out, put it in my wallet, and threw the envelope away. I don't remember doing it, but I must have.

I normally, put everything in the front of my desk drawer as soon as it's handed to me.

All of my parents pay in cash, except for one. She does a direct deposit to my checking account.
glad you found it!
2 young 2 feel this old 04:12 PM 08-27-2013
Found the missing payment . . . in the car I have no clue how it got in there (that is not even the car I drove yesterday), unless our "sock monster" is now taking paper. At least it has been located, and I will be taking the advice posted here and creating a payment box! Thanks All!
Michael 04:16 PM 08-27-2013
Good!
Patches 05:00 PM 08-27-2013

Found the missing payment . . . in the car I have no clue how it got in there (that is not even the car I drove yesterday), unless our "sock monster" is now taking paper. At least it has been located, and I will be taking the advice posted here and creating a payment box! Thanks All!
Glad you both found it
lovemylife 08:46 AM 08-28-2013
I have done that once with a check! I was so embarrassed! Because I am extremely organized and on top of things! I deducted the stop payment fee out of the check to pay for it. The mom didn't mind, since we have known each other for so long. A week later I found the check, one of the kids found it on the counter and put it in our play cash register! The mom and I had a great laugh!
DaisyMamma 10:24 AM 08-28-2013
Yep. I told them i put it through the washer. I knew it was in the house somewhere but didnt want to cover a stop payment fee
Jewels 11:19 AM 08-28-2013
Oh my gosh I've lost like 3, no one has ever had a problem with it, or made a stop payment, I am known for losing things, seriously I lost my drivers license 2x in 2 weeks, one time it was given to a sheriff at a carnival and he returned it to me, and then the following weekend I left it somewhere and someone mailed it back, I have a horrible problem with putting stuff in my back pockets and losing my cards, I'm awful everyone knows it, its good I don't leave the house to much, or actually I think I've gotten worse since being home so much, I don't have a routine when I leave. But anyways, my credit union has where I can take a picture of a check now to deposit it with my cell phone, best thing ever, I will never lose a check again, and most of my parents pay electronically anyways.
2grls4us 07:00 PM 08-28-2013
I actually had one I put in an envelope at the atm deposit and it disappeared. When I called the bank about my deposit being off they did not show receiving it and they shred the envelopes after each day. So never using that feature again. Parents were understanding, I offered to pay the stop payment fee but they said no.
MotherNature 04:51 AM 08-29-2013
I haven't done it yet w/ daycare cash, but I have dropped $100 getting out at the thrift store on a wet winter night. I realized I didn't have what I was just paid at the register & ran outside. I found $60 of it. In my former chef job, I lost my w-2 at tax time & had t pay for a new copy. Glad you found your $though!
sahm1225 10:59 PM 08-30-2013
Yep. I accidentally washed my jeans with 2 checks in my pockets.

I was so embarrassed but I told both families and neither batted an eye giving me New Checks. One family wrote on the memo line of the new check 'pleAse don't wash me!' Lol
Michelle 07:05 AM 08-31-2013
My wonderful dh was suppose to go turn in several attendance sheets and provider payment reports to our local agency totaling over $4,000.
He put the clipboard with all the papers on top of the car and drove away.

We found the papers still attached to the clipboard a mile away from our house in the dirt.
He got a "little" lecture!!!!

This stuff happens...
Bill Cosby says that all children are brain damaged, but I believe they make us brain damaged.
Patches 07:45 AM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by 2grls4us:
I actually had one I put in an envelope at the atm deposit and it disappeared. When I called the bank about my deposit being off they did not show receiving it and they shred the envelopes after each day. So never using that feature again. Parents were understanding, I offered to pay the stop payment fee but they said no.
I deposit at the ATM but its the kind that doesn't use envelopes and counts the cash and checks for you. Well, I deposited $96 in cash and a few days later they took it out of my account and said they received it I called them and said "how could I have not deposited the cash in there if the ATM counts it for you?? Don't know if they ever found it but they did credit it back to my account
Patches 07:48 AM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Yep. I accidentally washed my jeans with 2 checks in my pockets.

I was so embarrassed but I told both families and neither batted an eye giving me New Checks. One family wrote on the memo line of the new check 'pleAse don't wash me!' Lol
nice
mamac 08:07 AM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by 2grls4us:
Originally Posted by Patches:
I deposit at the ATM but its the kind that doesn't use envelopes and counts the cash and checks for you. Well, I deposited $96 in cash and a few days later they took it out of my account and said they received it I called them and said "how could I have not deposited the cash in there if the ATM counts it for you?? Don't know if they ever found it but they did credit it back to my account
I learned long ago never to trust atm deposits. More than once I have had a deposit go missing and was never credited back the amount was "lost". That's why I have my payments due on Friday because the bank is open later so I have time to deposit the checks/cash in person.
Familycare71 08:12 AM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I learned long ago never to trust atm deposits. More than once I have had a deposit go missing and was never credited back the amount was "lost". That's why I have my payments due on Friday because the bank is open later so I have time to deposit the checks/cash in person.
I have always done ATM deposits... But- I also deposit large amounts at times including cash- wonder if I should change that!
jessrlee 08:17 AM 08-31-2013
I have lost a check before. Thankfully the mom was super nice about it!!
UtahMomma 10:29 AM 08-31-2013
Right after a DCP hands me a check, I deposit it to my account with the bank app on my phone. Very convenient and I don't have to worry about it after that.
sleepinghart 12:04 PM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:

~...Me neither. That is the truth! One time I deposited a small amount of cash into one and I didn't find out it was MIA until one day while I was at the bank on other business(it was about a week later if that long). I wasn't that worried because it wasn't much at all; it was more concerning to me where it went though...to a paranormal universe or perhaps just a thieves pocket(I'm such a curious person and all). I was willing to let it go and let it be a lesson to me(glad it was a cheap one) because my husband at the time(now ex*) had warned me about depositing anything into those and not to do it.o, but they absolutely insisited on helping. I even got to go inside the area where the drive-thru tellers work and watch them & chat as they emptied and checked all the cracks & crevices of that box. I ended up there quite awhile and even ended up making some new friends . I asked didn't they have cameras on the deposit machine at all times to which they replied yes. One lady(who wasn't even waiting on me but was the teller beside mine said..."and she's just now noticing it?" in a way to like imply that that was suspicious, but my teller got aggravated at her and firmly and plainly told her "yes". I was thinking in my head "gee lady if I was going to lie about this couldn't I make up a better amount than a measly 40 bucks(.. but then again I wouldn't know, I haven't taken all my forensic/criminal psych courses yet so I'm not fully up to speed on how they think)?" ~Anyway, they credited me my money back so I was out nothing but I still feel kind of at fault for depositing cash in the first place. After it was over I went out and bought that nice teller a box of some kind of Christmas cookies or candies, can't remember which, for all the hard work and effort she had spent on me that day and even told Debbie Downer beside her she could have some too.
Lyss 02:04 PM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
My wonderful dh was suppose to go turn in several attendance sheets and provider payment reports to our local agency totaling over $4,000.
He put the clipboard with all the papers on top of the car and drove away.

We found the papers still attached to the clipboard a mile away from our house in the dirt.
He got a "little" lecture!!!!

This stuff happens...
Bill Cosby says that all children are brain damaged, but I believe they make us brain damaged.

My DH was supposed to take two checks to the bank for me one day but when he got to the bank he suddenly couldn't find one of them ( it was endorsed even!) We never found it, I still just picture it floating around town somewhere.

The DC family was great, I told them to minus the check cancellation fee out of the new one but they gave me the full amount and said they've done the same thing so they understood
providerandmomof4 05:20 PM 08-31-2013
Yep....the trash can as well....I couldn't believe it. I guess in a frenzy to tidy up, as usual
MyAngels 06:20 PM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I have always done ATM deposits... But- I also deposit large amounts at times including cash- wonder if I should change that!
I always get a receipt when I make an ATM deposit. My credit union has ATMs that give you a receipt that includes an image of the check you deposited, and counts any cash (bills only) that you deposit so there's no room for error these days, but having the receipt makes me feel better anyway .
sleepinghart 12:15 PM 09-01-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I always get a receipt when I make an ATM deposit. My credit union has ATMs that give you a receipt that includes an image of the check you deposited, and counts any cash (bills only) that you deposit so there's no room for error these days, but having the receipt makes me feel better anyway .

~You know, I think we are talking about two different things now. Y'all are talking about just the regular old ATM machines(the kind that you can withdraw money from with a card), right? ...And I am talking about....Well it's more like a box and you use your bank deposit slips when you drop your checks/cash in them. Do y'all know what I mean? I'm sorry for any confusion, if any, I caused.
Familycare71 01:17 PM 09-01-2013
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
~You know, I think we are talking about two different things now. Y'all are talking about just the regular old ATM machines(the kind that you can withdraw money from with a card), right? ...And I am talking about....Well it's more like a box and you use your bank deposit slips when you drop your checks/cash in them. Do y'all know what I mean? I'm sorry for any confusion, if any, I caused.
I do know what your talking about!
But my ATM has me deposit $ in an envelope so the amount on the receipt is the amount I input into the machine. So when they physically take the envelope and count the $ there is no way for me to "prove" I was right- just like the old metal lock box
Tags:payment issues
Reply Up