Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hockey Stick to Daycare
Turquoise14 08:26 AM 01-20-2015
Dcb 2 came to my house with a toy hockey stick and a ball today. Mom said he had to sleep we it last night. They have never brought toys before. She said she won't bring it again if it's a problem today. I said well, it most likely will be. What was she thinking? Yeah, a hockey stick will totally work around three toddlers and two babies, especially since dcb is the biggest toy hoarder/stealer. Almost funny. Got put away as soon as someone else got here. I'll let her know not to bring it again.
Controlled Chaos 08:52 AM 01-20-2015
Do you have a policy about toys from home?
Turquoise14 09:02 AM 01-20-2015
Nope. I've only been at this for five months, and it hasn't been a problem. Here's to setting a precedent.
daycarediva 09:28 AM 01-20-2015
There's a reason behind every RIDICULOUS policy I have. I would send it home, then send home a note today that says no toys/food/drinks from home effective immediately.
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 01-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
There's a reason behind every RIDICULOUS policy I have. I would send it home, then send home a note today that says no toys/food/drinks from home effective immediately.

I actually had a child a year or so ago bring a wooden toy knife to daycare.

....because it was part of his Indiana Jones costume.

Oh, well then by all means...of course he can bring it.

Not.
sharlan 09:36 AM 01-20-2015
I would have handed it right back to dcm at the door.
Play Care 09:43 AM 01-20-2015
It's so crazy! I now have a crawling infant in my care and I have other kids trying to bring in things like coins, or batteries. And their parents think its so cute.
daycarediva 09:51 AM 01-20-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It's so crazy! I now have a crawling infant in my care and I have other kids trying to bring in things like coins, or batteries. And their parents think its so cute.
I had this happen Then I called my former boss and got a GIANT pharmacy bottle (child safety lock lid) and started filling it with the kids 'treasures'. I labeled it "things that should not be brought to daycare" and it sat by my front door until the parents started SEEING ME put these ridiculous items in it and got embarrassed. I was PATTING KIDS DOWN at drop off. The backs to earrings? costume jewelry with pins? Buttons, coins, batteries, alcohol wipes, advil sample pack, you name it!
Play Care 09:57 AM 01-20-2015
I had this happen Then I called my former boss and got a GIANT pharmacy bottle (child safety lock lid) and started filling it with the kids 'treasures'. I labeled it "things that should not be brought to daycare" and it sat by my front door until the parents started SEEING ME put these ridiculous items in it and got embarrassed. I was PATTING KIDS DOWN at drop off. The backs to earrings? costume jewelry with pins? Buttons, coins, batteries, alcohol wipes, advil sample pack, you name it!

Great idea, I'm going to try that!!
Meeko 03:27 PM 01-20-2015
Ooh....I want a "No-No" jar"! I could put it next to my pen container in the sign-in area...
Attached: ashes.jpg (30.0 KB) 
Febby 05:14 PM 01-20-2015
I try to catch inappropriate things when they come in and hand them back to the parent. I had one come in the other day carrying a bottle of Tylenol. When I went to take it from the child, mom told me that her daughter wanted it and that she was going to cry if I took it. I took anyway and handed it back to mom telling her that she absolutely could not have a bottle of Tylenol. Mom kept trying to argue with me ("but she wants it") and I said no. Before Mom left, she managed to slip it back into her child's diaper bag (without telling me) because she didn't want her daughter to feel bad.

When I don't catch it at drop-off, I give things like that to my director to be locked up in the office and leave a note in the child's cubby telling the parents that it was inappropriate because blahblahblah and that it's in the office.

Yup. Outside toys/food/drinks cause more problems than they're worth.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, steal toys, toy hoarder
Reply Up